• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what do you people think of this litter box?

I don't like the grid ones, even plastic grids!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

why? I have grid at my bird cage for just over 1 yr., it works very nicely for my 2 lovebirds.
Yea but they have different feet to rabbits! I wouldn't use anything like that because sore hocks. But that's just my opinion!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

It depends on the species you are using it for, and if you are using anything on top of the grid. Birds are fine with mesh - they have feet that are designed to grip on to branches. Rabbits etc can get toes caught in floor mesh, or develop other foot problems if made to live on a mesh base - their feet are designed for solid surfaces (although it's more of an issue with mesh-based cages rather than just a litter tray).

Personally, I think it looks nice and the raised sides are useful, but all the patterned and shaped bits will be difficult to keep clean over time.

Also - the description says it's suitable for hamsters - that's a BIG hamster :lol:

I agree with others re the grid.

I use 32 litre underbed storage boxes for all my rabbits. I fill them with newspaper and hay and give them magazine racks with hay in.

I noticed all the litter trays with that listing had grids on the base. It's not something that is usual in the UK. Some cat litter trays have re-usable litter (wax coated corn or clay granules) and these have some sort of slotted base, otherwise we use solid base trays. No grids to scrub, no trapped toes.

I noticed all the litter trays with that listing had grids on the base. It's not something that is usual in the UK. Some cat litter trays have re-usable litter (wax coated corn or clay granules) and these have some sort of slotted base, otherwise we use solid base trays. No grids to scrub, no trapped toes.

I tried the cat one - horrible.

I think the grid isn't very good for bunny feet, either, plus I don't really see the point of it? If it's to keep the bunny from sitting on wet litter, then, well, litter isn't supposed to be wet anyway if you use enough of it and clean it regularly. If you want a litter tray with a similar shape, with a low front, I think potting trays like this are much nicer:
stewart-garden-potting-tray-black-4310005.jpg

Much easier to clean, too.

Also - the description says it's suitable for hamsters - that's a BIG hamster :lol:
:lol:

https://www.facebook.com/316364165676477/videos/4920778491360263

https://www.facebook.com/316364165676477/videos/1114361702771367

see, I saw this video and the owner told me about this litter box, and she told me she got it here from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085VQ64L...1oHvGv5dNRZ4YzOa62kY9pysUO_ugJfLcQU-O5IZo_K5g

which should be the same one from the link I post

It seems to work quite well for that bun in that video, the holes are very small, I can't see how can any bun trap their feet on it

Last edited:
Just wondering why you want one with a grid - is it anything to do with you peeing on your neighbour's grass?:lol:

It's not just about the rabbit trapping their feet, it's uncomfortable/unnatural for rabbit feet to sit on a grid and they could end up with sore feet.

Uhm, grids or wire floors usually aren't a problem for rabbit feet, with the excemptions of rex furred and giant rabbits. If it's only the litter box I wouldn't expect problems even with those breeds.

That said, my rabbits have their litterbox right under the hay rack, no idea how I could get them to pee anywhere else, where there's nothing to munch on. A grid would be instantly covered, being rendered pointless.
I'm happy with wood stove pellets under a layer of hay, I can roll up and replace the layer of wasted hay a few times before I have to change the pellets (I just scoop out the worst spots when replacing the hay). I can't imagine a grid being as efficient in odor control.
I can't imagine those grid working well, but I haven't tried it, and I can't remember of reading about positve experiences. It might depend on the individual rabbits, but mine would just pee and poop wherever the hay rack is. ( I know, was away for 5 days and as a backup to the teen feeding my rabbits I left a big basket full with hay on its side in a different room - they instantly made this backup feeder their preferred peeing spot. Didn't think to put a litterbox there too, what a mess)

It's not just about the rabbit trapping their feet, it's uncomfortable/unnatural for rabbit feet to sit on a grid and they could end up with sore feet.

okay rabbit people, explain this to me: how can this be true? that rabbit in the video sit on that tray for say 15 to 20 sec. and left. He is either peeing or doing his poo. How can a 20 to 30 sec. harm his feet in such a short time?

the other thing is, those rubber lots nice and soft

as to trapping the feet, look how small the holes are, how can their feet remotely ends up in the hole?

Last edited:
Back