• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wendyhouse or ChickenCoop? Plus some Run questions.

Wow, this has really opened my eyes :shock:!

My boys are in a 7ft chicken coop with a 6 x 4 run attached during the day while I am out and free range in the garden when I am at home but reading this has made me realise a few things. At night they are just in the coop, which to be fair gives them a lot of stretching room but like has been said, when the weather is terrible (as it is today) they are really restricted to the top level. I have some protection to go around the sides when it rains etc but it has a tendency to be a bit "rattly" in the wind so they tend to go up out of the way anyway.

We have made loads of modifications to the coop i.e. adding another door for ease of cleaning, attaching a base, weather proofing etc but I have found that there is a patch where Otis tends to dig at the wire and he has managed to start to break it apart and I have to check it really carefully every day to make sure there are no sharp edges etc.

I think I need to invest in a playhouse! Not only will it be easier to clean but it will offer a lot more room for my boys to move about in.

I love this forum!! :D:thumb:

My boys are in a 7ft chicken coop with a 6 x 4 run attached during the day while I am out and free range in the garden when I am at home but reading this has made me realise a few things. At night they are just in the coop, which to be fair gives them a lot of stretching room but like has been said, when the weather is terrible (as it is today) they are really restricted to the top level. I have some protection to go around the sides when it rains etc but it has a tendency to be a bit "rattly" in the wind so they tend to go up out of the way anyway.

We have made loads of modifications to the coop i.e. adding another door for ease of cleaning, attaching a base, weather proofing etc but I have found that there is a patch where Otis tends to dig at the wire and he has managed to start to break it apart and I have to check it really carefully every day to make sure there are no sharp edges etc.

I think I need to invest in a playhouse! Not only will it be easier to clean but it will offer a lot more room for my boys to move about in.

That's fabulous! You sound like an amazing rabbit owner :love:

I'm glad you learnt from this. :) I couldn't find anything on the internet about keeping rabbit in coops but now your post has given an insight of how 'impractical' it is.

If anyone wanted to know, I bought myself that playhouse. It was bigger then I (or my mum) thought. But at least my buns will live like kings when I'm finished. :)

Back