• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wendyhouse or ChickenCoop? Plus some Run questions.

FuzzyBunyons

Young Bun
Hey, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

Currently, my two lads are sitting in accommodation that I absolutely detest and I thought it was about time to get something decent, bigger, and more weather friendly. Now that I have a job I can actually afford decent things without having to borrow money from my parents.

So my first question:-

Wendyhouse or Chicken Coup?

My boys are currently in a hutch too small for them. My mum though it was a great idea to rush into things and I didn't expect the hutch to be as small as it was and I hate it.

So I want something bigger so I thought Wendy house. This one to be precise. I could add extra levels, and they'd actually have some room and can be insulated for winter. However, it will need to be lifted off the floor as it will need to be moved around and prevent it from getting wet. It will also need to support my weight when I go inside. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :)

However, my mum wants my to get a chicken coup. She says it would be easier to clean and move around then a Wendy house and I wouldn't have to edit it to my needs. However, I'm not convinced. I haven't seen them in person before and I don't how how well they'd suit having rabbits in them.

What do you think?

Question two:-

What can I use to fasten my run together, which is secure but will be able to 'undo/untie' so I can move it around?

My run is about 2 meters long by one meter. It's basically two small runs fastened together by hooks and eyes. However as the wood became soft (due to rain and British weather) the hooks and the eyes fell out and is now fastened by cables ties.

However this is less then preferable as the run needs to be dissembled and reassembled when I'm moving around the garden. I need something that is more secure then hook and eyes so that they don't fall out but is still able to be fastened and unfastened so the run can be made into smaller and manageable pieces to move.

Any ideas?

Question Three:-

How and what can I use to cover my run for weather protection?

So I want to cover my run (much like a hutch cover you can get (which covers the whole of the hutch)) as I don't want my rabbits getting soggy nor their toys and such.

Is having a cover that covers the whole of the run a good idea? I was thinking of having corrugated plastic on the top for the rain and having canvas on the sides for the rain/snow/wind and sun during the summer. Maybe having roll up windows that tents have on nice days to allow more air flow. However, I'm afraid the bunyons will overheat (If anyone been in a tent during summer then you'll know.)

Am I going to far with this idea? XD It feels over the top. In any case, if you have any ideas on what I can do to cover my hutch and material, I'd love to hear them.

--------------

Okay, I think I'm done now. Sorry for such a long post. I'm good at waffling. :) Hopefully, you'll actually make it to the end and if you can help with anything it would be very much appreciated. :)

:wave:

Wendy house :thumb: The thing with coops is that the inside bit (the hutch part) is only 2ft x 2ft maybe and inside space is just as important as outside space so in horrible weather they can be cooped up in a small area with nowhere to really get rid of any energy :)

With Wendy houses, you can lino them so they are super easy to clean out, then you can keep all the hay in a litter tray and hay racks so you just need to sweep up whenever it gets too messy :D

I was going to buy a coop a few years ago but when I saw it in person I went against it, that was an 8ft long one too but it was only maybe 3ft inside.

The minimum for 2 buns is a 6x2x2 hutch with attached 6x4/8x4 run, so a Wendy house would be great as it offers the same, if not a little more, square footage as a 6ft hutch :)

I have clear tarpauling over my outdoor pairs run and it works fine :) I'm thinking about getting corrugated plastic too though :)

Last edited:
Brill!

That settles the first question! Wendy house it is. XD I least I've seen this house in person and know how big it is.

My mum went ahead and bought a load of corrugated plastic. So at least that bit is sorted. I know its defiantly better then clear plastic I have now.

Brill!

That settles the first question! Wendy house it is. XD I least I've seen this house in person and know how big it is.

My mum went ahead and bought a load of corrugated plastic. So at least that bit is sorted. I know its defiantly better then clear plastic I have now.

Excellent :thumb: You can pick up cut offs of lino in carpet shops really cheap :)

I'm not sure about the run question! If you were ever looking for a new one though there is a 6x4 one on eBay with small, fox proof mesh for £70 :) very easy access if you need to get in as the roof folds off or there are 2 small doors. I bought mine 2 years ago I think and it's currently folded flat by the side of the house, in the summer I'm going to paint it to preserve it a bit more though :p

Wendy house for the reasons mentioned above.

It sounds like your run has had a bit of a tough time so maybe look at getting a new one if you are able

there is a chap on ebay that makes great hutch and run covers but a sheet of tarpaulin would also do the job

definitely wendy house :thumb: coops are really awkward to clean out as well.

i would also consider getting a new run, if the wood has gone 'soft' then its probably not very predator-proof. you can get lots of big collapsable ones that should be fairly easy to move about. i have just ordered one from the welfare hutch company and they're very reasonably priced for the sizes that they are :D

Wendy house (as others have already said). I made the mistake of getting a chicken coop (7 foot long) and it is defo too small. I now have a shed for the outdoor rabbits and it is so great to be able to go in and be with them even in the wind and rain. You could get a shed for the price of the wendy house. Any reason to get the w. house and not a shed? Not sure about runs. Lots of people will know on here though! Best of luck :wave:

Thanks for so many replies guys. I didn't think I'd get so much feed back!

Wendy house for the reasons mentioned above.

It sounds like your run has had a bit of a tough time so maybe look at getting a new one if you are able

there is a chap on ebay that makes great hutch and run covers but a sheet of tarpaulin would also do the job

Any chance you can remember the name of the fellow? I'll go look him up.

You could get a shed for the price of the wendy house. Any reason to get the w. house and not a shed? Not sure about runs. Lots of people will know on here though! Best of luck :wave:

I would love to get a shed however I still live with my parents and I asked my mum and it was a definite no. So... unfortunately I have to go with the smaller, next best thing.

Here's that run I've got :) A run with soft wood would worry me a little and not only can chewy buns have a go, animals on the outside can too :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6ft-FULLY...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item3cc8404605

Looks good. In fact looks very good. I'll have a look around and see if I can find it somewhere other then ebay.

With the run:-

I was hoping to replace the wood. I've done it once as the buns completely chewed the wood to bits so I had to replace parts of it (at the same time I switched the wire around so the cheeky devils won't do it again).

Would it be cheaper just to buy another run or would I save money by replacing the wood?

What kind of wire is it? To make it safe and predator proof, the small gauge mesh is best :) chicken wire can be munched on by both rabbits and foxes. Tbh, I would just buy another run :) to preserve it longer you can buy non toxic paint cheap in loads of colours :)

What kind of wire is it? To make it safe and predator proof, the small gauge mesh is best :) chicken wire can be munched on by both rabbits and foxes. Tbh, I would just buy another run :) to preserve it longer you can buy non toxic paint cheap in loads of colours :)

It's good wire, bunny and fox proof. It's just the wood. And I had a good look at that run. It's better then that hunk of junk sitting outside! XD I think I'll just buy a new run. I'll keep the wire from the old one though, you never know when it comes in handy! Thanks Aly&Poppy. That's another thing to scratch of my list!:)

Hi
This link can help answer most of your questions. Has lots of housing ideas and advice on how to fox proof and weather proof their homes. Hope it helps!
http://best4bunny.com/bunny-care/housing-ideas/

Thanks for the link! The site is very helpful, thank you!

It's good wire, bunny and fox proof. It's just the wood. And I had a good look at that run. It's better then that hunk of junk sitting outside! XD I think I'll just buy a new run. I'll keep the wire from the old one though, you never know when it comes in handy! Thanks Aly&Poppy. That's another thing to scratch of my list!:)

Yaaay :D I love buying runs :lol: :oops: I have .. that wooden one, 2 metal ones and 4 puppy pens. I only have 4 rabbits :lol: and 2 of them are indoor so only go out in summer months :lol:

I have that exact same Wendyhouse for my giant rabbit and I think it's great. :)
It's not too hard to construct, not that I did it. And we managed to get a catflap installed!

I personally am not sure how easy it would be to get another level in, cause it isn't massively big.

And as for holding your weight...

IMG_4315-001_zpsfdef52dd.jpg

I have that exact same Wendyhouse for my giant rabbit and I think it's great. :)
It's not too hard to construct, not that I did it. And we managed to get a catflap installed!

I personally am not sure how easy it would be to get another level in, cause it isn't massively big.

And as for holding your weight...

Haha! Brilliant! Good! If its good enough for a giant I'm sure it's good enough for my boys. It looks to be up off the floor, is this correct? I was going to add legs so it was off the the ground so then I needed a way for it too support my weight. But if its already off the floor, then I I don't have to worry.

I have that Wendy house. I only paid £80 for it though, think it was a 20% off deal.

I have attached a 8ft run to the side with a cat flap and put a little wooden table infront of the window. Strawberry loves to sit looking out.

Cleaning out is dead easy and its much better than a chicken coop which doesn't have enough floor space.

Haha! Brilliant! Good! If its good enough for a giant I'm sure it's good enough for my boys. It looks to be up off the floor, is this correct? I was going to add legs so it was off the the ground so then I needed a way for it too support my weight. But if its already off the floor, then I I don't have to worry.

I'm pretty sure we didn't put anything underneath it, so yeah I think it is raised already. :)

I think the run Aly&poppy has is made by 'custom hutches and runs' :) if you didn't want to go through eBay

No it's not , the seller is linked above . And I'd thoroughly advise anyone thinking of buying from 'custom hutches and runs' to shop elsewhere . The first run I bought came in unusable condition and the replacement sent out was nearly as bad , plus very flimsy and shoddily made . I wish I'd paid more for a decent run .

I love my rabbits wendy house, it's so easy to clean out, I can sit in there with the buns and don't get soaked in the rain. I saved and saved and went for a slightly more expensive one, but its totally worth it. I have heard quite a few negative things about coops, such as being awkward to clean, smaller than they appear to be, flimsy cheap wood, things like that :s Personally I think I'd avoid them, but other people may think different. I guess at the end of the day it's down to personal preference! :)

Back