• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Watching Fox respond to Fox Watch - 5am

nicki

Warren Scout
Hi all,

I have written before about everything we have done to protect our very secure bunny shed and run from fox disturbance. Unfortunately, we live in a very green area of NW London and there are many foxes in the vicinity. Our precautions include 2 Fox watches on mains power supply, powerful sensor security lights, 6 foot + perimeter fencing in most of the garden with prickle strips and Scoot fox deterrent. There is no way the Fox can physically hurt our bunnies but I do worry about them being scared. They are shut in at night and have an inner door over their Runaround tunnel. We have raised the majority of our fences with trellis to 7 foot+ but just have a few more to do between our house and our neighbours so there are a couple of weak points.

I couldn't sleep and have just watched a fox being picked up by our security lights and the Fox watch. It immediately shrank back to get out of the light and then tried to exit over the side initially but couldn't because of the trees and high fencing. It then ran to the back and must have got out where 1 fence panel needs raising.

It was nerve-racking but good to see the combination of lights/Fox Watch having an effect and keeping the fox well away from the protected area around our Bunny shed. I am around a lot during the day and have had no daytime visits but I know it will attempt to get back in, so we will continue to ensure all fences are as high as possible + prickle strips and to be extremely vigilant.
Nicki:cry:

Sounds like you are doing the best you can to deter the wee blighter. Hope he gives up and stays away.

I think Foxwatches are excellent - and having them on mains must be good. We have 6 on batteries.

The only thing I would mention is that when the weather gets bad they tend to mist or freeze up so the sensors dont work so well and I have found that you have to bring them in to defrost and dry out during the day inside.

If you ever have any problems with them you can send them back to the manfacturers who will renew and repair!

I think Foxwatches are excellent - and having them on mains must be good. We have 6 on batteries.

The only thing I would mention is that when the weather gets bad they tend to mist or freeze up so the sensors dont work so well and I have found that you have to bring them in to defrost and dry out during the day inside.

If you ever have any problems with them you can send them back to the manfacturers who will renew and repair!

Thanks Parsnipbun,

I have also found that putting WD40 with a soft cloth on the inside of the screen helps them to stop misting up.
They are definitely better on mains - about 30% more powerful but we had to install an outdoor electrical box which was expensive and we only have a small area to protect.
Regards,
Nicki

Thanks for posting this. I have two Foxwatches and always wondered if they were actually effective. My OH saw a cat being scared away once by them but we had no ideas if they worked on foxes. We are unsure whether a fox has ever been into our garden but we are facing a large area of woodland and our neighbour has indicated that there have been foxes here before, so it's a precaution.

We have a foxwatch but it definitely doesn't scare away the neighbouring cats. We just have one more bit of garden to rabbit-proof and then hopefully it might be too much bother for the cats to come in.

I love our foxwatch, not seen Mr fox since we bought it.

Thanks for the tip Parsnip bun re the winter.

Has no effect on the neighbouring cats, but I don't mind them as the buns are used to cats.

do fox watches not affect rabbits? we need one for cats - we have a huge cat problem and next doors climbs our oak tree and has killed baby squirrels and its really doing my head in... but all the cat scarer ones also say rabbits and squirrels... dont wanna hurt my rabbits, or scare the squirrels, but fox watch says ok for rabbits.... but will it work for cats? if not i think we're going to have to fit an electric fence (the problem is becoming THAT bad) cant leave doors open it comes in, terrifies my rabbits, poos in our garden ive had eough.

ive often wondered if the fox watches work at all so good to know they do!

Ours is right next to the buns and they don't appear to take any notice when it goes off so I'm pretty sure they can't hear it.

do fox watches not affect rabbits? we need one for cats - we have a huge cat problem and next doors climbs our oak tree and has killed baby squirrels and its really doing my head in... but all the cat scarer ones also say rabbits and squirrels... dont wanna hurt my rabbits, or scare the squirrels, but fox watch says ok for rabbits.... but will it work for cats? if not i think we're going to have to fit an electric fence (the problem is becoming THAT bad) cant leave doors open it comes in, terrifies my rabbits, poos in our garden ive had eough.

The Fox Watch definitely does not affect the rabbits. Mine lie very near it and do not react when I set it off as I pass.
I think they can work, but the fox has to learn to associate it going off with its movements so you have to persist with it and make sure it is working properly at all times.
In my case I think the light going off at the same time also helps as it gets zapped from all angles.
Preventing them getting in in the first place is definitely the way to go but it is not easy - I think with cats even more difficult!
Nicki

Foxwatches as such are designed to annoy foxes and are at the frequency that foxes can hear but fid annoying - they do not affect cats.

It might be worth ringing the company that makes them and chatting with them.

If you do fit an electric fence it will have to be switched on ALL the time otherwise the rabbits will nibble the wires when it is off and ruin it.

Foxwatches as such are designed to annoy foxes and are at the frequency that foxes can hear but fid annoying - they do not affect cats.

It might be worth ringing the company that makes them and chatting with them.

If you do fit an electric fence it will have to be switched on ALL the time otherwise the rabbits will nibble the wires when it is off and ruin it.

The way our garden is... odd... so where the cat comes thru is down steps on decking on one side.... then lower down on other (theres an electric socket down there). It'll be a last resort tho as one squirrel makes its route up our gate (its bloody scary when you're standing there and it jumps up haha) and runs along the fence :-/

Back