• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WARNING: Hay shortage

Just been chatting to our Hay guy's. Things look very bad for the next 12 months.

Current supply problems will continue and the new season hay if they get a chance to cut it will be VERY BAD QUALITY.
This is a nationwide problem as nobody seems to be able to get any hay from anywhere atm.

Our companies are now switching to plan B for meadow hay's to secure our requirements for the next 12 months. More info when we have it.

looks like i will be eating beans on toast for a year then to ensure the bunsters comfort :lol:

Sorry to ask a stupid question but...........whats wrong with petshop hay??

Claire

It's generally poorer quality as it's been through packaging etc so isn't so fresh - plus it's much more expensive! You can get a whole bale for about £3 when a little bag costs that (or more) in a petshop

It's generally poorer quality as it's been through packaging etc so isn't so fresh - plus it's much more expensive! You can get a whole bale for about £3 when a little bag costs that (or more) in a petshop

:oops: Oh dear, ive been buying it bagged from the petshop. :?

Is there still plenty of straw about? I'm just thinking that I buy the farm shop hay for bedding, but straw would do. All the hay they eat is bought online, eg Oxbow timothy, which is from the US.

I've managed to get a bale from my usual place, but she would only sell me one cos her stocks are getting low for her horses... price also risen from £2.50 to £3.00
I'll have to find somewhere else pretty quick before this bale runs out! :?

I've managed to get a bale from my usual place, but she would only sell me one cos her stocks are getting low for her horses... price also risen from £2.50 to £3.00
I'll have to find somewhere else pretty quick before this bale runs out! :?

If you get desperate, you could try kennelgate (next to gamstons vets) it's quite nice hay...£2.99 a bag so not exactly cheap but still better than some places.

If you get desperate, you could try kennelgate (next to gamstons vets) it's quite nice hay...£2.99 a bag so not exactly cheap but still better than some places.

cheers Mandy, I have 2 kennelgates really close to me - I will go there if I can't get any from a farm :D

I buy for £4.99 a bag :? * a very big bag mind you* but it is very worrying - I am blessed in the fact that I dont mind a price increase - *still living with parents* but its just getting it that will be the problem.... :roll: oh well we will see what happens

I wonder if the farms are affected down here? We havent had half as much rain as the rest of the country I believe :? I've just got 10 bags of dustfree in so will be ok for a while :)

Back