• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wabbit Wednesday - Little Bunny Questions that you've been Pondering

:lol: Yes!! I get my newspapers donated to me from family as I don't read the paper, but I often get engrossed in a story while I'm cleaning litter trays!

Just a thought - I work for Costa and every day if the customers don't take them home we throw the papers in the recycling.

If anyone needs some and has a costa nearby, it might be worth asking if the Baristas will save you some

I wonder why Amy doesn't lick my mum at all, when she licks practically everyone else? I think it's because my mum smokes and she doesn't like the smell, like how right now I have a pre shampoo hot oil treatment in my hair (...don't ask :lol:) and she's sulking because I don't smell right.

But then again, she licked my uncle when she met him, and he may or may not have been still smoking at the time.

I have never had to cut Louie's claws and I have had him for 5 years!

Wow :shock: that's impressive! I don't even know how often I cut Lilly's claws just whenever needed, I have cut them at least twice this year, maybe three times.

When I cut them I always notice that she has one of her toes (can't remember which foot, but one of the outside claws) that is bent round and the claw is pointing nearly upside down, it's definitely been like that for a while and I'm thinking she must've broken it at some point :? but she's never once limped or anything whilst I've had her, so could a rabbit break a toe and have it heal at a funny angle and hardly notice? Because she's never once been off food or limped and that's what I would've expected from a broken toe! Or maybe she just has a funny toe! I can't remember specifically if it was like that when I first got her because I probably wasn't very observant the first time I clipped her claws!

How do rabbits know that begging will get them something. I know they know they look cute but Doughnut just suddenly starting to do it, I remember she didn't do it at 8 weeks when I had her. After a while she then added a twirl, twirling round in excitement in between begging. In other animals these are all tricks which are taught. Is it instinct?

How do rabbits know that begging will get them something. I know they know they look cute but Doughnut just suddenly starting to do it, I remember she didn't do it at 8 weeks when I had her. After a while she then added a twirl, twirling round in excitement in between begging. In other animals these are all tricks which are taught. Is it instinct?

I wonder this too. Every morning when my mum goes to get me up for work, she gives Amy a biscuit; Amy usually goes ballistic for it, binkying about her cage. Then I get up a few minutes later, and she starts doing it again, expecting more biscuits from me. I'm not sure if she's hopeful for more or pretending she didn't get it.

She also, because her hay box is in the corner of her (dog crate) cage, likes to sit on top of it and put her front paws on the horizontal bars and beg very, very earnestly for food. Or she'll just sit and stare at me very longingly.

Always wondered if it's ok to let the rabbits free-run in the garden in the snow if its a sunny day? (a little way off yet, hopefully!)

My two always seem to know when I'm going in the cupboard / fridge for something for them, even though I'm in there quite a lot getting things out for myself. I don't know how they do it!

I've got a silly question that's not quite rabbit related but... those who use newspaper in the litter trays do you ever find yourself spotting someone in the paper and thinking what a perfect person for my rabbits to wee on?? :lol:

Frequently.:lol::lol::lol:

My question is about grooming. Poor Buttons always seems to be the one grooming + Bella rarely reciprocates.How is he likely to feel? Is it typical?

My two are the same, Will grooms Nancy but seldom gets groomed back. She seems to groom him sometimes if noones looking. I've actually been late for work occasionally if I've seen her grooming him from the window. Their setup is right outside on our patio and if I'd gone out to get my bike she would have stopped. He doesnt seem particularly upset. But when she's washing herself he gets right underneath her (shes twice his size) in the hope he'll get a stray lick. Sometimes it works, more often than not it doesnt.

You'd think he'd like being brushed or stroke as he doesnt get groomed much, but no.

Always wondered if it's ok to let the rabbits free-run in the garden in the snow if its a sunny day? (a little way off yet, hopefully!)

It's fine for healthy adults to play in snow, as long as they can access somewhere out of it when they've had enough. Just be careful with general free range safety as they'll be a lot more hungry predators that time of year.

if i want to build something to go in my rabbit shed (like a box) what wood is safe and easily found? i'm always so nervous as fern is a big chewer

That's a good question, I'm not sure what the bunny huts are usually made from. Anyone know?

That's a good question, I'm not sure what the bunny huts are usually made from. Anyone know?
Usually timber (as opposed to laminates or composites, so stuff stuck together like plywood or chipboard). Can't mbe more spefcific than that. My old rabbit used to chew and spit so we didn't worry much with him.

When I cut them I always notice that she has one of her toes (can't remember which foot, but one of the outside claws) that is bent round and the claw is pointing nearly upside down, it's definitely been like that for a while and I'm thinking she must've broken it at some point :? but she's never once limped or anything whilst I've had her, so could a rabbit break a toe and have it heal at a funny angle and hardly notice? Because she's never once been off food or limped and that's what I would've expected from a broken toe! Or maybe she just has a funny toe! I can't remember specifically if it was like that when I first got her because I probably wasn't very observant the first time I clipped her claws!
One of Lopsy's is like that: sometimes it sits normally (or isn't noticeable), sometimes it sticks up weirdly. I think he might have permanently dislocated his toe, but then surely he'd be in pain and he doesn't mind me poking about at it to try and find out what's wrong. Well, he does mind, but not immediately, more because I've stopped fetching food! It's on his front left paw. Vet couldn't find anything wrong at his first healthcheck after I got him though so maybe it's just a weird toe! Might be to do with him launching himself at the run bars and trying to climb up them when he can smell beans...!

I've got one (a day late :roll::lol:)

I have two identical bunnies - Jacquetta & Lady Katherine. I can only tell them apart by personality, which is all well and good unless Lady Katherine gets I'll & therefore not her normal self.

Is there anything I can do to help identify them that won't hurt them in any way?

When they went in for spaying, the vet put a thin paper collar on them with their names on so they could tell them apart. It wasn't tight so no risk of strangling them so I've wondered if it would be possible to do something like that? I've also seen a bunny (not on here) who had a red collar on - probably that red collar the chocolate Lindt bunnies have - permanently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got one (a day late :roll::lol:)

I have two identical bunnies - Jacquetta & Lady Katherine. I can only tell them apart by personality, which is all well and good unless Lady Katherine gets I'll & therefore not her normal self.

Is there anything I can do to help identify them that won't hurt them in any way?

You could clip a tuft of hair from one - on the ear would be most obvious. I think I remember a rescue using dye on a litter of identical babies. I don't know how well food colouring would stay.

One of Lopsy's is like that: sometimes it sits normally (or isn't noticeable), sometimes it sticks up weirdly. I think he might have permanently dislocated his toe, but then surely he'd be in pain and he doesn't mind me poking about at it to try and find out what's wrong. Well, he does mind, but not immediately, more because I've stopped fetching food! It's on his front left paw. Vet couldn't find anything wrong at his first healthcheck after I got him though so maybe it's just a weird toe! Might be to do with him launching himself at the run bars and trying to climb up them when he can smell beans...!
Just realised this picture shows the toe in question, just about:

10345759_10101316771113928_7581192344364767560_n.jpg

A vet might be able to tell by feel but you might need an xray to really work out what's going on. I would guess that you're right, and old injury that's healed funny. It would be something to keep an eye on as it might cause arthritis as she gets older.

Back