• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

virkon???

If e.coli is the problem I wouldn't use Jeyes either. The only time I would consider it would be for coccidia, and even then I'd go for steam cleaning options first. The fumes are so toxic there's no way I'd use it for routine cleaning of hutches even if it does say so on the bottle!

According to its literature, Virkon is effective against bacteria including e.coli. It's a safe disinfectant to use around animals and has virtually no smell, so I would definitely use something like this for a diagnosed bacterial problem.

Obviously your vet has done a culture to find the bacteria.What was the initial prob with your bun IE Ear infection or maybe an abscess?

I am using Virkon at the moment, but prefer Trigene personally ( couldn't get Trigene when I needed to get more). They are both good, but I prefer the smell of Trigene and it has a longer shelf life. :D

Obviously your vet has done a culture to find the bacteria.What was the initial prob with your bun IE Ear infection or maybe an abscess?

hya i took her the vets because she had a realy realy bad upaet tummy.he just looked at her,checked her eyes,mouth n bottom end,gave her 2 injections of antibiotics n said she had the e coli virus?said shell be fine in a couple of days with the baytril n fibreplex.starting worry now after reading kids could get it?iv moved her to other end of garden totaly away from others,wearing rubber gloves when givin her meds then washing my hands before i go near others.is there anything else i can do?x

I don't think your kids will catch it,Just make sure you burn all her bedding and all her poos regularly.Have you got a steam cleaner because that would be the safest way to clean her hutch?My rabbit Bugsy had a bad ear infection,after cultures came back he was found to be carrying E coli as well as other bacteria.I handle I'm regularly and I haven't caught it.There are all different strains of Ecoli.

is there anything else i can do?x

Yes, stop breeding rabbits

You are breeding your continentale giants now and that's going to cause more health problems for them and all your other rabbits, it's only a matter of time before you have another serious problem because you don't and won't vaccinate any of your rabbits

It is cruel to keep breeding rabbits if you have illnesses like you have described

Last edited:
Harcourt Brown says "poor husbandry, overcrowding and stress" can lead to rabbits going down with this disease... and coccidiosis often goes hand in hand with it:(

I dont understand how a vet can say a rabbit has an E coli virus without doing cultures.Bluebunny E coli is a bacteria just like Pasterella.We as well as rabbits carry a lot of bacteria that are perfectly harmless.My rabbits carry the Staphylococcus aureus bacteria which has caused a nightmare of problems.I would say hey are all healthy but this bacteria seems to cause havock,Abscesses,ear infections and amputated limbs.A different rabbit could have the staph bacteria living up its nose with no problems at all.

snowy,i dont even have continental giants?????i only have french lops. secondly,the vet said it is probably caused by her being young and her immune system still being low and the illness she has is caused by the e coli virus.they are cleaned out everyday and ar ein 5ft hutchs so i dont know where youve got hygeine n overcrowding from?alls i asked for was how i could get rid of any germs in the hutch not for anothser slanging match.i have brought a bucket of virkon so will use that.

Yes, stop breeding rabbits

You are breeding your continentale giants now and that's going to cause more health problems for them and all your other rabbits, it's only a matter of time before you have another serious problem because you don't and won't vaccinate any of your rabbits

It is cruel to keep breeding rabbits if you have illnesses like you have described

oh n yes all apart from 1 are vaccinatted.do you wish me to do a copy of their vaccination cards?

As Harcourt-Brown says Coccidiosis often goes with it..could be worth using Jeyes fluid aswell..just to be safe...but obviously rinse and dry well in between....I'm quoting her not making this up:?

Last edited:
right ok then.bitchyness aside im asking for advice n help now,so if i use jeyes fluid it will be safe then?

You cannot blame us for not believing anything you say....has nothing to do with bitchiness and everything to do with your constant lies..
.....but that aside

You must make sure all your hutches are thoroughly cleaned...and if the bun has grazed anywhere do not put another bun on that area until you KNOW what you are dealing with..I doubt your vet is sure if he just looked at her .

Youngsters are prone to this and other diorrhea type probs.. it could be the new does you've recently bought getting stressed with the move:?

Jeyes will kill Cocc..but let dry then rinse and let dry again..don't put bun near hutch until you've done this..then treat the carrier she has been in the same

You could Virkon first ..then Virkon again after the jeyes treatment..but as said before RINSE well when dried..and make sure you dilute the Jeyes correctly or buy the ready made up type

Oh and don't mate her while she's ill...

Last edited:
Back