• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Peanut Butter U/D post 104 found the problem

Well..

mrbutter is being a bit of a monkey according to my mum. two days on the trot he has pulled all the stuffing out of his bandage. He is still uncomfortable but he is doing well.

The infection appears to be going but its going to be a long course of antibiotics she said :(

i dont know how LONG this 'long' course actually IS, but will it do him any harm having it longer than a week? hes got ten days as it is!

hes being a brave boy though.

mum said when they took of his dressing she went:shock: as under the bandage hes BALD where they had to shave all the hair away before theyc ould flush out the wound!

So glad to hear that PB is doing better :) It sounds as if he's feeling ok!

i dont know how LONG this 'long' course actually IS, but will it do him any harm having it longer than a week? hes got ten days as it is!

No need to worry about that really, these days I'm used to calling 10 days a short course! The latest baytril advice for snuffles seems to be a minimum 6 week course. A previous foster bun of mine has been on oxytetracycline injections practically constantly since October. It's important that he eats lots of hay to keep his guts moving nicely, and if you're worried there's no harm in adding some probiotic to the water but it's pretty safe really - much safer to have a longer course of antibiotic than to have an infection that hasn't totally cleared up.

So glad to hear that PB is doing better :) It sounds as if he's feeling ok!

No need to worry about that really, these days I'm used to calling 10 days a short course! The latest baytril advice for snuffles seems to be a minimum 6 week course. A previous foster bun of mine has been on oxytetracycline injections practically constantly since October. It's important that he eats lots of hay to keep his guts moving nicely, and if you're worried there's no harm in adding some probiotic to the water but it's pretty safe really - much safer to have a longer course of antibiotic than to have an infection that hasn't totally cleared up.

he is getting pri biotics to his water :) i had some from when bonnie was recovering and its for all animals so thought it can only help!

found the problem!

I always KNEW something wasnt right about peanut and his hocks, his breed etc and his living conditions it just didnt make sense he would get such sore feet..

He has abnormal ligaments! When he walks his ligaments sometimes 'slip' causing his feet to be lower and make more pressure on his hocks.

his right hock (the sore one) does it 2/3 times he walks, and his other not so much, but it still does it.

The vet couldnt figure it out, and then when she was changing his dressing yesterday she felt his ligments slip, and then she started checking the leg and she realises thats what caused it.

she said theres nothing we can do, there never going to heal up properly now. but he has a donut dressing round the hock and will have it for a good 2 more weeks as its not bothering him and he seams SO much happier. he doesnt bully jelly anymore, so he must have been v grumpy cus of his feet!

Aww poor baby! At least you have found the root of the problem...what is the prognosis, is it likely to get better?

it never will, they cant change it really.
best i can do is make his home as soft as poss so that when they do slip it doesnt hurt him as much!

they cant so anything about his ligaments though.

poor little guy!

he went to have his dressing re done today and she went 'do you want pink again?' and he pulled the dressing out her hand, personally i think he was saying 'no i :censored: dont' lol but they took it as he did!

so now hes got a pink bandage again lol

Back