• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Greytail,Oliver ,Thomas Please/ UD page 6 Saturday

Been thinking about your little buns - sending more vibes for them and you xxxxx

Last edited:
Poor babies :cry:

Might it be a good idea to ask the Vet about the possibility of coccidiosis ?

Also, I am sure you are already doing this, but sub cut fluids as well as oral rehydration solution are going to be pretty essential. Hartmanns Solution is best to use.

Finally, what has literally saved the life of one of my Rabbits when she had a penicillin induced enteritis was Questran (cholestyramine), it is a POM so your Vet would probably have to do a prescription for you to take to a Pharmacy unless the Vet happens to keep it in stock. Questran can help mop up the toxins. Questran must not be given for at least one hour after any other medication and there needs to be at least 4-6 hours between the Questran dose and the giving of any other meds. This is because the Questran would interfere with the absorption and efficacy of any other meds.

I so hope that the babies will survive and that none of your other Rabbits are effected. Sending millions of vibes for them xx

Coccidiosis was my first thought too... I'd be inclined to treat for that anyway... Sending millions more vibes.

Poor babies :cry:

Might it be a good idea to ask the Vet about the possibility of coccidiosis ?

Also, I am sure you are already doing this, but sub cut fluids as well as oral rehydration solution are going to be pretty essential. Hartmanns Solution is best to use.

Finally, what has literally saved the life of one of my Rabbits when she had a penicillin induced enteritis was Questran (cholestyramine), it is a POM so your Vet would probably have to do a prescription for you to take to a Pharmacy unless the Vet happens to keep it in stock. Questran can help mop up the toxins. Questran must not be given for at least one hour after any other medication and there needs to be at least 4-6 hours between the Questran dose and the giving of any other meds. This is because the Questran would interfere with the absorption and efficacy of any other meds.

I so hope that the babies will survive and that none of your other Rabbits are effected. Sending millions of vibes for them xx

We think it may be coccidiosis we hopefully will know more today. Mike has been giving them fluids and he will get some more hopefully today from the vet.

Thank you Jane for this I do appreciate it xx

UPDATE 9:09 am ( Friday)

Well Mike has rushed Greytail, Oliver, Winter and Vinnie to the vet's now and I am just waiting. Thomas seems a lot better but then he is in a different room and so far the two girls are fine.
Winter has deteriorated during the night and isn't looking good and Mike and I have been up all night checking them all the time.

I will let you know what it is as soon as I know, but I think we all know what it is :(

At the moment I feel like I am living in a nightmare :cry:

I know that nightmare :cry: I know you've got a great vet and you know what you're doing, but I'd put all the buns on a course of Septrin and clean everything with either steam or boiling water.

I found these links very helpful:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/archive/index.php/t-261909.html

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Coccidiosis_Hedgehog.htm

I really hope they can fight this. Sending lots of vibes xx

Thank's Helen for this Mike is still at the vets so I'm waiting to hear from him :(

UPDATE 11:44am

Mike has just rang me before he sets off from the vet's for home with the buns. The vet doesn't seem to think it's coccidiosis but think's it's something that has been kicked of after they were neutered as all the boys were neutered not so long ago but the girls haven't been yet and they are fine and healthy. We have to take a poop sample down and I know this sounds awful but it does work we have to get some healthy poos from one of our buns and grind it up and feed it to the mini buns.
Mike said he has loads of meds for them and I shall tell you more when he gets home or I have time as I'm on my own at the moment and so busy.........besides very tired.

Please keep up the Vibes for all the mini bun 8 Thank You
xxxx

Mike has just rang me before he sets off from the vet's for home with the buns. The vet doesn't seem to think it's coccidiosis but think's it's something that has been kicked of after they were neutered as all the boys were neutered not so long ago but the girls haven't been yet and they are fine and healthy. We have to take a poop sample down and I know this sounds awful but it does work we have to get some healthy poos from one of our buns and grind it up and feed it to the mini buns.
Mike said he has loads of meds for them and I shall tell you more when he gets home or I have time as I'm on my own at the moment and so busy.........besides very tired.

Please keep up the Vibes for all the mini bun 8 Thank You
xxxx

There is no 'nice' way to phrase this and I am really sorry for that, but I guess it is too late for a PM to be done on Oscar ? It's just that fecal testing for coccidia often gives false negatives. Findings from a PM could provide more reliable information. With so many other Rabbits on site does your Vet not think treating for coccidiosis anyway might be advisable ?

I so hope that the remaining Babies can recover and that all your other Rabbits remain well.

Could the GA have weakened their systems enough for coccidiosis to take hold?

I had a false negative from a fecal test, so I wouldn't reply on it. :( I also had two inconclusive PMs done by the vets. The two PMs that showed the coccidiosis were done by an external lab.

Hope you get some good news soon xx

There is no 'nice' way to phrase this and I am really sorry for that, but I guess it is too late for a PM to be done on Oscar ? It's just that fecal testing for coccidia often gives false negatives. Findings from a PM could provide more reliable information. With so many other Rabbits on site does your Vet not think treating for coccidiosis anyway might be advisable ?

I so hope that the remaining Babies can recover and that all your other Rabbits remain well.

We didn't want a pm doing on Oscar as we just found it to upsetting at the moment. We have all the buns away from our buns and although our vet doesn't think it's coccidiosis we are treating them anyway in case it is. We have them on teabag bedding, we have took the pellets out of the ones that are ill, we have cleaned and disinfected floors , cages and doing everything we can for them.

We didn't want a pm doing on Oscar as we just found it to upsetting at the moment. We have all the buns away from our buns and although our vet doesn't think it's coccidiosis we are treating them anyway in case it is. We have them on teabag bedding, we have took the pellets out of the ones that are ill, we have cleaned and disinfected floors , cages and doing everything we can for them.

I really feel for you, it is a nightmare situation to have to cope with :cry: I am sure that you are both doing everything possible for the sick babies xx

I really feel for you, it is a nightmare situation to have to cope with :cry: I am sure that you are both doing everything possible for the sick babies xx

It's awful we are in bits as we have watched them since we brought them home and cared for them and loved them so much like we love all our buns, they have made us laugh and brought us so much happiness and all we can do now is check them every 10 minutes to see if they are ok or still with us :cry::cry:

Back