• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD limp U/D vet denies s/e of VHD jab!!

Well, put my name down too. After Charlie had his, we notice he was holding his paw up!! We thought that because he was a bit 'under the weather' after his jab that he had jumped down from our knee and landed wrong. We took him to the vets who checked him over but couldn't find anything broken (we thought he had broken his leg) He gave him pain killer and told us to keep him in his cage (house bunny so has the run of the house normally). Now I feel a better bunny mummy that it wasn't our fault and that it wasn't that we didn't keep our eye on him!

Please keep us updated on any news of this

Well, put my name down too. After Charlie had his, we notice he was holding his paw up!! We thought that because he was a bit 'under the weather' after his jab that he had jumped down from our knee and landed wrong. We took him to the vets who checked him over but couldn't find anything broken (we thought he had broken his leg) He gave him pain killer and told us to keep him in his cage (house bunny so has the run of the house normally). Now I feel a better bunny mummy that it wasn't our fault and that it wasn't that we didn't keep our eye on him!

Please keep us updated on any news of this

thats how i feel... altho i wont know for sure until next year when ill be on the lookout for the limp!!

It is wierd how vets don't know about this - I knew about it 2yrs ago before I even got any bunnies, just from reading the forums :?

I took Evo to the vets after he reacted badly to the VHD - he didn't have a limp, but reacted badly and wasn't eating etc. The vet recognised that it was sypmptoms of the jab, and I wasn't charged for him to be seen.

Does the Lapinject vaccine affect buns too?

Does it only occur when the jab is given in the paw? My vet puts injections into the back of the neck- is this normal?!

I have just emailed the chappie I sent all the data to a few months ago to see what the vaccine manufacturers intend to do re adding to the vaccine data information sheet that a 'post vaccination limp' is a *possible* side-effect

Janex

I have received a reply to my email

*Please note that if your Bun develops a post VHD Vaccination limp and your Vet refuses to report it YOU can do so yourself*
Contact details at the end of this email :

Dear Jane,

Thank you for your email. We are closely monitoring the situation. We have seen a few more cases. Our regulatory affairs department are currently evaluating the number of reports to decide whether we will be adding this effect to the datasheet. It would be helpful if vets could report all such cases. If they are not doing so rabbit owners should contact us to advise us when they have a case.

I will let you know what is happening in due course.

Mike Davies BVetMed CertVR CertSAO FRCVS

Technical Services Manager
Fort Dodge Animal Health
Flanders Road
Hedge End
Southampton
SO30 4QH

Tel : +44 (0) 1489 781711

Thanks very much for that Jane. I think I will drop them a line and tell them about Charlie anyway - I will mention it to my vet when I take Charlie back with his ear infection/EC to see what he says too and if he's not already aware of it he soon will be! :)

Hi,
My vet has finally given in and now admits there must be a link after I have
pointed it out in a few bunnies that I know of that have been to his vets and had a limp after VHD jab.

At Last:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Maureen

Back