• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet costs

GrunBunMum

Warren Scout
OMG, do I live in and expensive area or what ???

I have just taken out newly rescued bun to the vets for a once over, was told 10 month and now been advised probley younger but he is a boy.

He had mattered fur round his bum which the vet removed, he check his heart and his teeth, all good thankfully.

10 Mins must of been in there and charged me £21.50, now I know it cost to have pets but your having a giraffe.

Anyways he hasnt been neutered so booked him in, dear lord thats costing £56 ??? is this expensive ???? I know they changed me £100 to do my female about a year ago.

I have rang a few others but they quoting even more.

Geee how do these people sleep as night.

These 3 rabbit betta bond after all this cost cause weather my boyf likes it or not Walter is going no where after all he is costing me, even if I have to move out and live with him in a tent.

There rant over, calm down and make a nice brew now and sit down in the zoo

Donz

i'm probably not the best person to reply, being a vet student and all..

..but yeah, those costs are pretty average. Its an age-old debate on why vets charge so much, but to be fair it does cost a lot to run a practice etc., but i do understand the rant :lol:

Glad you and Walter are bonding and hope it works out well for your 3 buns, and your OH!

Rimmis first check and myxi cost £20.... VHD on another visit was another £16..... Neuter was £69 (he he... funny number considering...!!)

Animalz is expencive!!

I would say that was cheap considering :)

Rabbits are alot more expensive than people think, none of my vets visits ever come cheap... i may be like you tomorrow when we go and i see the bill! :lol: xXx

I think i must go to a cheap vets cos I've just paid £10 for Rainbow's VHD tonight and Jose spay was £52

costs me 36 quid for a myxi jab, dentals here start at 70 going up to 150, bunnies are not cheap in vet fees

£21 for a vet visit is cheap! A standard consult at my vets is £30. Thats just to be seen- meds etc are more.

To be fair my vet is very good and often doesnt charge me the consult fee. A neuter at my local vets is £80 for a male and £120 for a female. I use one 6 miles away and pay £45 for a male and £55 for a female! Such a difference in price in 6 miles!

Bungles neuter plus groom plus having his breeders ring cut off cost me £60. That was only so high because they had to use a dental drill to get the ring off and so I had to pay £15 for disposables! lol

Happen to notice that you don't include costs of his myxi c=vaccine and VHD jabs in your costs - I hope the vet gave him a myxi straight away and recommended VHD 10 days later (although may have to be adjusted depending on when he is being neutered).

These are usually between £20-£25 each (VHD more expensive than myxi but myxi TWICE a year).

PS rest of costs you gave are actually very cheap!

i would recommend insurance via PetPlan for those 'unexpected' expenses that bunnies always have!

I would say that is reasonable!!
I was quoted £30 just for a health check, but if i had the mxyi jab, they would get the health check too...for £20!!

Their castrate i was quoted £80 :shock:

I went to a different vet, further away, but very savvy...and much cheaper!!

:wave: I paid £15 for myx yesterday and includes a health check up, think the VHD £21, For Bella to be spayed £70, I believe it's more expensive for a female (bit more involved) than a male which is about £50, got £5 off each to have them micro chipped £15 each:D

Sounds very reasonable to me. My mice and hamster cost me £26 for an intial vet visit and my hamsters spay was £60.00 odd all told (can't remember the exact amount)

I do remember thinking "How much!!" at the time though, so I can understand the rant. I do think it was a good price now, considering the expert care she got and how nice they are to me :D

Thats cheap! Count yourself lucky.

Here its about £30 consult for the first 2 (of an illness) 3rd's a bit cheaper. Sometimes get away with a half if you're a regular and its a "quickie" (oh, that comes under "other payment" types!) Has been known for one of the partners to throw in a free consult!

£24.99 myxi and the same VHD

Ours does have 24 hour nurse on duty on the ward and 24 hr emergency cover which is reassuring they are also very helpful over the phone and always available for advise - easy to speak to a nurse or the pharmacy for advise.

lol my myxi bill came to £69, on top of a bad month that cost me £350 for Cherry, who is now my most expensive bunny!. Please don't complain:lol::lol:

You don't want to know Autumn's current bill total for her mxyi if you think that is expensive :shock::lol:

Ha, dont feel that bad now, we have always wondered with other pets if the vet we go to is expensive, I take it all back now.

Last edited:
It is about average, it's expensive having a bun. I am glad of my insurance because if something goes wrong, I know I am covered.

Mine is at the vet today for a lady snip :( it is costing £82, which I thought was quite good considering.

Back