• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a Blind Rabbit - U/Date - 26 Oct

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
I wonder if anyone has ever bonded a blind Rabbit successfully. Peter who is blind and 13 next month lives with his Daughter Chloe who is nearly 12. Chloe has a Son Norton who is 10 but sadly he lost his Wifebun and is now on his own. Peter and Chloe live in a playhouse and I stupidly tried to bond all 3 in this area. Chloe, naturally, attacked Norton a couple of times so I put Norton back in his hutch. I thought that with Peter being blind a different location for bonding might confuse him, hence I used their territory. Peter is Norton's grandad so they are all family and I don't really want him to be on his own this winter..

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone has ever bonded a blind Rabbit successfully.
Peter who is blind and 13 next month lives with his Daughter Chloe who is nearly 12. Chloe has a Son Norton who is 10 but sadly he lost his Wifebun and is now on his own. Peter and Chloe live in a playhouse and I stupidly tried to bond all 3 in this area. Chloe, naturally, attacked Norton a couple of times so I put Norton back in his hutch. I thought that with Peter being blind a different location for bonding might confuse him, hence I used their territory. Peter is Norton's grandad so they are all family and I don't really want him to be on his own this winter..

wonder no more:lol: I bonded blind Boo to young Eddy. Slowly - took me 3 weeks. More hands on than usual too but I'm so glad I did. Eddy is super gentle if excitable, so that helped

It'd be really nice to get them together for Winter. How did peter react when they were all together?

wonder no more:lol: I bonded blind Boo to young Eddy. Slowly - took me 3 weeks. More hands on than usual too but I'm so glad I did. Eddy is super gentle if excitable, so that helped

It'd be really nice to get them together for Winter. How did peter react when they were all together?

Peter was indifferent, like nothing to do with me! Do you think a 6' hutch would be ok to bond them in?

Peter was indifferent, like nothing to do with me! Do you think a 6' hutch would be ok to bond them in?

I can't give bonding advice to you Tonibun - you've bonded way more rabbits than me. But I do think you could try the hutch. I'm a bit of a hands on, stroke my bunnies, interfering bonder:lol:I might be tempted to do some scent swapping of stuff in preparation though.

I think it's the worry of 2 boys together, I have never done that. I will try them in this hutch in a day or so. Thanks J&B :love:

So I made the hutch up with lots of hay, 1 litter tray and put them all in together. Chloe really went for Norton, Peter stayed in the litter tray. It was pretty upsetting tbh considering their ages. I put some pellets in, scattered them and put some in the litter tray for Peter. Chloe attacked Norton again but they searched out the pellets. The rest of the day was spent with Peter and Chloe up one end of the hutch and Norton down the other. Later on I gave them some Spring Greens which they ate, with Peter still hiding in the litter try. It has been quiet for quite a few hours now, I have topped up the hay and put a pet carrier in there full of hay in case someone wants to retreat into it overnight. I can't separate them as I can't tell which one is Chloe and which one is Norton. Peter has white feet so he is easy to see. I do hope this will work as I feel awful putting them through it.

Aw, I hope today will go better for them, and that Peter will feel a bit more confident and will leave the litter tray. It must be stressful for him to be in a new environment with him being blind. I'd be worried about someone getting cornered in the pet carrier, especially as Chloe has been going for Norton. Maybe something with two exits would be better, if you have that? Sending them lots of bonding vibes!

I gave up on the bonding yesterday as Chloe and Norton did not want to be friends and with their ages I felt it wasn't fair to keep them together any longer. So Peter and Chloe are back in their playhouse and Norton is on his own. It's a shame but we tried.

If a suitable female was available then yes but there is a shortage of Rabbits here. Folk are being advised to go to the mainland if they want a Rabbit! Not long ago (maybe 12 years) there was a plethora of unwanted Bunnies :cry: I had 90 at one point as no-one else wanted them. Had them neutered and paired off. I had smaller hutches then so could fit more in the garden. It is so sad! The problem is there is no Rabbit rescue here.

Ah, I see. I suppose it's good that there aren't so many unwanted bunnies anymore like there were 12 years ago. It's sad that there's no girl available for Norton anywhere, though, since you don't have a rescue there. 90 is a lot of bunnies! I feel overwhelmed just taking care of my two sometimes, so I can't imagine taking care of 90 of them!

Back