• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very sick bunny

Roarysbunmum

Young Bun
Came home from work yesterday to find a poorly bunny. very noisy tummy, sat in the one spot and alternated between lying flat and sitting hunched. Had pooped throughout the day but no food or water from what I can tell. Also had 2 wees in the house rather than his litter box which he never does.

He’s had infacol last night (one dose each hour for 3 hours), metacam, lots of tummy massages, hot water bottle and this morning is no better. More metacam and tummy rubs this morning and I’ve syringe fed some baby food into him. Going to call the vet when they open but I’m very worried, I’ve never seen him this bad before. He had a dental a month ago so can’t be his teeth, seems more like gas. Tummy soft which is good but he’s totally off form.

Please send lots of positive vibes and any advice if there’s something else I can try.

Came home from work yesterday to find a poorly bunny. very noisy tummy, sat in the one spot and alternated between lying flat and sitting hunched. Had pooped throughout the day but no food or water from what I can tell. Also had 2 wees in the house rather than his litter box which he never does.

He’s had infacol last night (one dose each hour for 3 hours), metacam, lots of tummy massages, hot water bottle and this morning is no better. More metacam and tummy rubs this morning and I’ve syringe fed some baby food into him. Going to call the vet when they open but I’m very worried, I’ve never seen him this bad before. He had a dental a month ago so can’t be his teeth, seems more like gas. Tummy soft which is good but he’s totally off form.

Please send lots of positive vibes and any advice if there’s something else I can try.

I am sorry your Bunny is unwell. I would not administer anything more orally, except plain water, until he has been examined by a Vet. To me it sounds as though a urinary tract infection and/or 'bladder sludge' may be a possibility. Sending lots of get well soon vibes for him and please keep us updated if you can x

Sorry to hear your bunny isn't too well, and hope vets visit goes well. Please let us know how he gets on, sending lots of get well vibes for him x

Thanks JacksJane, hadnt considered a urinary issue but would make sense. He’s being seen at 10:30 so hopefully will get to the bottom of it

So vet has seen him and he’s been prescribed baytril for a possible urinary infection. Have to keep on with the metacam and feed critical care. He’s lost weight and tummy felt soft and empty. She also found a lump, can’t tell what it is without further tests but there’s a chance it’s the big C. I’m gutted

Sorry to read your bunny is unwell. Sending millions of vibes from here and hope the baytril works.
Please update us when you can. Xx

So vet has seen him and he’s been prescribed baytril for a possible urinary infection. Have to keep on with the metacam and feed critical care. He’s lost weight and tummy felt soft and empty. She also found a lump, can’t tell what it is without further tests but there’s a chance it’s the big C. I’m gutted

Where was the 'lump' ? If in the bladder it may be a bladder stone. Try not to think of worst case scenarios, although I know that it's hard not to do so x

The lump was in his groin region. I had to nip to work for a couple of hours, just got home and he’s much much worse, collapsed and feels cold. My bunny savvy vet is on furlough until July and can’t be contacted. Waiting on my general vet to call me back

The lump was in his groin region. I had to nip to work for a couple of hours, just got home and he’s much much worse, collapsed and feels cold. My bunny savvy vet is on furlough until July and can’t be contacted. Waiting on my general vet to call me back

I am really sorry to hear this :cry: Can you place him near a heat pad or cover him with a warm towel/blanket whist awaiting the Vet to call you back. The Vet you saw earlier did not give him an injection of Buprenorphine (Vetergesic/Buprecare) did he/she? This drug is an opiate and can cause marked sedation and a significant drop in BP making it hard for Bunny to regulate their body temperature.

Already at the vets, he started fitting in the car and I think I’m losing him. Vet didn’t give him anything, sent me home with what I needed to administer orally. Now sat in the car while they examine him as I’m not allowed inside the practice.

I'm so sorry your having to go though this I felt horrible just having to wait in the car while my bunny had her vaccinations, never mind having such a poorly bun xx

Already at the vets, he started fitting in the car and I think I’m losing him. Vet didn’t give him anything, sent me home with what I needed to administer orally. Now sat in the car while they examine him as I’m not allowed inside the practice.

:cry: sending you hugs x

Back