• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

very naughty bunny!

beki

Mama Doe
a new thread following on from my last one about Ruby chewing through wires. Ruby has now become the bunny from hell! (almost!)

She keeps biting my boyfriend, she is biting my legs when i sit next to her, biting anything she can get hold of when she is let out to play- she has eaten almost a whole shower curtain! she won't let me pick her up any more (she used to love a cuddle) and she has started to growl! She is being extra nice to reggie bun though so that is one good thing (apart from sitting on top of him this morning - he is half her size, poor baby he got squished!). She has been speyed, last september and was a very soppy bunny after that. Now she is just naughty! i try to amuse her with toys and stuff but she isn't really bothered.

I am hoping it is just a phase because i am starting to wish to warm weather would hurry up so that i can get her outside where she can't damage anything any more!!! play is supervised only for the time being.

Is there any thing that has changed recently? i.e in her environment?
Could she be trying to tell you that she is unwell?

How old is Ruby? My friends female housebun went through a stage of biting and growling but grew out of it, it was like an adolescence type thing. Otherwise, what with her dislike of being handled and growling, could she be in pain do you think? Might be worth a quick checkover at the vets.

Hi, if she was only spayed in September this will be her first Spring as an adult female and despite the spay she will still have other hormones circulating being triggered by the changing light levels of spring which can be pretty confusing and frustrating to a spayed bun who is instinctively reacting to nature. I expect it is a combination of this, boredom perhaps if she is getting limited play due to it being supervised only (understandable) and perhaps some learned behaviour too if she is getting attention from you when she is being destructive which could be reinforcing it. Is there any way you can maximise on bunny proofing so she and her bonded partner can have more time out to play without the need for supervision? You can get puppy pens made of several panels which can fit any shape/space to give more space to play, and then perhaps fill it with things to do and safe to chew.. boxes, tunnels, natural toys, fresh safe twigs/branches to gnaw on. Does she get much hay in her diet? Eating lots of hay takes up a great portion of the day and uses up a lot of excess energy. I would also suggest taking her (or them both) out for a supervised run in the garden daily now it is warmer to really let her burn off some energy. My two have been going out for a run every evening throughout the winter unless it is raining/snowing and it is a real opportunity for them to go mad and burn off that pent up energy. :D
I would suggest keeping to a routine throughout the day will help as well as strange as it sounds... it can really benefit destructive behaviour. Good luck :)

thanks for the advice prettylupin. I have got one of those puppy pen kind of things but the ones meant for bunnies and small critters so have used that to block off half of the room and the doorway....not the cats can get in the room but the bunnies can't get out! its great!!! and they can still play on the bed and under it which they seem to love.

She has many twigs from my pear tree but they only distract her for about 2 minutes she is so destructive they are gone and poor reggie doesn't even get a look in! they both get a lot of hay. She was never really a hay eater til i bonded her with Reggie, he eats loads and so she has copied him. She has got all of his good behavior and he has picked up naughty things from her!

I will have to get the outdoor run set up again, i took it down for the winter, and have a go at letting them play outside. I was a bit worried for reggie as he hasn't got a lot of hair, he is very short haired, so i was worried about him getting cold which is why i hadn't bothered putting them out before now. Ruby has really thick fur.

Oddly enough she has recently been on her best behavior (apart from i still haven't managed to cut her claws they are getting really long, she won't keep still and my boyfriend is no good at helping...i will have to call my mum over i think!) i think she knows i am moaning about her!

Back