• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny returning home after vet stay

Amity & Nic

Young Bun
So I'm a little worried, as it took a fair while to bond my two buns. Bubo (male) has been in the vets for two days and nights. I'm worried my female bun (Amity) may put up resistance when he comes back. Before I adopted her, she 'fell out' with/unbonded with her friend and refused to have anything to do with any other rabbits in general.

Is there anything I can do to make it easier on both of them? They're house rabbits with their own enclosure to come and go in.
Thank you x

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

So I'm a little worried, as it took a fair while to bond my two buns. Bubo (male) has been in the vets for two days and nights. I'm worried my female bun (Amity) may put up resistance when he comes back. Before I adopted her, she 'fell out' with/unbonded with her friend and refused to have anything to do with any other rabbits in general.

Is there anything I can do to make it easier on both of them? They're house rabbits with their own enclosure to come and go in.
Thank you x

I would take Amity in the carrier with you, when you pick up Bubo. so that they travel home together. I would also ask the vet to give you some of Bubo's poo, which I would put in their litter tray at home. When they first arrive home I would put a pile of forage/veg on the floor to encourage them to eat together. I would also groom Amity with a brush and then immediately groom Bubo, so that he starts to smell more like normal and less like the vets. It's the smell of the vets that is usually the problem.

Hopefully, all will go well and there will be no issues :)

If there's any sign of aggression, I would keep them separate for a while. It's not fair on a poorly bunny to be put under more stress, and sometimes they will be picked on. Hopefully all will go well and she will be there to support him.

Keeping them separate for a couple of days will also give you the chance to monitor the input (food) and output (poo) of the poorly bun.

I was a bit concerned because when bubo first showed signs of being unwell, she wouldn't go near him..like actively avoided him. The little madam is as happy as Larry at the moment on her own (I haven't seen her bink up and down the lounge for ages). There's me thinking it was best for her to have a friend. That's a whole other issue!!

I was thinking of taking her in the carrier.. Even though it'll be an hour round trip. I always worry because of the general lunatics on the road and putting her in unnecessary danger. I don't worry about anything.. But then it comes to my pets and it's a nightmare!

Thanks for the advice. I'll watch them closely. I really thought I was going to lose him, so I won't leave his side now [emoji23].

So it's an actual nightmare. I took amity with me to get Boo and they were fine. Got home and as they were grooming each other, I thought I'll put them in together. They were OK for about 40 minutes. It seemed like there was a stand off with both wanting to be groomed. Neither gave in and then the fights began. Amity seems terrified and bubo just wants to chase her. I thought seeing as bubo was the poorly one, I left him in the enclosure and amity stayed in the hall. I obviously gave her everything she needs but I think she was in the same spot all night, now I'm so worried about her. I've swapped them and Bubo is loose and amity shut in. Bubo trying in vain to get back in (after I let Amity settle without him in the room). She had a big drink and some breakfast but seems shattered.

At the worst of times they were ok in the garden together, so I was hoping to put them out today. I'm at work tomorrow and Tuesday so I can't do a lot then :(. My poor girl looks so sad.

Has anyone used the pet remedy spray?

Nic x

Just keep them separate for a few days. They both smell different and one has been very poorly. They need to settle back in. When they are both fully back to normal, try rebonding in a neutral area. There's no advantage to rushing it and sressing them both out. You need to check them both over in case there are any injuries that need treating (eg bites).

Thank you shimmer. I've checked both of them and they're ok. I don't want to rush them.. I guess I'm aware I'll be alone in the week without the help of my partner there. Both buns want to be in the enclosure and I hate to see them unhappy. I will leave them for a few days and hope Bubo settles in the lounge.

Xx

I too think it’s best to keep them separate if you are not going to be around to supervise them all of the time. It could mean that you will need to rebond them from scratch when you do eventually try to reintroduce them

Is Amity producing normal poo? I would keep an eye on that too as she’s had a stressful night.

Whoever said that Rabbits are easy Pets to care for lied !

I think amity has normal poo. She's eating in and off but her tummy making very loud sounds (I thought it was bubo until he moved away). I'm not sure if she ate last night. Bubo is pooing in the litter tray I've left out and also everywhere.. Which is fine by me.

I was thinking of getting them bonded away from home. There's nowhere that's neutral in the house. Apart from the bath. Have you heard of Fat fluffs (rescue/boarding/bonding)? I think they're the closest to me.

I swear there's some people who dump a rabbit in a hutch, feed it pure muesli and the poor things just sit there and live to 12 years old and have no health problems at all. Rabbits!!

I swear there's some people who dump a rabbit in a hutch, feed it pure muesli and the poor things just sit there and live to 12 years old and have no health problems at all. Rabbits!!

I completely understand your frustration with this. It is sadly the same with humans. One can try to do everything right in one's life, by eating heathily, exercising regularly, maintaining a healthy BMI and not abusing one's body in any way. But that will not prevent such people developing serious diseases. Genes will always play an important part.

I like to think though, that as with humans, who find themselves in that position, your Bubo has been able to recover better from whatever his recent issue was, because he was well cared for.

I agree with others, that as they are obviously unsettled in each other's company, I would separate them for a while, especially if you are unable to be with them all the time.

Fat Fluffs is one of the best Rabbit Rescues. If you seek advice about bonding from them you won’t go far wrong. Remember though, even if Rabbits are successfully bonded away from home things can still fall apart when they get home. You would need to keep them in a relatively small space at first.

Personally I would attempt to rebond them yourself first. Maybe do some preparation now by making a room a no go area for both of them. Then blitz clean it. A dilute white vinegar solution can neutralise scent, but obviously this can only be used on hard surfaces that won’t be ruined by vinegar. A steam cleaner can be used on furniture and carpets and lots of fresh air in the room will also help.

Thanks so much for the advice. I will start to clear our little spare room.
It's so hard to be positive.. I can see it all going wrong. I feel at my wits end after worrying about him so much and now this. [emoji20]

He needs time to settle back home and make sure he's absolutely fit - then think about rebonding. I've always had to allow at least a week for any bun that's been in stasis before they were safely out of it, and none of them were inpatients at the vet.

Back