• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccination question

Has anyone had the following

• vaccinated rabbit with kidney infection/failure

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • vaccinated rabbit with liver infection/failure

• vaccinated rabbit with unexplained weight loss

• vaccinated rabbit with bloat (not put down to anything fed)

• vaccinated rabbit with nodular myxi

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • vaccinated rabbit with full blown myxi

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • un-vaccinated rabbit with kidney infection/failure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • un-vaccinated rabbit with liver infection/failure

• un-vaccinated rabbit with unexplained weight loss

• un-vaccinated rabbit with bloat (not put down to anything fed)

• un-vaccinated rabbit with nodular myxi

• un-vaccinated rabbit with full blown myxi

• Total voters
Luckily I've not had any of these. :D All my buns are vaccinated.

Ted has had stasis twice and gets windy but I think it's certain veg that does it. He doesn't get ANY cabbage anymore!! Or sprouts!!

I I get really fed up of surveys that say things like (I have read this recently in New Scientist, no less) 'women are better at finding their way round supermarkets, which shows that women are naturally the food-gatherers' (I would haver thought that it shows that women do more supermarket shopping....)

:lol: :lol: :lol: this is true, except at my local asda where they take pleasure in moving all the items around so I can't ever find anything. :evil: :lol:

I think that pretty well every rabbit on this forum who has a kidney problem will have been vaccinated, just as every rabbit on this forum with kidney problems will have been fed hay, but this doesn't show a connection between the kidney problem and the vaccination/hay.

That's what I thought when I saw this poll - the results are bound to be skewed towards a 'link between illness and vaccination' simply because majority here vaccinate and get illness diagnosed properly.

I don't know what Tia died of - maybe her liver but I couldn't get her to Leeds for a PM (don't ask why my vet can't do one :roll: ) - she had been starved before being dumped on a rescue, and that would damage her liver. So many rabbits on this forum are from bad backgrounds been through rescue, and therefore may have underlying health problems irrespective of whether or not they are vaccinated.

I think the only possibly meaningful results of this poll would be the worringly large number of vaccinated rabbits who seem be be developing myxi. Which I guess we can put down to natural mutation of the virus, although it would be worth feeding this info back to the manufacturers. I think it is also worth noting that the relatively low number of unvaccinated rabbits developing myxi as noted in the poll so far is probably more likely to be due to the fact that most of the people on here vaccinate their buns therefore, there are less unvaccinated bunnies to get sick.

Also, from a purely scientific point of view I'd be interested to know whether the development of nodular myxi is as a result of vaccinated/wild rabbits being more resistent and thus expressing a less virulent form of the disease or whether, as in some other infectious diseases, this newer form of myxi has evolved as a way of allowing the virus to circulate in it's host population without completely burning it out.

Back