• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Utter despair & devastated beyond belief. Update - Closure post48

I'm so sorry you had this horrible shock JessBun. I don't have much practical advice but I really hope you find out what happened.

That's horrific Jessbun, I'm so sorry :(

Re the neighbours, I would probably have just explained briefly what happened and asked if they had found anything in their garden that the predator might have left if they went through neighbouring gardens when leaving the scene so to speak (without directly asking if it was their dog as such).

Oh Jess I'm so sorry this has happened :( I can't even begin to imagine how traumatised you must be feeling. I hope you're able to get answers to how this has happened. From your posts on here you've always struck me as very rabbit savvy and level headed and I have no doubt you did your utmost to make their accommodation as secure as you possibly could. I know it's an instinctive reaction to blame ourselves when we lose our pets, particularly in such awful circumstances. This may have been the result of a chain of events that you had no way of predicting and no way of preventing.

I feel absolutely devastated for you and I hope you're bearing up as well as you can. xx

I am so, so sorry for your loss. Don't blame yourself. This may have just been a catastrophic chain of events leading up to Micky's untimely death. :(

I also have no doubt you know exactly what you're doing when it comes to rabbits. You always give excellent advice and come across as so level-headed.

Also, I really hope you can get some closure after this tragic occurrence.

Binky free, Micky. It's so sad that you had to leave in this way. :(

I'm so sorry to read this, it's absolutely devastating... All I can suggest is that you maybe approach neighbours saying you think a fox got him, and that you think it might have dropped the body nearby, so could you check.

So sorry to hear this :( RIP little bun.

So sorry for your loss.
Please don't beat yourself up. I regularly maintain my aviary but sometimes I've had escapee buns, or once a bird in there. I also had a bunny that was regularly visiting a neighbour & coming back. The fact they were fine in the outside world was pure luck. it happens & you can only do the best you can xx

Heart breaking :'(

I know you think it's a dog and not a fox but my vets was warning rabbit owners about foxes tearing up wire mesh to get to rabbits :(
As they was treating one that survived a fox but was in a bad way

Oh JessBun, how very terrible for you. I am so, so very sorry. :cry::cry::cry:
I have nothing else to offer that others haven't already except for my sincere condolences and comforting virtual hugs. There are no words I know that will help your situation, but don't blame yourself, please. Even if Micky was protected better than Fort Knox does it's gold, a determined animal of any type might have been able to do something like this. :cry:
I hope your OH will be able to help you out when he comes home.
By all means do whatever you feel you must so that you may be able to find Micky's remains to lay to rest, but if not, remember that the body is not who he was...he knew you loved him and his spirit is your angel now, and can be with you wherever you are. ((((Huge hugs)))))
I wish there were more I could do. I am so sorry. :cry:
Binky free, Micky xxxxx

This is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry. All we can ever do is our best but, despite that, things do sometimes happen. You did all you could. :cry:

I am so so sorry JessBun :( I feel absolutely devastated for you. It is extremely upsetting to lose a bunny like this (I lost my boy Stripe after finding him collapsed on the grass from a fox attack many years ago) Binky free Micky xxxx

I'm so sorry this is so terrible. Lots of hugs for you and RIP little Micky. I think some animals just have that hunter instinct and nothing will stop them.

So very, very sorry - I have only just seen this. I don't know what to say that will help, so am sending a big hug. Binky-free at The Bridge Micky, your mummy is utterly heartbroken. xxxx

Oh no. :( Don't beat yourself up. If it was a big dog there may have been little you could have done. Don't rehome your remaining animals because of this. This gives you the opportunity to put in some security measures. Double mesh is useful, however, as I said a very big determined dog can get into anything if they set their mind to it. :(
I am so sorry you had to experience this. Nobody will beat you up over it. It happens and it's awful, I know.

I'm surprised that a dog would take the body. I do hope ypur neighbours haven't hidden his body or something. If not then I'd say this sounds like a fox. I won't go into detail on why I think that. Posting notes through your neighbours' doors seems the best way forward right now. Feel free to PM me a pic of the poo. I am quite good with being able to id fox poo and dog poo. (Not something I boast about!)

Back