• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urine incontinance and fear of urine scald

Full house

New Kit
My elderly bunny Robin has somehow managed to pull through a variety of serious health issues and is determined to spend more time on this earth. 🥂🎊 He's the most astonishing rabbit I have ever known.

He has arthritis in his spine and his rear right hip joint is crunchy, which have knocked him off that leg. Consequently, he ends up lying in his wee and poo. I don't know for certain if he has incontinance - as in a vet hasn't diagnosed it, but he will wee when I pick him up and didn't used to, so believe he may be.

I've been washing this area with water containing hibiscrub and he finds the experience very upsetting. He won't tolerate a hairdryer, but the bunnies room (he has his friend, Alice)is the sunniest, so once I've dried him carefully as much as I can, I've put him on a towel, on vet bed and he's dried reasonably quickly.

Robin's determination means he drags himself around reasonably successfully, requiring an intervention only when he gets himself stuck next to a wall, which happens quite often, night and day. I have been sleeping on a mattress on the floor in the bunnies's room for around 3 weeks now and am a now a zombie with under eye bags to my knees and as Alice thinks beds are loos, I probably don't smell great either. I'm in there virtually 24/7 and whilst I'm not one to enthuse about myself, let no-one say I'm not devoted!

I have reduced the area, but Alice is a ****** for digging up vet bed and occasionally I will discover Robin on the floor. I don't know if vet bed makes him a bit hot in warmer weather?

I washed him just now and he's really losing his fur in the area he lies on. Whilst this is good in that he won't be lying with wet fur, I know how fragile skin is and am obviously concerned about urine scald, but also if dragging himself around will hurt it too. I applied sudacreme to all the bald bits. He can't access that part to wash and Alice has become very unattentive since he's been poorly.

My questions are:

Should I try expressing his bladder to try to reduce the amount of wee he lies in? It sounds rather risky if done wrong. I will be careful if it is something I need to do. If I should do it, how frequently should I?

Is there anything else I can do to protect this skin?

Should I reduce his area so he doesn't move much? I think he'd be sad if he was stuck in once place, as he is a very determined chap, but needs must.

Is there anything else I need to know?

Thank you in advance. x

I'm sorry, it sounds as though the area could be quite sore. I really think that I would have him examined by a vet and ask how to manage the problem. I don't know what strength of Hibiscrub you are using, but I find it very harsh and it could be that it is painful when you are washing him, which is why it makes him upset.

He sounds a lovely chap and I hope that you can find a way to make him more comfortable.

I'm really sorry to hear this, poor Robin. I agree with Omis post above about checking with the vet, as to the best way forward. Have to say you have my utmost admiration for your dedication in looking after him. Really hope you can find a good routine that helps you and bunnies xxx

I'm sorry, it sounds as though the area could be quite sore. I really think that I would have him examined by a vet and ask how to manage the problem. I don't know what strength of Hibiscrub you are using, but I find it very harsh and it could be that it is painful when you are washing him, which is why it makes him upset.

He sounds a lovely chap and I hope that you can find a way to make him more comfortable.

Thank you for replying. I was told by a (well known) referral vet years ago to use diluted hibiscrub to clean bums and a vet I had for years agreed. I think Robin gets upset because of him being held in a strange way and because he's getting wet. He's never liked being held per se. He didn't flinch when I gently rubbed the sudacreme on and the skin is the same colour as a large patch which was shaved around 3 weeks ago for an ultrasound and which doesn't get wet.

I honestly thought I was doing the right thing. I've washed countless bunny bums in this way over the years and am horrified if I've caused them all to suffer. I have sensitive skin and it's obviously going on my hands and it hasn't hurt, but I'll definitely take your comment on board. As I'm not a vet I tend to do as vets suggest, assuming it makes sense. I've now viewed previous posts and some have suggested salt water which definitely sounds potentially painful, so I'll just use water. I feel absolutely terrible now. The problem is, as always, who do we believe and who is right? I always do my own research too, but I'll just use water. The urine is the issue as opposed to poo, so I just need to ensure the urine is washed off. Thank you again.

My vet has just replied to my email including photos and suggested...drum roll please....hibiscrub. ��

Said it's lovely healthy coloured skin, no sign of abrasions or a breakdown in the skin.

Also confirmed sudecreme is best.

"Just do what you always do, you know what you're doing, I'm happy with that".

I've replied mentioning the potential issue with hibiscrub and I'll see what she says. I've told her I'll just use water from now on. I can do no more.

As I mentioned in my previous post, who do we believe? This is a vet I've used for around a year, so at least 3 vets have now told me to use hibiscrub. I don't know if I should jump off the nearest high building now. ��

No, you are doing a great job ! Good that your vet has seen photos and said skin looks fine. I often had to wash my bridge buns bottom, and just used to cotton wool balls dipped in warm water, seemed to do the job ok. Robin is a lucky bunny having you looking out for him x

I always use dilute hibiscrub or a very gentle baby shampoo, depending on need. If he doesn't need a full bum bath, would a damp cloth / wipe down be enough? Keeping the skin clean and dry will also be easier without fur. Sudacrem or other suitable barrier creams (can't remember which others I've used) will help to protect the skin from urine scald. So I think you are doing the right things for his maintenance.

For incontinent or immobile rabbits, I've tended to use old bath towels on top of puppy pads. I found 2 layers of towel worked best, and turn them round if one area is used predominantly, them wash them. Change the puppy pads as needed - they do help to protect the floor as well. Some rabbits will dig up or destroy puppy pads, so the towel tends to stop them, while still wicking away urine. Rolled up towels can be used to make a safety barrier to keep less mobile rabbits in a safe area.

Vet advice would be useful - check his bladder function, possible urinary tract infection, any meds for pain / arthrits, etc that can be adjusted to keep him comfortable. Trying to identify a cause of the incontinence (or rule out causes) may also help your care for him. eg kidney function, infection, EC, etc.

Expressing a bladder is something you need to know how to do properly so you don't cause any damage or distress - so ask your vet about it - although your bunny doesn't seem to need it. Some rabbits also tend to just wee when you pick them up.

My vet has just replied to my email including photos and suggested...drum roll please....hibiscrub. ��

Said it's lovely healthy coloured skin, no sign of abrasions or a breakdown in the skin.

Also confirmed sudecreme is best.

"Just do what you always do, you know what you're doing, I'm happy with that".

I've replied mentioning the potential issue with hibiscrub and I'll see what she says. I've told her I'll just use water from now on. I can do no more.

As I mentioned in my previous post, who do we believe? This is a vet I've used for around a year, so at least 3 vets have now told me to use hibiscrub. I don't know if I should jump off the nearest high building now. ��

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you :( I agree we need to follow the advice of our vets, if we consider them rabbit savvy. Perhaps, I have sensitive skin, but as I said I did find it quite harsh and I was wondering how Robin's skin was.

Hibiscrub is very useful stuff. I have used it for surgically open (abscess) wounds that needed flushing, and for anything generally animal related that needed disinfecting. It's the first thing I reach for when the dogs have a scrape, or there is a cat scratch. We also used it as a standard handwash in the bacti lab and my hands were fine with it (I have contact dermatitis with lots of other chemicals).

As your vet said, keep doing what you are doing - it is working.

Back