• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT HELP! ZOE VERY ILL - UPDATED

tmak

Warren Scout
Zoe's not eating, didn't want to come out of her run or come to me at all, she hasn't used her litter tray much since I emptied it yesterday, I've managed to get her to drink some water but I can't in the vet til 5.10 tomorrow and I think that it might be too late for her by then.

She's very sluggish, just wants to sit there and sleep, but yet she still ran away quick from me so she's not that weak yet, I've brought her in the house now, she's in a pet carrier and I don't know what to do

Why can't you get to the vet? You should be able to find a vet that has 24 hour service and usually a taxi will allow a rabbit in a carier, some vets also have contacts with specilised animal ambulances.

What time did you empty her tray yesterday?

she won't eat anything, she ate a very small corner of a piece of rocket a couple of hours ago and that's it, she's drank quite a bit for her but not that much really, i'm so worried

we phoned the 2 vets, they shut at 6 and can't fit us in until tomorrow, she said she may phone back with advice but didn't, I empty her litter tray when I get home from work between 4 and 5.

Oh dear I'm so sorry Zoe is ill :cry: Why aren't you able to get to the vets - is it that you can't get there or they don't have any appointments?

I think Zoe NEEDS to see the vet so if you can't get an appointment I think you're going to have to just turn up and insist that she is seen, or try and find a way to get her to a vet if that is the problem. Have you got any infacol? In the meantime, you can give her 2ml infacol in case she has trapped wind as this will help to disperse it - but I must stress this is in no way a substitute for getting her to a vet. It sounds as if she will need metaclopromide (a gut stimulant) and some painkiller.

Please let us know how you get on. You've done such a great job rescuing her and helping her to trust humans and love life, I hope she feels better very soon.

Xxxx

Edit: Aaah just seen that the vets is now closed. It sounds to me as if she needs to see a vet so I'm afraid I think you're just going to have to bite the bullet and ring the emergency vet. It will obviously be more costly but I'm sure you're aware that buns that aren't eating/pooping go downhill very quickly :cry: xxx

Getting her there isn't a problem but I don't live in town and there arent that many vets nearby, and they couldn't fit us in until tomorrow 5.10, and didn't give us any advice and I don't have any medication to give her

I'm so sorry to hear Zoe is poorly. It does sound like she needs to be seen today though. This or this might be some help in locating a vet, or if you ring your vet now there should be an answerphone message where you can get after hours care.
I really wouldn't leave it until tomorrow.

got an emergency vet, she's going to call me back in 5 mins to give me a time to take her in, I can't stop crying

Can you ring another vet? It's not like the doctors where you have to register first etc. Phone round a few vets and see what they say. To be honest, I'd be tempted to find another one anyway, as they don't sound brilliant :? A vet should know how quickly a rabbit can go downhill, and try to accommodate them.
Let us know how you get on. I had this problem with Salt on Sunday night http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=28449
Thinking of you both.

Fingers crossed for you hun, it sounds as if she's going into stasis - but if she has drunk some water and is still hopping around, all is not lost. As I said before, the vet will probably give her some metaclopromide (by injection - there's no point giving it orally if her guts aren't working) and a painkiller. Not all vets will routinely give a painkiller so don't be afraid to ask questions and ask for painkiller as well if none is offered. Stasis does take some time to clear but hopefully if you can get her to a vet soon, the medication should start kicking in fairly quickly - although it can still be several hours before you see a good improvement.

Fingers crossed - please do keep us posted. xxx

Hope she's ok! Give her LOTS of tummy rubs and if you're near a Tesco I suggest you buy some Infacol to syringe feed her.
If this is stasis it'll be a long night... keep her indoors and syringe her Infacol and water every hour, whilst tempting her with food. And give lots of tummy rubs... very important to help get the gut moving.
Keep us updated!

Vets are bleeping useless sometimes! My vets does out of hours appointments but they're £80 just to be seen!
I hope she gets better soon!

Thanks everyone, just got back, turned out it was the same vet I'd made an appointment with earlier but I rang the emergency number which was in a separate advert.

She's kept Zoe in so she can treat her through the night, she was very nice and helpful, she said she's looking quite good, not critical, she checked her over, no blockage in the throat or anything but she said her eyes looked a bit dull and she's going to treat her and give her some painkillers and call us back tomorrow but it's looking good...

Sorry for swearing but the little **** started eating about 5 mins after we got there so I think all the shiggling about in the car on the way there may have helped a little, that made me feel a bit better but I could tell by the way the vet could handle her so easily that she wasn't herself but I think we caught it in time.

Well done for sticking with it and tracking a vet down :) Hopefully the painkillers and treatment will help. Do let us know how she's doing tomorow :)

:lol: at her eating again!

So glad she's at the vets. Thinking of you both, hope she's back with you tomorrow.

Hope she is ok...

I remember once having to do an emergency call out for the vet, as Apache had colic, and was lying on his side groaning, it took nearly an hour for the vet to arrive, and as he got out of his car Apache jumped up and went to his haynet!

The vet still treated him for colic anyway...

Jx

thanks everyone, she'll be much better off overnight with the vet so I feel much better now, except I have a massive headache because I couldn't stop hyperventilating, I'm not really one for this type of stress but at least I'll get a good night's sleep tonight knowing she's being looked after, I can't believe the difference a few hours can make.

Back