• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

updated lump in Daisy's face :-(

clairekaitlin

Warren Scout
well I took Daisy and its an abscess that's attached to the bone :cry:

I have 3 options.....

a-Leave it and hope it wont grow any bigger or affect her teeth.However it will cause pain:(

b-Pay £105 for the vet to slice it open, drain pus and flush then she will need antibiotics and I will have to keep her separated and clean the wound myself, however because she is so tiny the survival rate is a mere 20%:cry:

c-The last option is just to peacefully let her go to sleep in my arms:cry::cry::cry::cry:

I am torn :cry: I can't stop the tears, its no use people saying "shes just a rabbit" she is part of our family and I don't want her to suffer but then I don't want to give up on her?!?!?

Please advise me people, I need all the help I can get as this is breaking my heart:cry::cry:

claire xx

Oh Claire I am so sorry you have had such awful news. :cry:
No one on here would say 'shes just a rabbit' esspecially not me so do not worry about that! I know how much love you feel for your little one, I love Jimby with all my heart and consider him my little boy!! :love:
I am not sure what the best thing to do would be but I think I would be inclined to say go for flushing it out or long term pain meds.
I would not give up just yet but that is just me.

I had this problem with my rabbit Tipsy, but at least her abcsess was in her leg and on her tummy..... you have the problem that its on her face which means it will be harder to clean and always reduces the survival rate etc. I had another rabbit who developed an abscess on his jaw and he was PTS because it was already in the bone and inoperable.

Im afraid I probably havent helped, Tipsys abcsesses took a whole 6 months to clean up, and that was with ALOT of cleaning, living inside away from her hutch mates and my mums and the vets dedicated care. She had 3 operations, squillions of iodine and lots of 'icillins (antibiotics) but we did manage to beat it and she managed 6 months illness free before passing to the bridge. :(

Good luck in whatever you choose.

I had a rabbit that had an absess that had gone to bone he had to have his front teeth removed,the absess flushed and packed with antibiotic beads he had to stay on penicillin injections for about 6 months after,Which i had to administer myself,It cost about £250 for the treatment but it was worth it because he was so much better after that for a while,How old is your bunny?

I had a rabbit that had an absess that had gone to bone he had to have his front teeth removed,the absess flushed and packed with antibiotic beads he had to stay on penicillin injections for about 6 months after,Which i had to administer myself,It cost about £250 for the treatment but it was worth it because he was so much better after that for a while,How old is your bunny?

My Daisy is only 17 weeks old! Vet said its very very rare in such a young thing!
I just find the decision so damned hard because obviously I want to give her the best chance possible but don't want her to have painful last memories or die on the operating table.
It sounds bloody awful that we will also struggle to pay for the first op never mind if she needs anything else:( why the hell does it cost so much??

claire x

My Daisy is only 17 weeks old! Vet said its very very rare in such a young thing!
I just find the decision so damned hard because obviously I want to give her the best chance possible but don't want her to have painful last memories or die on the operating table.
It sounds bloody awful that we will also struggle to pay for the first op never mind if she needs anything else:( why the hell does it cost so much??

claire x

Any op time costs ALOT.

I dont mean to be rude, but if you cant afford it than you may struggle.....abcsesses are often a long term thing.... they take a long time to fight off, Tipsy had 3 ops plus LOTS of meds and LOTS of vets apps (like 2 times a week) which cost me a fortune in petrol to my mum. I think she cost me about £600 if not more in the end.

That is very rare for a young bun. :( Poor critter. Is it possible she could have been bitten? Thats how we think my Tipsy got hers...........And my other bun got his through a infected root in his tooth.

Give Daisy a kiss for me. x

Any op time costs ALOT.

I dont mean to be rude, but if you cant afford it than you may struggle.....abcsesses are often a long term thing.... they take a long time to fight off, Tipsy had 3 ops plus LOTS of meds and LOTS of vets apps (like 2 times a week) which cost me a fortune in petrol to my mum. I think she cost me about £600 if not more in the end.

That is very rare for a young bun. :( Poor critter. Is it possible she could have been bitten? Thats how we think my Tipsy got hers...........And my other bun got his through a infected root in his tooth.

Give Daisy a kiss for me. x

The only way she could have been bitten is when nipping with her sister so quite possibly:(
I really don't want it to come down to money but obviously it is going to cost alot and not even proven she will be well at the end.
She is just in the corner of her cage at the moment, she is eating and drinking but has no interest in anything else:( she must be in pain because its half the size of her face:(
I just wish I could make it all better for her and bring her back to the cheeky little minx she used to be:(
I'm also worried about how lonely her sister will be if she does pass over:(
see even thinking about it makes me:cry:
claire xx

Is it really hot to touch (gently!!)

Did the vet not syringe/pop the abcsess when you were there or give any pain meds??

No vet didn't mention how it could have happened? It only appeared 2 days ago and doubled in size over night:( x

Have they done x-rays to confirm it is actually in the bone. I am guessing it is from an injury or even an insect bite as she is so young. I can't see what would have caused it from the inside at such a young age :?

Have they done x-rays to confirm it is actually in the bone. I am guessing it is from an injury or even an insect bite as she is so young. I can't see what would have caused it from the inside at such a young age :?

What about teeth...? Its on the face, I know it would be UNUSUAL for such a young bun but if the teeth are growing abnormally than surely that could cause an abcsess?

What about teeth...? Its on the face, I know it would be UNUSUAL for such a young bun but if the teeth are growing abnormally than surely that could cause an abcsess?

The roots would have to have worked their way through the jaw bone for an abscess to occur on the outside of the face and infect the bone. Plus it is on the side of the face not under the chin or on the nose area and dental abscesses from spurs are more likely to occur inside the mouth first.

Moses had an abcess on the side of his head but it was from an infected tumour inide his head but he was 9 years old.

I am surpised that the vet didn't give an indication of possible cause

The roots would have to have worked their way through the jaw bone for an abscess to occur on the outside of the face and infect the bone. Plus it is on the side of the face not under the chin or on the nose area and dental abscesses from spurs are more likely to occur inside the mouth first.

Moses had an abcess on the side of his head but it was from an infected tumour inide his head but he was 9 years old.

I am surpised that the vet didn't give an indication of possible cause

I can see your point.

Tipsys was almost def caused by a bite, you could see the bite wound, but my vet never said why she had it, maybe it didnt matter so much on her leg because it couldnt be dental or anything!

I wish you all the luck with Daisy. What a hard choice. I fought so hard with Tipsy because she didnt lose hope, never once did she sit in her cage and look miserable, which made me know she wasnt ready to give up. If she went depressed then I would have let her go but I would have hated to make the choice for her if you know what I mean.

((((hugs)))))

claire x

Aww she is young:( Alfie had dental problems he had to have a dental every 6weeks i only had him a year he cost me over £1000:shock:

How did the vet diagnose it being in the bone?

Seeing as she is such a young rabbit, I think I would opt for surgery then long term treatment with an antibiotic with good bone penetration.

I have a rabbit with two small abscesses in his jaw bone. He was disgnosed with osteomylitis (bone infection) around August time last year, but the infection hasn't progressed since then

How did the vet diagnose it being in the bone?

Seeing as she is such a young rabbit, I think I would opt for surgery then long term treatment with an antibiotic with good bone penetration.

I have a rabbit with two small abscesses in his jaw bone. He was disgnosed with osteomylitis (bone infection) around August time last year, but the infection hasn't progressed since then

She just firmly felt it, its bright red but not hot and no she gave no pain meds, just oral antibiotics and dint attempt to lance it?!?!?

I really want to give her a fighting chance as she is so young but don't want her to suffer!!

xx

I can't see how they would know it is in the bone without x-rays :?

It it is from some kind of injury then she has a good chance of making a good recovery with the op and good follow up care :)

Back