• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Julie post 73. Not great but she is still with us

Just found this. The ER vet won't even agree to do an xray to be certain there's no blockage?
I'm shocked that they won't agree to at least take a look or give her fluids or pain relief, even my little back woods ER does that much. :?
I hope she is doing better poor thing. Thinking of you both. I wish I could help. xxxx

Nope. They all say that rabbits are exotics and that they don't have an exotic vet there they won't see her. I am praying that tomorrow morning one of the emergency vets that are close enough to drive to has an exotic vet on. She seems a little more alert but still no poos or pee and not a lot of nibbling but a little of herbs.

All the vibes are appreciated. Thank you for the support too.

I will keep dear Julie in my prayers and hope for help for her tomorrow. xxxx
Jane mentioned the gauze incident...are we thinking she may have swallowed any of that and it's just now transitioning her gut? You haven't seen anything odd looking in her poos lately, have you?

Glad to hear she is at least trying to nibble a little bit, but the poor bub... ((((((snuggles for Julie)))))
You must be out of your mind with worry. I'm so sorry she is having troubles. (((((Hugs)))))

I am really hoping to hear some good news about Julie. I have no idea what time it is for you, here it is just after 6am so I'll check back later for updates xx

I am really hoping to hear some good news about Julie. I have no idea what time it is for you, here it is just after 6am so I'll check back later for updates xx

It is a little after 12:30 am. Julie actually about 20 minutes ago went into her litter box and did a wee and one longest soft poo.

Oh goodness, that is good news! I hope she is feeling better. Was the poo a cecal or combined fecals? Anything foreign that you could see in it? If it was the former, perhaps her cecum was impacted or she could have an infection in there.
((((((((More vibes for Julie))))))))) xxxx

Just wanted to send some vibes for you & Julie.
I really hope an Exotics vet becomes available asap.

How frustrating that none of the vets will see a bun :( Glad she's passed something. Sending lots of vibes for Julie xx

Julie hasn't passed anything since last night. That poo seems to be a tiny cluster of cecal pool. She looked like she was taking a nibble this morning but none of the food seems to be missing so not sure. She doesn't look comfortable this morning. She is very mad at me for syringing her metaman and abx. She is hiding behind her bunny teddy across the room.
I swear the vet thing is ridiculous. I called all round and finally found an E clinic with a rabbit vet on but then she asked the doctor if she could see Julie. She came back and said that no she could not see her because she was too busy......something about a goat coming in and surgical. I asked if I could bring her in 4 hours and she said no I would have to call and ask again.
She gave me a # of an clinic that she said that always has exotic doctors on but said that I had to call to see if they could see her.
I called and they will see her but said that they are not rabbit experienced but are exotic vets and do see rabbits from time to time. This place is at least 2 hours from here maybe more.
I don't know what to do. Julie is very stressed and mad right now. Don't know how she will do in the car for 2 plus hours there and then 2 back as she doesn't travel well anyways. If I take her there what should I be sure that they do and give me?
The vet around here suck. You have to call and even if they do see rabbits they ask what is going on in detail then go ask the vet that is on if they can see her.
The last time she went to emergency we were lucky as a rabbit vet was about to go off but agreed to wait for us to get in.

Okay...............my husband just said that he went into the kitchen and she was drinking water and she drank a good amount. I just went in and waive a basil leaf then a rosemary sprig in her face. She finally took a tiny bite of the rosemary but really acts like it is very hard to chew and hurts bad.
She might be going into stasis now from not eating but I really really think that it is her tooth. Her vet said that when she tried to pull the tooth she really dug at it and yanked and yanked.
So my question is what should I expect this exotic vet to do for her if I take her? Also the vet at the clinic that is too busy to see her is a highly recommended vet on the rabbit rescue site so would it be okay to wait the 4 hours then call them again? I am thinking that if she can wait then that will be in Julie's best interest.

It may be that Julie now has infection in the tooth root/bone. It is just oral Baytril she is on isnt it ? If so then this may just not have been enough to prevent infection. If the bone is infected (osteomyelitis) then this would be extremely painful

A Vet would be able to feel for thickening of the bone around the effected tooth and look in her mouth for signs of soft tissue infection/pus etc. But skull radiographs would be needed to fully assess the extent of infection. Given Julie's age, the fact that she only had a GA a couple of weeks ago and that she is now probably in gut stasis I personally dont think another GA for skull radiographs would be a good idea.

I think that more aggressive abx therapy - you can get Bicillin in the US cant you ??- If so that *by injection only* and additional analgesic cover. She is also likely to require treatment for gut stasis and a lot of nursing care.

I am really sorry things are so awful for you with regards to trying to obtain Veterinary treatment for Julie :cry:

Thank you so much Jane for all your help and time. i called the E clinic back that has the rabbit vet said that they were too busy to see her and begged telling them they I feared she would not make it. She said that I was welcome to bring her in. It will be at least an 2 hour wait but they will see her. I am headed there now because she said that would be best to come now and wait there so no one else will get ahead of her.

Thank you so much Jane for all your help and time. i called the E clinic back that has the rabbit vet said that they were too busy to see her and begged telling them they I feared she would not make it. She said that I was welcome to bring her in. It will be at least an 2 hour wait but they will see her. I am headed there now because she said that would be best to come now and wait there so no one else will get ahead of her.

I will be thinking of you and Julie and I so hope that the Vet can help her xx

Can't anything go right!!!!!! I had her loaded up in the car in her bed. Started down the driveway and the tire seems to be falling off. Husband is out trying to change the tire to the donut tire. Julie is back in and all stressed out. It was too hot to leave her in the car while he is changing the tire. Just can't believe this is happening.:cry:

Just to say I am sorry you are having such a nightmare. Life can sometimes be an absolute :censored:

Last edited:
Back