• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update, Evan Stasis again 12/9 Need positive vibes

Since my last post Evan stopped, restarted, and stopped sneezing again. I still have not figured out what is causing his allergies. He is such a sweet bunny as is his brother Dash.
If it is an allergy perhaps he is developing some resistance.

Oh dear, sorry to hear this.

Could it be due to pollens in the air? It’s a mystery! I hope he stays sneeze free :thumb:
Nothing is growing outside, so perhaps pollens in some of his hay. He could even be picking up subtle allergens from elsewhere in my house.

Since his sneezing is on and off I am thinking I can rule out anything like a growth or a tooth root issue. Is this correct?

Well I think it'd be unusual for either condition to cause intermittent sneezing. But as you know without diagnostics such as skull radiographs, nasal endoscopic examination etc it's impossible to say for certain. Some sort of environmental allergen seems far more likely to be involved, from my unqualified perspective x

Well I think it'd be unusual for either condition to cause intermittent sneezing. But as you know without diagnostics such as skull radiographs, nasal endoscopic examination etc it's impossible to say for certain. Some sort of environmental allergen seems far more likely to be involved, from my unqualified perspective x

When I first took him to the vet the vet was able to determine the type of white cell found in his watery nasal discharge was the type associated with allergies, so I am now convincd,

Last night when Evan got his area cleaned all was well. He ate his greens right away an was active. This morning I checked him after I had the procedure on my leg veins. he was pushing his bedding out of the way and pressing his tummy on the floor. He did not come for dandelions. His tummy felt full. I cleaned his litter box and he had some poos that were harder and larger than his usual that were likely made last night. He also did not drink any water. He did eat all the dandelions he got last night
I just gave him fluids and began his usual meds. I will be keeping an eye on him and watching for signs of improvement. I am hoping he will improve quicker that his prior episode of stasis. Please send my sweet boy some vibes.

Last night when Evan got his area cleaned all was well. He ate his greens right away an was active. This morning I checked him after I had the procedure on my leg veins. he was pushing his bedding out of the way and pressing his tummy on the floor. He did not come for dandelions. His tummy felt full. I cleaned his litter box and he had some poos that were harder and larger than his usual that were likely made last night. He also did not drink any water. He did eat all the dandelions he got last night
I just gave him fluids and began his usual meds. I will be keeping an eye on him and watching for signs of improvement. I am hoping he will improve quicker that his prior episode of stasis. Please send my sweet boy some vibes.

Oh Evan :cry: I do hope that he will respond quickly to the prompt treatment you have given xx

Oh Evan :cry: I do hope that he will respond quickly to the prompt treatment you have given xx
Thanks Jane.
Still no poo. After getting fluids, he peed so that is good. However, he is not eating anything on his own, not even his greens, so I am syringing a very tiny amount of critical care into his mouth at once and giving him time to swallow it. I just finished his third syringe feeding and fluids. I can feel the additional food moving slowly back. He is also getting pain meds and motility meds. He perked up when my spouse got home late tonight and he got some hugs from my spouse. His brother, Dash, keeps hopping around in the neighboring area trying to encourage Evan. I will try to get some rest after he gets his next dose of motility meds. Please give us both some positive vibes.

Evan has not eaten or produced poo for close to two days. This morning I thought he was improving because he was sitting and more alert instead of tummy pressing. By the time I realized he did not make as much progress as I thought, it was too late to get to the vets given our slippery weather conditions.
Throughout the day he has received pain meds, two motility meds, sub Q fluids, and syringe feedings with critical care. Tonight I syringed some water into his mouth and he was cooperating enough for me to get him to swallow 15cc. I am hoping the oral hydration will be more effective with his gut contents than the sub Q fluids he got twice today. Afterward he washed his face and paws which took away a small amount of my anxiety and sadness. He is stable at the moment, so I will monitor him tonight and hope the vet will be available tomorrow and/or Evan will improve overnight.
Please send us some positive thoughts.

I’m sorry I missed this update, sending lots of vibes to you and Evan. I hope he improves soon xx

I’m sorry I missed this update, sending lots of vibes to you and Evan. I hope he improves soon xx

Thank you. The evening before he became ill, he was sitting on me and he even gave me a couple of licks (I tell myself they were kisses). It is mindboggling to see how quickly their situation can change.
Even though his last episode of stasis in mid October was improved at this point; I keep telling myself that his first episode of stasis lasted a little longer so he still may make a full recovery.

My vet was off on Friday and they have not been able to replace the second rabbit vet in the practice. I asked about having a blood glucose test done. Even though the other dog/cat doctor was not aware of the value of the glucose in rabbits; they had no objection to having the technicians running the glucose test even though I would not get a professional opinion on the results. I took him and his test result was almost the same as in October when the result suggested he was not obstructed. At 5pm Evan passed one oblong poo. He also had what looked like a couple pea sized matter that looked more like uneaten critical care on his fur. I was hoping I would see more poo or see him eating; but that is not happening.
He is not cooperating with the syringe feeding. During his latest feeding, it took me an hour to give him 10cc of critical care. When I put him on the floor for a moment, he ran away from me so I worry that he hates me. He still has a lot of matter in his system that he needs to pass; so we can both use some extra vibes.

My vet was off on Friday and they have not been able to replace the second rabbit vet in the practice. I asked about having a blood glucose test done. Even though the other dog/cat doctor was not aware of the value of the glucose in rabbits; they had no objection to having the technicians running the glucose test even though I would not get a professional opinion on the results. I took him and his test result was almost the same as in October when the result suggested he was not obstructed. At 5pm Evan passed one oblong poo. He also had what looked like a couple pea sized matter that looked more like uneaten critical care on his fur. I was hoping I would see more poo or see him eating; but that is not happening.
He is not cooperating with the syringe feeding. During his latest feeding, it took me an hour to give him 10cc of critical care. When I put him on the floor for a moment, he ran away from me so I worry that he hates me. He still has a lot of matter in his system that he needs to pass; so we can both use some extra vibes.

I’m sorry that he hasn’t improved as much as hoped :cry: perhaps now he has passed that one poo then he will slowly start to pass more.

I am sure he doesn’t hate you, it is so hard having to medicate and syringe feed when it stresses them so much :cry: he will soon forgive you.

Sending lots of vibes for you both and hugs to you xx

Sending lots more vibes for Evan. Rabbits can be so difficult to syringe feed sometimes.

Back