• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unvaccinated rabbits with Myxi

Is he eating anything for himself at all ?
No. He shows a little interest moving his mouth around the food but doesn't actually try eating it. He has a bowl of college in his cage and this morning it had been either nibbled or spread around a bit - very hard to tell as there was a very similar amount to that I had put in but over the cage floor as well.

With the rapid weightloss and now the increased drinking I would check him regularly for signs of dehydration. It is possible that his kidneys are failing and if he is systemically dehydrated (can happen even if drinking A LOT if the kidneys fail) he will feel dreadful. Signs to look out for are tenting of the skin, sunken looking eyes and a 'stale urine' smell to the breath. If you note any one of these I would urge you to contact the Vet immediately.
Thanks, I'll certainly keep an eye on these - he seems OK at the moment. His drinking isn't massive amounts, more that he has started to use his bowl more (until he was ill he had always had water in a bottle and so isn't used to the bowl).

Dave

No. He shows a little interest moving his mouth around the food but doesn't actually try eating it. He has a bowl of college in his cage and this morning it had been either nibbled or spread around a bit - very hard to tell as there was a very similar amount to that I had put in but over the cage floor as well.

Thanks, I'll certainly keep an eye on these - he seems OK at the moment. His drinking isn't massive amounts, more that he has started to use his bowl more (until he was ill he had always had water in a bottle and so isn't used to the bowl).

Dave

He may be using a bowl as he has a sore mouth caused by the Myxo.

What pain relief is he on and at what dose ?

Only just seen this and I am so sorry for your loss, it sounds as though you have been doing everything humanly possible and I hope Harry gets through this - sedning mega vibes

grated carrot is soft and attractive.

myxi means they loose the sense of smell so that they are not attracted to food plus of course it can be painful if they have nodules on the mouth.

grated carrot is soft wet and smelly (its sugary as well but you cant have everything . . )

or grated pear etc

as long as he is gettig other foods with more fibre and pro biotics (recovery food etc) then grated veg and even fruit will not hurt . .

So sad about Jack :( and he was doing so well. Evil evil myxy.......

Sending you the best of vibes for Harry, he must be strong to have got this far and I hope he can continue to fight the evilness of the disease...

grated carrot is soft and attractive.

myxi means they loose the sense of smell so that they are not attracted to food plus of course it can be painful if they have nodules on the mouth.

grated carrot is soft wet and smelly (its sugary as well but you cant have everything . . )

or grated pear etc

as long as he is gettig other foods with more fibre and pro biotics (recovery food etc) then grated veg and even fruit will not hurt . .

Id just go with the fruit, anything to get energy and nutrients into him and it might cheer him up, thats the most important thing, never mind about teeth problems in the short term!

Id just go with the fruit, anything to get energy and nutrients into him and it might cheer him up, thats the most important thing, never mind about teeth problems in the short term!

the sugar is a hazard for the guts bacteria balance - not the teeth.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you. I know how you feel as i'm also nursing a bun with myxi who missed is jab due to illness a few weeks ago. I pray that your bun makes it as sadly i don't think mine will.
Sending loads of vibes for him and hugs to you.xxxx

My thoughts and prayers go out to you. I know how you feel as i'm also nursing a bun with myxi who missed is jab due to illness a few weeks ago. I pray that your bun makes it as sadly i don't think mine will.
Sending loads of vibes for him and hugs to you.xxxx
Thanks. Wishing you all the best with your rabbit as to be honest I don't think mine will make it either.

Dave

I wish you all the luck in the world sadly my bun was loosing his fight last night so i chose to help him to the bridge this morning :(. I do so much hope your bun rally's round if you need to talk or anything please PM me my thoughts, prayers and vibes are with you both.xxxxx

I wish you all the luck in the world sadly my bun was loosing his fight last night so i chose to help him to the bridge this morning :(. I do so much hope your bun rally's round if you need to talk or anything please PM me my thoughts, prayers and vibes are with you both.xxxxx

I am very sorry :cry:

Day 21 - the final day

Unfortunately my lovely Harry Hare passed away peacefully this morning.

He had clearly deteriorated significantly last night and after feeding him I just sat with him on my lap. He again seemed to be really content with being cuddled and from the warmth from my lap and his blanket and both of us fell asleep in the chair. I didn't put him back in his cage until I woke up again about 1am :) This morning he had his feed and again I sat with him for a while. He stretched out and died a few moments after I put him back in his cage.

I'm truly sad to have lost them but glad that I tried to give them a chance, even though their odds were never good. Thank you all for the help and support I have had over this horrible time.

Dave

Aw I am very sorry that you lost them both. :cry: They sure put up a good fight and I admire you for going all the way with them trying to help them through it. Night night bunnies, binky free. Xx

I am so sorry, you tried so hard and they both knew how much you loved them sending massive hugs to you. Binky free little bunnies together again.xxxx:cry:

I am so very sorry - I know how it feels to have fought and lost side by side and soul by soul with a beloved rabbit against this dreadful disease.

Back