• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unpacking sawdust. Is there a quick way?

I used to get the big bales of shavings (I use megazorb now) and I found the best way to break it up was to bang the sides once it was open. :wave:

Thanks for the replies. I want to do what
is best for my rabbit so I will use what
shavings I have and then look into the
alternatives. At the age of 37 this is the
first time I have owned a rabbit so it is a
bit of a learning curve.

Thanks for the replies. I want to do what
is best for my rabbit so I will use what
shavings I have and then look into the
alternatives. At the age of 37 this is the
first time I have owned a rabbit so it is a
bit of a learning curve.

Here is one of the best places to learn about them :)
Megazorb or paper based cat litter is meant to be loads better for the buns. Megazorb is really soft and can be found at most equestrian supply places.

It might be worth starting a new thread asking about hutch size, diet, neutering/spaying and vaccinating. All of these are essential, and so many shops and books give you the wrong info!

You can also use carefresh bedding, it's really soft. Personally I find the smell of it disgusting, not sure if thats just me though :lol:

You can also use carefresh bedding, it's really soft. Personally I find the smell of it disgusting, not sure if thats just me though :lol:

I love the smell of carefresh in comparison to Megazorb! (Megazorb smells like erm stale vinegar) :lol:

Though it's alot more expensive, I have to buy carefresh instead of megazorb for my uni house though due to lack of storage! Grr!

I also use shavings. I buy big packs of horse shavings, I usually pull off big chunks of it and break them up in the hutch.:)

I love the smell of carefresh in comparison to Megazorb! (Megazorb smells like erm stale vinegar) :lol:

Though it's alot more expensive, I have to buy carefresh instead of megazorb for my uni house though due to lack of storage! Grr!

Yay, great :shock:
Does this mean I'll need a peg everytime I clean them out? :lol:
Carefresh just seems to have a vile, sweet smell.

Im usung sawdust at the minute, as Ive tried towels which my two ate. Ive tried carefresh which they ate. Im going to try megazorb soon once this bag is finished :lol:

Its such a pain though, I dont know about you but it gets everywher on my carpet and then sticks to my socks so then goes everywhere in the house.

I don't find it smells :) It might have something to do with where it is stored before you buy it because I am sure its been mentioned on here before, but I have never had a problem with it. If you make a point of actually sticking your face in the bag then yeah it probably has a smell to it but you don't notice it from just standing next to an open bag of the stuff or a filled litter tray

I have my rats on it in my bedroom and you can't smell the megazorb at all, when they were downstairs people used to be surprised that the room didn't smell x

I don't find it smells :) It might have something to do with where it is stored before you buy it because I am sure its been mentioned on here before, but I have never had a problem with it. If you make a point of actually sticking your face in the bag then yeah it probably has a smell to it but you don't notice it from just standing next to an open bag of the stuff or a filled litter tray

I have my rats on it in my bedroom and you can't smell the megazorb at all, when they were downstairs people used to be surprised that the room didn't smell x

When my neighbours went on holiday they put their guinea pigs in our garage for me to look after. They used woodshavings, hay and a bit of carefresh. The smell was overwhelming, I could smell it from the garden. At first I just thought it was guinea pig poo, but then realised it was the bedding when I smelt the packet.

Yeah I think carefresh has a strong smell, I have used that occasionally when I have run out of megazorb mid week and that you can smell just from standing next to the cage

Ok if it wasn't raining I would go to the shed and smell my bag of megazorb :lol: You definitely can't smell it from my rats cage I am sitting just a few foot away from it :lol:

Back