• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unhappy rabbit after being away

walsh366

Young Bun
My rabbits stayed with a friend for 3 nights and came home on Sunday night. The male Max has been really off since being home. Cross, aloof, not eating much and generally not himself. Could the change of scene have upset him? He is not himself at all and is upsetting. His sister seems her usual self. Thanks Sarah x

He's def drinking okay and pooing but off his food although eaten a biscuit and some parsley when I tempted him a bit ago. He is grooming himself I notice x

Did your friend feed him and look after him same as you, ie did he have same exercise space etc

I would be concerned that he might be developing stasis due to the stress of being away from home, which is not an unusual thing to occur with rabbits. Anytime a rabbit is unusually subdued and not eating normally, the possibility the bun is feeling unwell needs to be carefully looked at. If your bun is still not acting himself and not eating well, I would suggest a visit to your rabbit savvy vet, especially if his poop is abnormal in any way, such as smaller and darker than usual.

Been out to them this morning in the rain (no free roaming today) and Max fell on the pellets like a last supper so that's good. My friend who has her own rabbits def overfed them and I was very specific about the amount they have (minimal pellets at 8am then just hay/grass til late afternoon before greenery) as the level of food that came home was low! Her rabbits are free roamers too so my two had a small run on grass while they stayed (and in the house time) so not their usual area but that's how it is if it rains at home of course.

Max tried to give me and my daughter a nip (never done that before) and is trying to roger his sister both of which I see as assertive behaviours?

I'll assess re poop etc after work at 2pm but when I cleaned out this morning both litter trays had normal contents in.

Thanks for messaging. Much appreciated. Sarah

i don't think I'd be asking her to look after them again. It's not fair on anyone - most of all your rabbits - to overdose them on pellets, as if they are being kind.

My Dad comes to my home to feed my buns when Im away.... gives them the right hump! lol x

Max seems back to normal today thank goodness so I'm sure he was upset at being away plus the definite overfeeding. We have no family holidays planned this year so won't be needing a rabbit sitter for the forseeable future (that sounds well depressing now I've typed that lol) x

Max seems back to normal today thank goodness so I'm sure he was upset at being away plus the definite overfeeding. We have no family holidays planned this year so won't be needing a rabbit sitter for the forseeable future (that sounds well depressing now I've typed that lol) x

Ahhhh glad he's back to normal xx

Back