• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unexpected pregnancy

Debbieann

New Kit
So my doe recently gave birth to two kits. Very unexpected as I thought I had two sisters. But here we are. Any way kits were doing really well. Both nestled in their nest, mum doing an amazing job, mum and kits were in hutch in garden with a play pen attached for run. Yesterday I went to check on them ( they’re probably about 10 days old ) and only one was in the nest. Went in to utter panic. Only to find the missing kit about 15 metres from enclosure by our garden gate. Sadly kit was dead. And I’ve been so upset ever since. I’m baffled as to how this happened. And I’m trying to figure out how? I’ve bought remaining kit and mum inside now in a large cage. As I was so worried it could happen again.

I'm sorry about the kit :cry: It sounds as though it could only have been predated. Could any animal have been able to jump in and jump out again with the kit? A cat for example?

I'm glad you have the Mum and remaining kit inside now. I assume you have also separated the buck from the Mum?

I'm sorry about the kit :cry: It sounds as though it could only have been predated. Could any animal have been able to jump in and jump out again with the kit? A cat for example?

I'm glad you have the Mum and remaining kit inside now. I assume you have also separated the buck from the Mum?
Hi no I wouldn’t have thought so. The enclosure is quite high but never say never I guess. Some have suggested it may have died and mums dragged it out but it wouldn’t have got to where it was in that case. I just feel so guilty. One day I check and they’re cosy in the nest and the next this has happened. Yes the buck has been separated but not until this incident so I am aware mum is quite possibly pregnant again.

The deceased kit was probably latched on to a nipple suckling when Mum hopped away from the nest. The kit could have been moved a fair distance from the nest. The kit then got hypothermia as he/she was unable to get back to the nest. Sadly this can happen. Especially if the Mum is very young herself and it’s her first litter.

Back