• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

U/D post 12 Mimzy and Pip *Includes pictures of surgical wound with blood*

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Carrying on from this thread:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...-Fiver-all-home-but-still-uncomfy-U-D-post-17

I think perhaps taking three bunnies in at once to have a number of procedures done may have been a stupid move. :(

So I've still been waiting for normal eliminations and consistency from both Fiver and Pip since their dentals on Wednesday. Fiver is doing a bit better, he left me a lovely batch of pips last night
phone%2520pix%2520and%2520vids%25208-29-14%2520002.jpg

but I haven't really seen him do much more today so far. He is eating bits and bobs of his hay but since his spurs were the worst I do expect him to take more than a few days to normalize. He is lively and enjoying his twice a day pain relief at 0.3 mls metacam.

Pip seemed to be eating hay okay last night but her poos were even more misshapen than Fiver's this morning and there weren't many of them. She is also on 0.3 mls metacam twice a day but she weighs 2600 grams and Fiver is only 1800 grams. I think I'm going to have to get either a higher dose for her, or if it's upsetting her stomach, (she turns her face away from the syringe when I try to administer it and at times will box me or run away...she really seems to not want it at all) maybe eliminate it and see if she eats more than she has been.
She's been gnawing on a piece of willow (a cross cut of the branch) so I know she can eat, she is just not interested in her hay. I've given her some fresh hayseed from outdoors, this is something I have fed to all the bunnies before but not regularly because we only have a brief window of good weather where the stuff grows decently. She hasn't had much of it but it seems she prefers greens at the moment. She always has dysbiosis with greens if she gets too many so it's not great for her to choose them over her hay, but I'm more interested in getting something in her stomach which felt rather empty this evening. I also had to take away her cardboard hidey box because I think she was eating chunks off it. She has been drinking and peeing, the litterbox and the hidey box were getting wet upon.

I have this evening given her both a homemade compressed hay cube (from Bunspace, she has had them before and once again it will give her dysbiosis to eat much of it but at this point I'm desperate) and some dried willow leaves and rosebuds. She will eat these and now seems to be lying down comfortably and not sitting up hunched over. She also had some green leaf lettuce this evening to be certain she gets moisture into that GI tract.
Waiting to see how she does but if there is no improvement by morning or she takes a turn for the worse it's back to town.
U/D: A picture of some poos I found in the litterbox about 9 PM. Small, odd shaped with some fur and dark, but hey, at least we've got some output. (The dime is for size comparison, her poos are normally a bit dark but usually bigger and rounder.)
phone%2520pix%2520Pips%2520poos%25208-29-14%25209PM%2520005.jpg

Now Mimzy is a whole other problem. He is eating and eliminating well (let's face it, dentals are no big thing for him he has so many) but his ear drops are either bugging him or not getting to the infection because he's tilting his head sideways and towards his back. Add to this he has twice now almost opened his sutures up on his shoulder from the lump removal. It wasn't stitched but glued together. Now he's not gushing blood or anything, it seems pretty superficial but there is some blood on the spot and it looks like he's opened the suture line a bit either by washing it or chewing on it. I'm mostly worried about it getting infected but of course a free bleed would be a disaster. :(

(Warning: don't look if squeamish about surgical wounds)

Surgery day:
phome%2520pix%2520and%2520vids%25208-27-14%2520115.jpg

Today: (the blood is dried, not flowing)
phone%2520pix%2520mimzy%2520wound%25208-29-14%2520003.jpg

I didn't get a picture the second day because although it was bleeding just a bit the wound didn't look that bad and it seemed like he was leaving it alone.

If this worsens in any way he's definitely on his way to either ER or the regular vet depending on what time of day it is, and I'm at least going to call the vet tomorrow morning... but honestly...what can be done other than glue it back together? Can he be placed in a cone when he's got to be able to eat and clean and reach his cecals? I've seen those little cloth donut-like ones but I don't think we have those up here, I'd have to order one from Outside and that will take too long to arrive. :(

Our weather is also turning very cold right now and we've had heavy frosts. This is where all the plants will start to yellow and brown within just a few days so gathering forage will become impossible very quickly.

Not our week. Really. :evil:

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you. :love: xx

Last edited:
Oh gosh, you really have got a lot on your plate this week :shock: sending lots of vibes, I wonder for Mimzy if you could use a baby vest or dolls vest to put on him, some people have been using them to cover spay wounds? I've no other advice I'm afraid, I don't know if it will need to be closed up again::?: could he be doing it due to the pain, is he on max dose of metacam?

Zoobec thank you! :) I wonder if one of Jenna's wee sweaters might fit him and keep him from tearing at it? If he doesn't try to eat it of course, but that might work. I'll give it a shot. ;)

He is on 0.5 mls metacam twice a day which is the most his vet will allow. I wonder if it's pain ot itchiness that is making him mess with it? :?

I'm sorry your buns are having such a difficult time recovering. It must be so stressful. I know how stressed I get just waiting for a bun to recover from a neuter.

If you have any vetwrap, you may be able to fashion your own donut collar. I've seen a picture of someone that has done it, and it seemed to work. I think they just used a sock to form the log shape, and wrapped it up in vetwrap, then secured the two ends with some more vetwrap, to make the donut. A soft e collar is something else that might work.

Sounds like you have your hands full! The vest thing might help.

I wonder if he is in pain still? I don't think he would pick at it so much if it was itchy. It must be so hard when your vet seems reluctant to prescribe adequate pain relief. Maybe they should have an op with a couple of paracetamol afterwards?

I had much the same poop wise with Honey, and she wouldn't eat her hay for days. She had a load of small, misshapen poops one day, then hardly any the next. I had to keep giving her veg and forage, but that must be so hard when the weather has turned cold.

Sending loads of vibes xx

Cant offer much except lots of love and vibes for speedy recoveries...

Keep your chin up, lots of love
Fee x

Thanks everyone :)
Well Pip's output has improved a bit so I'm not as worried there. But it definitely looks like Mimzy has separated a small part of his suture and the 'glue' is kind of hanging off in two bits. I can't and don't dare remove it and want to know if he ingests it will it hurt him?
He's horribly wriggly and the area is sensitive. I don't think I can get the doggy shirt on him, :( not without severe distress or discomfort.

Thanks everyone :)
Well Pip's output has improved a bit so I'm not as worried there. But it definitely looks like Mimzy has separated a small part of his suture and the 'glue' is kind of hanging off in two bits. I can't and don't dare remove it and want to know if he ingests it will it hurt him?
He's horribly wriggly and the area is sensitive. I don't think I can get the doggy shirt on him, :( not without severe distress or discomfort.

I doubt that ingesting a small amount of surgical glue would cause a problem. Because of the location of the surgical wound I would have thought that suturing might have been more appropriate as the skin will keep stretching as he moves about pulling the wound apart. So it may not be that he is licking it but that the glue is not strong enough to hold the wound together when the skin moves about.

Has it opened up any more ?

Thanks Jane :) I don't think so but I couldn't see it too well this morning when I went to check them. It looks about the same from what I could tell. Up early only because my daft boy showered late last night (about two a.m.) and then left the kitchen window open afterwards so Minzy and Pip have been sitting on an ice cold floor as the temp went down to freezing. :evil: I ramped up the heat to warm Mimz back up because he hates being cold and he appears active and hungry but someone's going to get an earful. :evil:
I looked all over the net last night but can't really find much about this glue and possible ingestion. :? It appears though that this would be a secondary layer and anything that did separate would be only external layers of skin and no deep tissue. I'll phone the office anyway just to be sure. I do wish my vet had put stitches in because I have experience removing them and can do it at home but I guess she didn't realize and wanted to save him a trip back in.
I did try to put the wee shirt on last night and at first he didn't mind...then one foot popped out of the sleeve and in three hops he'd escaped it. :lol: Houdini would be proud. :roll:

Thanks Mrs. B. :)

Okay, well today Mimzy looks like he's chewed off the upper chunk of the surgical glue (no idea if he swallowed it or spit it out) and the wound is looking more bloodied but not so much that I'm too concerned as it's not a great deal, plus the surrounding area doesn't look irritated or as red as it was first day. However I am still worried about possible infection if he messes it about any further.

Pics today:
phone%2520pix%25208-30-14%2520018.jpg

phone%2520pix%25208-30-14%2520019.jpg

You can see the other chunk of glue is that kind of brown spiky thing pointing down from the wound.

Him jumping out of the sweater I put on him last night: :roll:
phone%2520pix%25208-30-14%2520002.jpg

He's eating and pooing well and is stroppy enough to flick his ear drops all over me if he gets the chance. :roll:

Fiver and Pip are doing okay except that Pip is snubbing her hay. Hardly any of it has been eaten. Granted she got a lot of treats yesterday but although her poos have increased in size and number they're not anywhere near the right dimensions I'm used to for her. :? I am beginning to wonder if, since this hay is of a higher quality than what they've been eating for the last year or so, perhaps they just don't need as much of it? Fiver's hay is barely dented and yet he made more poos than Pip did.

Pip's offering this morning:
phone%2520pix%25208-30-14%2520011.jpg

And Fiver's:
phone%2520pix%25208-30-14%2520017.jpg

I'm running down from stress. If things would just get back to normal then maybe I could calm down, but I'm a wreck. :(

It can take several days for the GI tract function to return to normal. Are they both drinking well ? Getting things well hydrated will be a great help

Sending more vibes for them xx

Sorry don't know what to advise about the wound, just hope it closes up naturally. Try and not worry about the poo, from my experience with Mr Bennett he usually takes at least a week to recover from a dental and his poos are awful for at least two weeks. After so many dentals I got more used to his slow recovery. Cutie-pie was completely different, back to normal straight away. Mr B isn't a good drinker so that is probably half his problem. Hopefully your buns will be back to normal within the next few days.

Back