• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two siblings together….when to neuter??

Luka12346

New Kit
Hello all!
I’m new, I’ve literally just joined. You all seemed so friendly and helpful when I googled rabbit forums I thought I’d start my bunny journey here!
I’ve got two baby giant contis joining us to be indoor rabbits in three weeks. So excited! I’ve two friends who have indoors buns and it seems so much better for them.
My question is about neutering though. They are siblings and a boy and girl, collecting them at 10 weeks old. They are obviously already together. When I’ve researched it though it seems to be saying to separate them till they are neutered, and then re bond them 6 weeks after. I’m not keen on this though as a) space and b) what if they don’t re bond?
I’m very unsure on what to do any advice would be great!
Thanks! 👍☺️🐰

Hello and welcome! I would get your boy neutered as soon as the Vet will do it then the girl can be spayed later. The problem with this will be if your Vet can't do the neutering before he/they become old enough to get pregnant. If you have to separate them don't worry as they should re-bond fairly easily but you will need advice on how to go about it.

I agree with Tonibun. I have 3 pairs of male+female siblings who have never been separated. The male was done at about 14 weeks and the female at about 26 weeks. The age the male matures will be different for a giant so I can only offer advice on the principle rather than the specifics.

Thanks for the replies! That sounds like a plan.☺️ Once we get them I’ll be taking them to the vets for a check and vaccines anyway and I’ll get him neutered as soon as they will do him. The lady says we can have them at 10 weeks, the mum unfortunately died when they were about three weeks, not sure whether to ask if we can have them a bit earlier maybe 8 weeks, so we can get them vaccines and neutered ASAP. They aren’t with mom anymore unfortunately Anyway xx

Sorry Mum has died, you don't know why I suppose? You are obviously going to give them a good home, getting them vaccinated etc but try not to be in too much of a hurry. Take one step at a time with Rabbits and please keep them on the same food as they are eating now for a while and if you want to give them something different, change over slowly over about 2weeks. Ask if they have been eating veg so you know it should be ok to give them some. If they haven't had any you will need to wait until they are about 12 weeks old then introduce small pieces gradually. When you take them to the Vets ask him to check their sex as Rabbits can be easily mis-sexed at this early age. Have a read on the Rabbit Welfare Association's website for lots of excellent information.

Hey, thanks for the reply! Yeah I’ve asked what food they are on and it seems like a good brand of pellet with good reviews so I’ve bought a big bag of that, I won’t change it. I didn’t realise about the veg, I’ll make sure to ask that too. I’m not in a hurry but just keen to get them checked over and vaccinated once they’ve settled in, and I definitely don’t want any unplanned litters lol! We are getting them on the 13th once they are 8 weeks x

Back