• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Two rabbits died within a day of each other

Jade_J

Young Bun
We moved into a rental property one year ago and since then all four of my rabbits have died. Yesterday morning I found my beloved Smudge, a 7 yr old lop, dead in his hutch. He didn’t seem himself the night before as he was sat in the rain and just seemed quiet. I brought him in, dries him off with a towel and he was moving around and ate the strawberry I gave him. I thought he was ok but unfortunately not. This morning I found my last Rabbit, Fluffy a 6yr old Angora, dead on the grass with a bit of grass poking out of her mouth. I fed Fluffy last night and she jumped up into her hutch as soon as I put the food out, there were no signs of illness. This morning my daughter saw Fluffy on the grass, having an itch. Fluffy had grass poking out of her mouth so I assume she was eating grass at the time. The have free roam off the garden. It all just seems too coincidental. Th neighbours do not like the rabbits, they never have. I know this because they have told our landlord. I’m questioning whether they have thrown something over to poison them. They are incredibly nosey and like to watch us (a mother and older daughter) however I can’t imagine they would try and position them. It just seems so strange. I have phoned local vets but they are not doing post-mortems. Has anyone ever known rabbits to pass in such quick succession and whilst eating?

I am really sorry you have lost both of your rabbits. Without a post mortem we don't know what could have caused it. Were they vaccinated as it sounds very much like RHD2? I doubt your neighbours would poison them. :cry:

We moved into a rental property one year ago and since then all four of my rabbits have died. Yesterday morning I found my beloved Smudge, a 7 yr old lop, dead in his hutch. He didn’t seem himself the night before as he was sat in the rain and just seemed quiet. I brought him in, dries him off with a towel and he was moving around and ate the strawberry I gave him. I thought he was ok but unfortunately not. This morning I found my last Rabbit, Fluffy a 6yr old Angora, dead on the grass with a bit of grass poking out of her mouth. I fed Fluffy last night and she jumped up into her hutch as soon as I put the food out, there were no signs of illness. This morning my daughter saw Fluffy on the grass, having an itch. Fluffy had grass poking out of her mouth so I assume she was eating grass at the time. The have free roam off the garden. It all just seems too coincidental. Th neighbours do not like the rabbits, they never have. I know this because they have told our landlord. I’m questioning whether they have thrown something over to poison them. They are incredibly nosey and like to watch us (a mother and older daughter) however I can’t imagine they would try and position them. It just seems so strange. I have phoned local vets but they are not doing post-mortems. Has anyone ever known rabbits to pass in such quick succession and whilst eating?

I am very sorry for your losses :cry: Were both Rabbits fully up to date with their vaccinations to cover Myxomatosis, RHD1 and RHD2 ?

Back