• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Turned down to adopt rabbit

Hi, I am pretty sure I know what rescue it is. I have been there and they do keep all the animals inside and it is quite a squeeze to be honest but they really care for the animals and try to find them the best homes as soon as possible. They do seem to have a policy of only homing to indoor homes which is a shame.

I would't worry though, most of my buns are rescues and they live outside. I don't think they are more prone to health problems either. One of mine is nearly 10 years old and has lived outside for most of her life. I adopted most of my buns from Fife rabbit rescue and they are happy to rehome to a shed and run.

Thanks everyone! I won't mention the place in question as I'm not out to bad mouth them, more to say that it made me have serious doubts about venturing outside again. The playhouse will be heated and I will be having a little corner in it so I can sit out in piece with the buns :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
But do others think it is ok to keep them outside? I'm a bit nervous about going outside again.

Mine are outside buns and they love it! Fresh air, lots of room, each other, knee deep in straw in the winter, warm shed and covered run. The only person who misses out in this relationship is me as I don't get to see em as much as I'd like - they don't care cause they have each other! Very loved up bunnies!! :love: I think if you treat them right and keep them warm and cosy - they will love outside, unless they are used to being kept inside possibly.

I'd bring mine in in a heartbeat but they'd be miserable. :roll:

Wow im really surprised at this reading the thread ....I have not only a single rabbit...but he also lives outside :shock:

....he is also very happy and heathly and safe and spends his life playing with my dogs and skipping around to his hearts content....:D

Good luck though with your search....obviously just wasnt ment to be...what a shame x

Wow, he sounds so happy :D. My house buns love my dog too, but hate each other :lol:

I think some buns are quite happy by themselves, just as some people are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it's hard to tell unless you see your bun experiencing both?? We have a solo house bun who has to be solo because of medical reasons and she seems happy enough but if we could we'd get her a husbun in an instant because deep down I'm pretty sure she'd love another bun to snuggle with :love: I read a post a week or two ago on here and it said something like: "I thought my bun was happy enough and then I bonded him/her, the difference is amazing, wedded bliss!"

I guess it's hard to tell unless you see your bun experiencing both?? We have a solo house bun who has to be solo because of medical reasons and she seems happy enough but if we could we'd get her a husbun in an instant because deep down I'm pretty sure she'd love another bun to snuggle with :love: I read a post a week or two ago on here and it said something like: "I thought my bun was happy enough and then I bonded him/her, the difference is amazing, wedded bliss!"

I thought my bun Smokey was happy for the first two years of his life, but now he has his girls I can see the difference in him :love:, nothing better than seeing buns snuggling together:love:

Well we have two separate neutered males (were bonded, but fell out), both outside.

If they only rehome as house rabbits, that must severely limit the number of adoptions they make. I would be interested in knowing how long, on average, it is before a rabbit finds a home.

out buns = happy buns!

How silly to say rabbits must live indoors. Their natural habitat is outdoors, with snug places to sleep! Our 2 buns live outdoors. Their hutch is by the back door so they can see us and we can see them. Their lawn run is on the bit of lawn nearest the back door. Their 'rabbit garden' for free-ranging (with hay-filled shelter-box) is round by the glass side door. They get carried to and fro to garden or run morning and night - lots of human contact and cuddles and a chance to check them over. They couldn't be happier buns. When the winter became really harsh we tarpaulined their hutch each night, and drawing back the front of the tarpaulin each morning. We have no problems from them being outdoor rabbits - it is what they know and expect.

Lots of luck with your search.

Maybe the bunny had been indoors, and doesn't like outdoors. I have a rabbit who is funny like that. I couldn't keep her outside, she gets all depressed, has to be around me. Maybe because she is on her own outside, but i think that having bonded groups is great- they love each others company and sit grooming in the sunshine all day.

Perhaps they are worried about the prospect of things like flystrike which are more likely outside etc. It's life though- you can't protect animals from everything, just as you can't protect your kids or even know 100 percent that you aren't going to get knocked down today, so you carry on going outside and living life, that's what it's all about. There is being precautious and there is being far too overprotective.

Ifi didn't have my rabbits outside, i don't think i'd be out much at all :) I love my creature comforts. I think the outdoors is a great place for bunnies though it's perfectly natural. I don't think god or nature intended for rabbits to be kept in houses, regardless of if we all prefer it that way for our own peace of mind about the bunnies.

well myfriend wanted a boy for her girl house bun shes spoilt goes out in garden if nice shes called princess coco! Kinda gives you idea shes spoilt and her local rspca refused her one because rabbits should not be kept indoors they live naturally outside!
She was upset so i would say its just where you go. In my opinion if someone can offer a rabbit a home with access to garden and at least 6 hours a day exercise correct diet and vet checked etc then dont matter where they sleep they are giving that bun a life.

I have a preference for house rabbits and maybe the person who runs the rescue is hoping for this for their bunnies. Have they a website and does it not set out their adoption criteria on there?

I agree with Jan that, if I were homechecking, I would expect everything in place and would not rehome until I had seen the run - if it was not there at the time.

Most rescues want loving homes and your shed and run seems a good idea. I would recheck with the rescue to be sure that you understood clearly they only want house rabbit homes and, if so, I would try another rescue. If there is not another local rescue, bunny runs can be arranged for bunnies from other rescues

Back