• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trouble using ramp

Hi. We bought a new rabbit home 4 days ago and I'm a bit worried he's going to hurt himself using the ramp inside his hutch. He was in a single storey hutch before but started using the ramp from day one.
He just charges up, legs going crazy, loosing grip. Sometimes he doesn't make it and has another go a bit later. Not sure what to do to help him out or if he'll just learn how to do it eventually.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

You could take the ramp up and just provide a platform to jump up from - a wooden box, breeze block, etc. Otherwise, put some bits of carpet or similar on the ramp to give it some grip, and maybe add a side rail to stop bunny falling off the edge.

Thanks shimmer. It's got batons up it, a bit like ladder rungs stuck to the floor and a bit of a side rail. I've some old carpet tiles so I'll give that a go first. Thanks for the ideas.

Can you take the ramp out and instead put one of those wooden houses (they sell at pets at home) underneath for a sturdy step up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could put a brick or similar under the base of the ramp to make it less steep. I had a pair of rabbits once, who when they first came to me, were hesitant about the ramp, then eventually they would just jump up through the gap instead of using the ramp t all :lol:

The batons don't really help IME, we've had better success removing the ramp and putting a brick underneath. Our 8yo and 6.5yo pair have no problem jumping in and out (the 8yo has had this all his life). Our foster is using an identical hutch that still has the ramp in place, and he jumps from the top of his stick tunnel to the top of the ramp, and comes out by takig a flying leap as son as possible. He avoids the ramp as much as possible! I have a plan to put some roofing felt on it one day.

I've had to take the ramp completely out of my hutch due to both rabbits having sight issues now and replaced it with a Runaround tube. Had to create a custom "collar" at the top and use wire for fixing points on the rest of the tube to hold it in place at the best angle but it was worth doing as they think nothing of charging upstairs in it now.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I stuck carpet on it and he seems OK with it now. I'll remember your other ideas incase his future hutch-mate needs something different.

Back