• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

TRIMMING RABBITS FRONT TEETH WITH CLIPPERS.....

Harv had his teeth burred on Tuesday this week but he's still grinding his little sneggies together. Is this normal?

Nic n Harvey xxx

Hi Nic, they checked his back teeth under GA a couple of months ago and said they were ok. He does make a grinding noise with his teeth sometimes. I can imagine how you must be worrying if his back teeth are also a problem. The thing is you get so attatched to these little buns don't you? mine was ill a couple of months ago as he stopped eating and had to go on fluids and stay in the vets for three days. I was really upset about him and visited him each night for a cuddle so he did not give up.He is a house bun and thinks he is one of the dogs. I hope he is ok. Pam

Thats disgusting that they charged u for the pain relief!!!!
I would've made a right stink about it! :shock:

Anyways, my vet uses the burring method and it is better for the teeth and much less stress for the bunny and owner!

She even demands that any locums that cover her when she is away use anything but this! (I used to be her nurse & I would have to show the vet how to use the burr machine prior to consultations :) )
All clippers are hidden!

quick question my bun i noticed today all of them have fine teeth except jack they look a tad long (not badly) but i wanted to make sure they didnt get long as ive never had a bun who has had his teeth burred or clipped im curious to know if its expensive? are we talking mega bucks?

At my surgery you would pay an initial consult fee (if u book just for a teeth check this is usually waived, but not in all cases as some owners see this as a free invitation for a full health check and 45 minute consult!) and under a fiver for the burring, any repeat (whether its only one more time or for the rest of his life) will only be under a fiver.

I suggest you ring your surgery and ask for them to check/burr the teeth if needed and any decent vet won't charge a consult fee so long as u only keep to talking about the teeth :)

I only know about guinea pigs, but my rodentologist clips Alfie's teeth about every 10 days and always does a fantastic job, but she uses special surgical clippers, designed especially for clipping guinea pigs teeth and they can't be vertically fractured this way, nail clippers do FAR more damage than good!!!

edit: oops just realised it didn't say nail clippers :roll: but believe it or not this is what alot of people use :shock:

Back