• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Treating a myxi wildie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope she pulls through. I would probably PTS, but at the same time, some rabbits do survive. If you are in the vaccinity of myxi, the unvaccinated rabbits are at risk anyway, especially when you have cats who may carry fleas.
I can't disagree with you as we have a isolated FIV cat, this puts the others at risk, although less so than myxi.
I wouldn't take in a wildie as I would be concerned for its future if it survived, what to do with it?
Anyway, well done for giving it a chance.

It is a very kind thing of you to do, but I do have to say that I would also pts. :oops:
I discussed the idea with my vet a while back, and I just don't think it's ethical to try and save a wildie if they have a very bad case of mxyi, but it is all depending on the severity of symptoms. A tiny amount of bunnies in the wild are able to survive mxyi, but generally treating them is very difficult, and even if you do get them through it, it is most likely that the bunny will suffer from permanent neurological problems.

Goodluck!

good luck beth,
i think you are all wrong, when we are ill the doctor doesn't kill us does he, it's the same think to bunny has a chance like anyone else.
beth has got 3 others what had it there ok
x

good luck beth,
i think you are all wrong, when we are ill the doctor doesn't kill us does he, it's the same think to bunny has a chance like anyone else.
x

Its not a case of wanting to 'kill' the wildie.
My concerns are :
1- There are unvaccinated Rescue Rabbits in the same environment. Myxo is spread not only by direct contact but also by biting insects. All it would take is one bite from one flea or one mozzie and you have a disease outbreak :cry:

2- This is an adult Wild Rabbit. Even if he/she survives (which is unlikely although not impossible) he/she will never be able to be returned to the wild and is likely to be very distressed in captivity :cry:

I fully understand that seeing such a vulnerable and ill Rabbit we would all want to help.
But my personal opinion is that in cases like this helping means doing right by all the Rabbits and I am affraid that would mean the wildie needed to be PTS.

I hope that things work out OK and that all the other Rabbits involved remain free from disease.

good luck beth,
x

Treating a rabbit with mxyi is not like treating a human for a cold, or flu even. I've seen three domesticated rabbits treated for it over a long period of time, seen them struggle to breathe amongst a whole other range of awful afflictions, only to survive with permanent health issues. To pull a wildie through, to then go on to have permanent health problems is not ethical i'm afraid. They may have a quality of life in our eyes, in the sense that they are being well fed and kept safe, but it's no different to keeping a wild bird caged.

Its not a case of wanting to 'kill' the wildie.
My concerns are :
1- There are unvaccinated Rescue Rabbits in the same environment. Myxo is spread not only by direct contact but also by biting insects. All it would take is one bite from one flea or one mozzie and you have a disease outbreak :cry:

2- This is an adult Wild Rabbit. Even if he/she survives (which is unlikely although not impossible) he/she will never be able to be returned to the wild and is likely to be very distressed in captivity :cry:

I fully understand that seeing such a vulnerable and ill Rabbit we would all want to help.
But my personal opinion is that in cases like this helping means doing right by all the Rabbits and I am affraid that would mean the wildie needed to be PTS.

I hope that things work out OK and that all the other Rabbits involved remain free from disease.

That was another thing i was thinking nursing a pet rabbit in one thing,but with a wild one it must be very stressfull especially at the min with it being blind:( and not used to being handled

but at the end of the day its up to beth no one else and shes got it on it own in the house.
just cos you kill a rabbit when it sick doesn't mean everyone else does.
her vet must think its got a chance.
x

I think everyone wishes Beth well with this..and we can all understand how when faced with an ill animal you want to help it
All people are doing are expressing concerns for the other rabbits and for the stress on the wildie..

but at the end of the day its up to beth no one else and shes got it on it own in the house.
x

I find what you just said very upsetting:( I nursed my rabbit for 4 weeks it wasnt nice he was pts because his body had given up he had no fight left in him,Im going from my experience on an unvaccinated rabbit i gave him every chance i didnt kill him myxi did

x

It certainly is up to Beth, and we just want to give her all the information we have on this topic so she can make the most informed decision. We're not telling her what to do, we're just stating what we would do in the situation.

To be blunt, our goal is not to keep rabbits alive. Our goal is to keep rabbits happy for as much of their lives as possible. Myxi will take an average of 14 days to kill a rabbit with no resistance, and it is a suffocating long death. None of us would wish this on any of our bunnies. It is far more cruel, in my opinion, to have a rabbit slowly die over 14 days than to have it PTS.

Also, myxi was introduced to the UK in 1953, and by 1955, 95% of the rabbit population was gone. It is not a merciful disease.

I understand your love of rabbits quite well, and we want what is best for all bunnies. We just might disagree on what that is, so that's why we have this forums to discuss tough issues, and help educate and support other members.

I hope you'll consider some of these things if you were ever put in a similar situation.

Last edited:
I find what you just said very upsetting:( I nursed my rabbit for 4 weeks it wasnt nice he was pts because his body had given up he had no fight left in him,Im going from my experience on an unvaccinated rabbit i gave him every chance i didnt kill him myxi did

Of course you didn't kill him Marie.
You allowed him freedom from suffering having lost his fight to get better. I am sure you still think of that dreadful time a lot and it is something all of us dread having to face.
You did all you could and that included letting him go

xx

Of course you didn't kill him Marie.
You allowed him freedom from suffering having lost his fight to get better. I am sure you still think of that dreadful time a lot and it is something all of us dread having to face.
You did all you could and that included letting him go

xx

I will never forget i also will never forgive myself for not doing it sooner:(

x

I think this is a very unfair comment, most people on here do their utmost to save their rabbits, in most cases they will try to save any animal.
The harsh facts of life, mean that most of us have been in a situation where it would have been kinder to give up rather than fight as long as we did and we are just trying to give Beth all the info needed so she doesn't end up in the same situation.
Perhaps if you had nursed as many animals as many of us have you would think twice about such an insulting comment.

good luck beth,
x

x

What a god damn AWFUL thing to say!
Words fail me.

why is it awful its true animal's should have a chance to live just has much as anyone else.
but when they do die at least you know you tried your best.
x

why is it awful its true animal's should have a chance to live just has much as anyone else.
x

Sorry, but if you were incurable pain, unable to see, and incredibly stressed, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want someone forcing you to cling onto the last strand of painful life.

I think it's fair to give them a chance, but don't drag it out.

Sorry, but if you were incurable pain, unable to see, and incredibly stressed, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want someone forcing you to cling onto the last strand of painful life.

I think it's fair to give them a chance, but don't drag it out.

Agreed :thumb:

x

Please do your research before you insult peoples feelings. In unvaccinated buns, it is VERY unlikely they will survive, and i will admit, especially with a multi bun household, i would PTS rather than let the little one suffer.

I don't think you can comment until you have seen such an illness in the flesh and see a rabbit dying a slow, painful death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back