• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Training rabbit to come to his name

babylee

New Kit
Hi,

Does anyone have any tips on the best way of training my rabbit to come when I call his name? Or at least so that he knows what his name is?

Thanks,
Abby

Bribary!! :roll: :lol: My lot come running if they think food's involved - anything other than that and they're not interested!!

Yes, I agree with Chloe. My two came haring towards me when I call because I always had food for them when I called their names. Friends are always very impressed but it's just cupboard love!!

I agree - I have a special tone of voice that I only use when calling the rabbits for a treat, and it takes less than a day for them to learn this. I never use that tone when there is no treat in the offing. I had one rabbit that always came, guaranteed; one that would come when the other one started running towards me and drew his attention to it, and the ones I have now will come if there is nothing more exciting going on. I expect it depends on the greediness of the rabbit.

One of my rabbits has also learnt to jump over a jump, partly in response to a command (although I think it is the tone and rhythm rather than the word) (there is always a treat for him on the other side of the jump).

Back