• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toys or things to do

nixxy83

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

My rabbit Smudge is now 2 1/2 years old - he is an indoor rabbit. Recently when we let him out he runs around for bout 20 mins and plays and then he just lies down in the corner or in the middle of the room - my thoughts are this would be ok if he was only out for an hour - but he spends 5 hours and just doesnt seem to do anything.... he went to the vets last week and they said he is fine - his weight is where it should be and he is perfectly heathly..

Has anyone got any ideas of what I could do for him?? be it new toys or making him something?

Thanks alot

Nikki

Hiya

My buns are indoors and I try to give them rotate a selection of toys for variety.

What they have are:

• cardboard box (either with hole cut in or on side)
    toilet rolls stuffed with food and hay
    rabbit balls (with bell in)
    wooden "bridge"
    apple branches
    rollin'the'hay toy (minus stands as god only know where they are!)

Does any of that help?

Bunns tend to be quite sedentary in the middle of the day, the nearer dusk and dawn it is the more active they are.

Give him the remote control and watch him spring into action;)

Jingly balls and the thinner kind of willow toys (not the P@H tat) are good!

What time of day was it because mine sleep solid from lunch time until 6ish & most of night.Mine are at their most active after breakfast & tea so will play more then.They like things to throw like baby keys/rattles/wire balls/toilet rolls.

Mine don't really play with toys, they just like doing what 'real' rabbits do, i.e. chewing and digging. They dig in their hay-filled cardboard boxes, and they chew anything you let them chew. It's not really 'playing', but it keeps them happy. They seem to have short bursts of activity at various parts of the day and night, but mostly at dawn and dusk. You could get him another rabbit to play with......

My bunny won't play with anything I buy her ever! It's like she knows she's allowed to chew them or wreck them and that makes it less enjoyable :)

Toys and things are a good idea if you're worried he's bored.

The pet carrier is part of the 'furniture' for my two. Recently I've equipped it with a yellow pages and Muppet likes to stop by and give it the good shredding it obviously deserves ;) (The advantage of it being in the pet carrier is less paper spread everywhere for me to tidy up!)

My other tip is to re-arrange the furniture (even if only temporarily - you could make him an obstacle course!). Muppet is very intrigued when I move things around (because I'm hoovering or dusting) - he comes over to check everything :lol:

But he may not be bored... You say he's only active for a short while and then just lounges about, so you're thinking of shutting him in more. Does it matter what he does when he's out? He's probably just enjoying the space, the freedom (and presumably your company) :D Isnt that enough in itself? If having him out of his cage isnt causing you any problems, just leave him to it :D

It's a bit like if someone shut you in your bedroom cos when you're out of it all you do is sit on the sofa and watch tv... ;) But you like the change of scenery dont you? You have the choice to go back to your bedroom if you like. And if you wanted to something you COULD!

Like the others have said, rabbits are livelier in the morning/evening and tend to snooze during the day, so whenever you do let him out make sure it's at the times when he'll appreciate it most. On the other hand, dont assume he'll 'perform' to a timetable. He might still want to just lounge about!

Mine love all kinds of things but mostly the simple ideas like boxes and tunnels. I sometimes put treats in the middle of a toilet roll tube and stuff hay in at either end and they enjoy that. All 3 of mine love willow toys (they seem to be a fav with them hehe).

Oscar loves to throw his string carrot around a lot too. He also enjoys to play with his soft toy friend :p

Most the time when they are out they like to jump around and find places small places to explore.

The only thing my 3 were never keen on was the balls with the bell in :S

Hi everyone,

My rabbit Smudge is now 2 1/2 years old - he is an indoor rabbit. Recently when we let him out he runs around for bout 20 mins and plays and then he just lies down in the corner or in the middle of the room - my thoughts are this would be ok if he was only out for an hour - but he spends 5 hours and just doesnt seem to do anything.... he went to the vets last week and they said he is fine - his weight is where it should be and he is perfectly heathly..

Has anyone got any ideas of what I could do for him?? be it new toys or making him something?

Thanks alot

Nikki

Sooty does exactly the same, i dont think its because they are bored - though mine have plenty to play with they are not really bothered apart from cardboard boxes and toilet rolls...

I think they have the chose and thats all that matters - sometimes they chose not to come out of their run when the door is open which is fine, sometimes they do - walk a few meters then flops again :roll:

I think sooty is just lazy whereas Oreo has little bursts of madness where he rushes round at 100mph for about 20 mins then flops with sooty looking on thinking it all looks too energetic :lol:

thanks for all the tips and advice :D

We have built a little obstacle course for him with boxes and tubes and he loves that - he also has now inherited a scratching post which has been put in a tub with hay and this I think is his favourtie - well apart from cuddling up with daddy that is.

We have been thinking bout getting him a friend for a while - and once we have moved then I really am thinking that this might just be the right option for him.

He isnt really bothered about willow - but I have only ever brought him the Pets at home stuff - and reading the comments is that not good????

All in all he is a happy little thing and I think thats all tht matters :lol:

The Pets at Home willow balls ALWAYS go down well with my lot, good for the teeth too. I think a bunny friend would be an excellent idea too. All mine live in pairs they communicatewith each other rabbit to rabbit, spend time grooming, snuggling. Another bunny would be the best thing ever :D

Rabswood

I swear by cardboard boxes! Pie loves them.
She also has 'Piggy' a little stuffed pig she has now bonded with. She also loves the ratten balls, we often play football with them.
Oh and pine cones, she dosnt eat them but will throw them around with much glee. :roll:

Back