• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tortoiseshell/Harlequin...

I would say shes harlequin,
To be a perfect harlequin you have to have 1 side slightly different shade to other side of body perfect line down middle of back if you look close.
Left ear will be darker/lighter to right ear, back right foot will match front left foot but opposite to back left foot by slight shade difference.

Ooooh must go and look if Louie is perfect or not! :lol::lol:

I'd say harlequin. I thought tortoishell wasn't a colour in its own right and that its more descriptive in that it refers to the way the points (ears, noses etc) are darker, ie you'd say a rabbit was a chocolate tort, lilac tort and so on.

034.jpg

Harlequin??

010.jpg

Tortie???

My George is a harley, though he was described as being a dwarf lop when we got him. He has a very angular face with black on one side, cream on the other (the colours switch under his chin :love:)!

I would describe my Fifi as being tortoishell coloured, definitely.

Gosh, this is more confusing than I thought it'd be! :lol:

What colour would I call Jess? She's quite a light colour on one side and a darker colour on the other!

35765_454583833573_709523573_6166266_6439816_n.jpg

I've always called her (and all multi coloured, splodgey bunnies! :lol:) a harlequin. Or maybe she's 'tri-coloured'??

Geroff my bun! :evil::lol: I can't believe how much she looks like Daphne! Even the same markings. I've always thought Daphne was a harlequin, that's what everyone rabbit savvy who's seen her has called her anyway. I wasn't even aware of the colour/marking 'harlequin' before I got her

My vet said Ruby was 'like a tortoiseshell colour' but I'm not sure if that is a definite confirmation :lol:

Harlequin and tort are completely different.

Emilybun, your two are harlequins and so is yours Georgie. Fifi is a tri colour (broken harlequin)

A black tort's genotype would be aaB-C-D-ee
A black harlequin's genotype would be A-B-C-D-ej-

You can put ej with a (Harlequin with self, non-agouti) but then you'll end up with shaded harlequins

Torts are pointed, an orange/fawn base colour, but the ears, tail, feet and nose are darker, and can be black, blue, chocolate or lilac. In baby rabbits you can hardly see the points, and whilst young they will be quite strong, as they get older the points get bigger but fade out more if that makes sense.

Tort is just the name for a colour. If does get confusing when tort in cats is what harlequin rabbits could look like. Harlequin can describe a colour (in a cross breed, rex or lop), or could mean the breed Harlequin, a rabbit of harlequin colour/markings weighing around 3kg

If the Harlequin colour has any white with it, it's usually called tri-coloured, like tri-dutch and tri-english. Tort with white dosen't have a fancy name, could be broken tort, tort dutch, tort english, charlie tort etc.

Oh and If there's harlequin markings, but no fawn/orange colour, it's called magpie, again a colour and a breed

Last edited:
So would something like a seal point be classed as a tort because of its darker points or is it completely different again?

So would something like a seal point be classed as a tort because of its darker points or is it completely different again?

No a seal point is a seal point, even though it is basically a tort with the yellow pigmentation removed (this is done by the chl gene). The gene that would make a harlequin a magpie is the chd gene

Last edited:
Gosh, this is more confusing than I thought it'd be! :lol:

What colour would I call Jess? She's quite a light colour on one side and a darker colour on the other!

35765_454583833573_709523573_6166266_6439816_n.jpg

I've always called her (and all multi coloured, splodgey bunnies! :lol:) a harlequin. Or maybe she's 'tri-coloured'??

Just gone back through the thread, although your bun is of 3 colours, I'm unsure if the white markings are caused by the vienna gene or dutch gene. If it was the vienna gene, I don't *think* your bun would be classed as a tri colour, just a vienna mark harlequin, then again vienna marks aren't showable so I'm not sure

Awwwww who cares they are all adorable whatever they are classed as - I've called Jingle a Harlequinn Rex - I think he is a tortoiseshell according to this info - I just told him, is he bovvered nah :lol: just gorgeous.:wave:

Awwwhhh! Look at everyone's cute mystery coloured bunnies! :lol::love::wave:

Now I really wish I'd listened during biology lessons! :lol: I like I'm kind of getting it, although I thought the bunny in Amy's link would be called a sooty fawn?

Jess is stunning - defies classification! :love: I particularly like the second photo (the one where she is looking at the camera quizzically, and I think the big lad is in the background). :wave:

Her heads a bit squiffy as she was recovering from EC. Although I have to admit, I think she was extra cute with the head tilt - she used to kind of look at me as if she was really interested... Now she doesn't! :roll::lol::lol:

ETA - I've no idea about Jess's genes, she came from a pet shop a good four/five years ago so I've no idea what her parents looked like. I guess she could have some dutch in her. I remember her being there woth two litter mates who were both a much darker colour with no white though.

Last edited:
Sooty fawn is what they call tort lops. Some colour names change depending on the breed they're on, just to make it more confusing :roll::lol: Chestnut agouti in rex is called castor for example

Sooty fawn is what they call tort lops. Some colour names change depending on the breed they're on, just to make it more confusing :roll::lol: Chestnut agouti in rex is called castor for example

*Goes into brain meltdown*

I think I'll just carry on describing Jess as 'a bit orange, a bit black and a little bit white' :lol:

Back