• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toilet trained rabbit going in difficult corner

OfficerO

New Kit
Hi,
I have two 4 year old Dwarf lops that I’ve had for about 6 months and they have been living inside for 5 months.
Around christmas time one of the dwarf lops even after being trained to go into the hutch to use the litter tray has been peeing by the door that connects to the foyer in the house at night time.
We have tried solutions like attaching a run to the hutch and they have been good not peeing in the corner since but its really cumbersome and you Can’t access the door to the foyer when its there.

I’m planning on getting a wire run today to block off that corner at night, but has anyone else dealt with anything similar?

Once they have started to use a particular area to wee it’s difficult to stop them, you can try mopping up the wee, and then cleaning it up thoroughly, and use a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water to remove the scent of the wee. I would make sure there is plenty of hay in their litter tray or in a rack above it, as they like to wee and poo where they eat.

As well as using the 50:50 white vinegar/water sprinkling some baking soda onto the area and leaving it for a few hours before sweeping it up can further reduce the scent of urine.

They still use the litter box during the day, only seems at night that 1 of them will go in the corner by the door. It's funny because he understands he's not supposed to do it, when he goes near the corner and I stand up and walk over he moves away from it, i have been cleaning thoroughly after they do go there. We're going to try and push their hutch back into the corner on the right where it originally was before the xmas decs went into the corner, see if that changes anything. otherwise I'm just going to wall off that corner at night and see what happens as well.

It's because there is a door there and the Rabbits are marking that spot to say this is their territory.

Am I right in thinking you are saying that the hutch with the litter tray in used to be in that corner? if so I would do as you have mentioned and move the hutch back over that side (bit awkward if you use that door now though!) or as others have said thoroughly clean the area with white vinegar, and put another tray on that spot, then over time when you clean it gradually move it back towards the hutch. Then block off the area for a bit. Also just pop a little handful of hay in the tray to tempt them to go in there.

Not saying this will definitely work with your rabbits, but worth a try!

Last edited:
The hutch was on the wall on the right side of the room so the opposite side to the door. Which makes it all the more strange they just swapped sides to use as a toilet, it’s only 1 of the 2 rabbits doing this as well.
I do want to get an additional litter tray and some wire cage to block off that corner at night which is when it happens so I’ll give that a go and just keep at it with the vinegar spray to clean that corner

Back