• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Today's the day - U\D post 81: they are eating :)

Thank you.
They haven't eaten since they got back and I've not seen any poops.. I'm sure they will when they are ready. They have only been home an hour!

I wouldn't worry too much tonight unless they look in obvious serious discomfort or something looks very wrong. I can't imagine you'd fancy tucking into a full dinner the same evening you had a hysterectomy!

Assuming there's nothing that makes you feel something is very wrong (looking in a lot of pain, pulled stitches out etc), I would just leave them warm and quiet this evening, with a bowl of water and fresh, tempting foods, and hopefully they will have started to eat by the time you get up in the morning.

I wouldn't worry too much tonight unless they look in obvious serious discomfort or something looks very wrong. I can't imagine you'd fancy tucking into a full dinner the same evening you had a hysterectomy!

Assuming there's nothing that makes you feel something is very wrong (looking in a lot of pain, pulled stitches out etc), I would just leave them warm and quiet this evening, with a bowl of water and fresh, tempting foods, and hopefully they will have started to eat by the time you get up in the morning.

Thank you Santa. Deep down I know this, but I can't help but worry. They are normally such good eaters and it upsets me to see them so sad.
They don't appear in pain, they are both just flopped out in the dog crate. I've left their bowl with a few pellets in and some herbs and veggies. Hopefully they might have gone by morning.
They normally drink from a bottle, will this be ok?

I would give them a bowl as well if you can - most bunnies find it easier to drink from a bowl if they're feeling a bit drowsy after an op as it's less effort for them, and the more they drink the quicker it will help to flush the anaesthetic out :)

It's natural to worry but my girls have all taken a while to get eating, and as long as they're warm and have access to food and drink and have painkillers I'm sure they'll be fine this evening and feeling slightly brighter by morning - they're prob. still groggy from the anaesthetic....

It's natural to worry but my girls have all taken a while to get eating, and as long as they're warm and have access to food and drink and have painkillers I'm sure they'll be fine this evening and feeling slightly brighter by morning - they're prob. still groggy from the anaesthetic....

Holly was drinking from the bowl earlier :) Fern is still flopped out in the carrier. She had a hop about earlier.
How long did it take your girls to eat? If they haven't eaten by morning should I call the vet straight away or leave it until late morning and see if they eat then?

My girls have always started with something like dandelions washed in cold water. They are tempted by the food and the water on them boosts their water intake.:wave:

Mine didn't eat until the afternoon after I think, or they ate very little. It is a much more invasive op than for boys. Sounds as if they're doing fine; just see if you can tempt them to eat tomorrow morning and ring the surgery if you're worried? :wave:

Mine didn't eat until the afternoon after I think, or they ate very little. It is a much more invasive op than for boys. Sounds as if they're doing fine; just see if you can tempt them to eat tomorrow morning and ring the surgery if you're worried? :wave:

They came home about 4:30 this afternoon so if you think about it, it's not that long ago. They were perkier than I expected when I collected them but have spent most of the night flopped out lying down.
I'm hoping I wake up to see some bits of veggies nibbled on. Might try the dandelion thing in the morning :)

Back