• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Toasty's making light wheezing/snorting sounds

Hi Jane, I gave the bisolvon yesterday evening, does it have to be given at the same time every day? I'm guessing not, but I want to ask just to make sure x It says on the label that I have to give a pinch of that once daily, might sound like a silly question so my apologies but a pinch would mean just a tiny amount right, I just poured the tiniest bit on a wet blackberry yesterday, I was wondering if theres any harm if it's a little bit over? I out some boiling water in a cup yesterday evening a few times and let the steam go near his nose, but that maybe only lasts for 20 seconds before he moves. Is there a specific amount of time he should inhale the steam for or should I just do it as many times that I can. Awwh Dara is certainly a very pretty white Nethie :love:. I had no idea you had one! Toasty says thanks to both you and Dara :love:.

I am already thinking of purchasing a nebuliser. Are the antibiotics just as effective? because I'm thinking if the nebuliser helps with upper and lower tract infections then I should give it a go, or is using steam just as effective? The only problem is I can't get Toasty to stay still for 15-20 minutes. I'm now wondering why the vet prescribed antibiotics first and only recommend nebuliser until after he reacts to treatment or why not recommend a bronchodilator? I know I should of asked the vet while I was there, I was so sleep deprived that day :? When I try give his medications yesterday he would open his mouth to gasp for air. I feel like the bronchodilator will help open his airways or is the steam just as effective, but again It's difficult for Toasty to stay still for a minute. Another silly question but can steam become too hot for rabbit's nose, although I won't put his face directly in the facial steamer.

The abx are essential to tackle the bacterial infection. You may want to speak with the Vet about giving the abx via injection rather than orally if oral administration causes Toasty to gasp for breath. Bronchodilators actually open up the airways and work very differently to nebulising. But nebulising can still be useful. Bisolvon and/or abx can be given by nebulisation but abx given by injection would be my (unqualified) preference.

With regards to the dose of Bisolvon, just a pinch is as it sounds- like a pinch of salt in a cooking recipe.

The abx are essential to tackle the bacterial infection. You may want to speak with the Vet about giving the abx via injection rather than orally if oral administration causes Toasty to gasp for breath. Bronchodilators actually open up the airways and work very differently to nebulising. But nebulising can still be useful. Bisolvon and/or abx can be given by nebulisation but abx given by injection would be my (unqualified) preference.

With regards to the dose of Bisolvon, just a pinch is as it sounds- like a pinch of salt in a cooking recipe.

I remember someone saying they give their bunny meds in a banana, so that's what I'm thinking to do with his baytril and ronaxan. Today when I gave his baytri, he wasn't swallowing it and then i picked him up again to see that it spilled out of his mouth onto his chin :(so I gave the little remaining in a banana I .know baytril can have a nasty taste, when he had it a few months ago for a possible uti infection he always use to swallow it when i put him down, guess it's just because he feels poorly this time. I've noticed that after the facial sauna he instantly looks like he's breathing better :).

Sending vibes for Toasty. Probably the rabbit best name I've ever seen xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Awhh thank yo so much!, he seems like he's doing better now and that is so sweet of you to say :love:. Funny story but that popped into mind when I was deciding on names with my little sister, even though she wanted to call him 'Justin' :lol:. I will never forget that. Some time later I extended his name- Toasty Roasty Fruity Nut, feel like it has a nice flow to it :p

I remember someone saying they give their bunny meds in a banana, so that's what I'm thinking to do with his baytril and ronaxan. Today when I gave his baytri, he wasn't swallowing it and then i picked him up again to see that it spilled out of his mouth onto his chin :(so I gave the little remaining in a banana I .know baytril can have a nasty taste, when he had it a few months ago for a possible uti infection he always use to swallow it when i put him down, guess it's just because he feels poorly this time. I've noticed that after the facial sauna he instantly looks like he's breathing better :).

You could try putting the abx on a treat of some sort, but he may not eat it and thus not get the dose. Worth a try though. My preference would definitely be to give abx by injection. I am glad the 'facial saunas' appear to be helping him to feel more comfortable for a while :)

Glad to hear he is improving.
I have done Baytril injections in the past. You may need to inject into muscle. Jj would know.

Sending more Toasty vibes, glad there has been a little bit of improvement. You are doing a great job with him xxx

Thanks to everyone who's being so supportive of Toasty and wishing him improvement :love:. Unfortunately I noticed that when Toasty is breathing through his nose, I think he may be breathing through his mouth as well at the same time, as it looks like his mouth is moving as well, although it's not open, or is it just him flaring his nose? I thought he was getting better as the wheezing almost completely stopped. Here's a video so you can see what I mean. Also I noticed wetness on his nose and on his chin, could this just be the mucous coming out, or could it be dental related? There was a little bit of fur with white dry flakes that felt rough and came out on his right side of his face just under his fur, you might be able to tell in the video and just a little under his chin where the wetness was. He's struggling more with his right leg as well and I haven't seen him eat much today and for some reason he eats very slow https://imgur.com/mP23HZA. Although he still ate his favorite fruit pieces of apple. His poops have become very tiny and less, but he's still peeing. https://imgur.com/6HTLmhV I had a mini meltdown today, as I'ts very hard seeing him this way, when I thought he was improving. I wonder if cold laser therapy or acupuncture can help with his leg, i think that's why he's not eating as much. He is on loxicom 3kg dose I know it may need to be increased by a lot, I rang the vet this morning to ask what the 0.3ml would be in the kg syringe and she told me the 3kg mark. But I don't think this can be right as the kg syringe looks a lot smaller than the ml syringe. I tried leaving him to himself but when I noticed he wasn't eating really or pooing it got me very worried, only when i picked him up just an hour ago he opened his mouth a few times to gasp for air i think, but he only does it when picked up which I don't understand, could it be because of the position he's in? I will have to get him an appointment tomorrow morning again, even though I was just telling the vet over the phone on how he was improving :(. I'm still trying to keep hope guys I don't want to lose him :cry:.
Update guys, I just spotted what looks like yellow mucous on the side of his mouth and just wiped it off.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who's being so supportive of Toasty and wishing him improvement :love:. Unfortunately I noticed that when Toasty is breathing through his nose, I think he may be breathing through his mouth as well at the same time, as it looks like his mouth is moving as well, although it's not open, or is it just him flaring his nose? I thought he was getting better as the wheezing almost completely stopped. Here's a video so you can see what I mean. Also I noticed wetness on his nose and on his chin, could this just be the mucous coming out, or could it be dental related? There was a little bit of fur with white dry flakes that felt rough and came out on his right side of his face just under his fur, you might be able to tell in the video and just a little under his chin where the wetness was. He's struggling more with his right leg as well and I haven't seen him eat much today and for some reason he eats very slow https://imgur.com/mP23HZA. Although he still ate his favorite fruit pieces of apple. His poops have become very tiny and less, but he's still peeing. https://imgur.com/6HTLmhV I had a mini meltdown today, as I'ts very hard seeing him this way, when I thought he was improving. I wonder if cold laser therapy or acupuncture can help with his leg, i think that's why he's not eating as much. He is on loxicom 3kg dose I know it may need to be increased by a lot, I rang the vet this morning to ask what the 0.3ml would be in the kg syringe and she told me the 3kg mark. But I don't think this can be right as the kg syringe looks a lot smaller than the ml syringe. I tried leaving him to himself but when I noticed he wasn't eating really or pooing it got me very worried, only when i picked him up just an hour ago he opened his mouth a few times to gasp for air i think, but he only does it when picked up which I don't understand, could it be because of the position he's in? I will have to get him an appointment tomorrow morning again, even though I was just telling the vet over the phone on how he was improving :(. I'm still trying to keep hope guys I don't want to lose him :cry:.
Update guys, I just spotted what looks like yellow mucous on the side of his mouth and just wiped it off.

Sadly he is mouth breathing and he is probably not eating much now and only eating very slowly as he cant eat and breath at the same time :cry: He also probably feels very poorly :cry: His leg may be giving some pain, but to be honest he is far too sick in other ways to have any 'hands on' treatment for that. He will mouth breath a lot more when stressed, hence it's more obvious when you pick him up.

The 'mucus' around his mouth may be that he got food stuck in his throat and had a 'coughing fit'. This can happen when a Rabbit has such a severe respiratory tract infection. This is one of my previous Rabbits, 'Hal' after he had a 'coughing episode'

T4qQwiY.jpg

gk3GHwa.jpg

Toasty's GI tract motility is obviously now being effected and has slowed right down.

I feel it would be unkind of me to give you false hope, we know that Toasty is critically ill and it would be patronising of me to tell you he can definitely get better. When you see the Vet this morning I fear you need to prepare yourself for the worst, but of course hold on to the glimmer of hope that after a thorough clinical examination the Rabbit Savvy Vet may feel that Toasty can try to fight on.

Please forgive me if my honesty has upset you even more. In these situations I never know if it's best to say nothing, just send vibes or do as I have just done and offer an opinion. I never intentionally mean to cause additional distress to a person who is already despairing about their beloved Rabbit.

I will be thinking of both you and Toasty. I know that you will do whatever is in his best interests. He could not have a better Care Giver than you.

(((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))) xx

So sorry to read this update :( sending you and Toasty more vibes and hugs :( xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Sadly he is mouth breathing and he is probably not eating much now and only eating very slowly as he cant eat and breath at the same time :cry: He also probably feels very poorly :cry: His leg may be giving some pain, but to be honest he is far too sick in other ways to have any 'hands on' treatment for that. He will mouth breath a lot more when stressed, hence it's more obvious when you pick him up.

The 'mucus' around his mouth may be that he got food stuck in his throat and had a 'coughing fit'. This can happen when a Rabbit has such a severe respiratory tract infection. This is one of my previous Rabbits, 'Hal' after he had a 'coughing episode'

T4qQwiY.jpg

gk3GHwa.jpg

Toasty's GI tract motility is obviously now being effected and has slowed right down.

I feel it would be unkind of me to give you false hope, we know that Toasty is critically ill and it would be patronising of me to tell you he can definitely get better. When you see the Vet this morning I fear you need to prepare yourself for the worst, but of course hold on to the glimmer of hope that after a thorough clinical examination the Rabbit Savvy Vet may feel that Toasty can try to fight on.

Please forgive me if my honesty has upset you even more. In these situations I never know if it's best to say nothing, just send vibes or do as I have just done and offer an opinion. I never intentionally mean to cause additional distress to a person who is already despairing about their beloved Rabbit.

I will be thinking of both you and Toasty. I know that you will do whatever is in his best interests. He could not have a better Care Giver than you.

(((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))) xx

Jane thank you for your your message, just 5 minutes after I read it, I saw Toasty just about when he was to pass away. I picked him up and told him I loved him and held him in my arms. My life will be so different without him now. I was so used to him. I don't know how I will cope without him.

Jane thank you for your your message, just 5 minutes after I read it, I saw Toasty just about when he was to pass away. I picked him up and told him I loved him and held him in my arms. My life will be so different without him now. I was so used to him. I don't know how I will cope without him.

Oh bless you heart :cry: Toasty will have felt such great comfort from you, his best friend forever. I am actually crying myself now, I know there are no words that I can post that will be of any comfort, so I will just send (((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))) :cry:

RIP Toasty Bunny xx

I'm so sorry :'( xx

Oh bless you heart :cry: Toasty will have felt such great comfort from you, his best friend forever. I am actually crying myself now, I know there are no words that I can post that will be of any comfort, so I will just send (((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))) :cry:

RIP Toasty Bunny xx

Thanks Jane I'm not really sure what I should do in this situation. Do I bury him somewhere to rest in peace? or bring him to the vet

Thanks Graciee
Regarding what to do, that's entirely up to you. Whatever you want to do is right. If you want to bury him or take him to the vets and have him cremated etc could also do a post mortem if you wanted, it's a very personal thing, sending you so many hugs :( x

Thanks Jane I'm not really sure what I should do in this situation. Do I bury him somewhere to rest in peace? or bring him to the vet

Regarding what to do, that's entirely up to you. Whatever you want to do is right. If you want to bury him or take him to the vets and have him cremated etc could also do a post mortem if you wanted, it's a very personal thing, sending you so many hugs :( x

As Gracie said, it is a personal decision as to what feels 'right' for you. I have my Rabbits cremated when they pass away. You can request an individual Cremation and have Toasty's Ashes returned to you in a Casket of your choosing. Give the Rabbit Savvy Vet a call as they are bound to have details of local compassionate Pet Crematoriums in your area. They will have one they use themselves.

Such a very sad start to the day :cry:

Back