• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips for making friends with my rabbits

Sonja05

New Kit
6 months ago I adopted a pair of angora cross lion head rabbits from a sanctuary. Sadly they previously lived in a hutch, ignored and became one big mat of fur. They now have their forever home with me as house bunnies. They seem very happy but are still very nervous around humans. I spend time with them just lying on the floor with them and not forcing strokes or cuddles on them. Does anyone have any top tips in helping them become more confident around me? I do get to stroke them for a short while but whenever I groom them I then get ignored for a few days. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Lovely you've given 2 rescue rabbits a caring forever home. I'd do what you are doing but introduce treats - healthy ones. I reckon they'll come round more when they notice you've got a few dandelions about your person

You have to be very patient. It takes a long time to gain the trust of the rabbits. Do not hold bunny's unless you have to. You should always move slowly. You should avoid loud noises. Until the rabbits get used to it, limit the number of rooms they visit. You always sit down, don't take care of them, play with the phone or read a book. After a while they will wonder and they will come to you. Sit on the floor and always wait for them to come to you. That's all i know, but I'm so glad you saved them. :)

Thank you for your advice. I’ll keep lying with them and reading my book so they become more confident around me. As long as they are happy and healthy that’s all that matters. Thanks again! :D

Back