• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Time to book the dreaded vets tomorrow, bad eye bun worried mum :-(

I'm guessing it's Baytril?

I know someone who put a bit of strawberry Ribena in the end of the syringe to try and disguise the taste. I find a small square of toast works best, or a malted shreddie :D (or perhaps more than one?)

I know, that's a lot of meds .... Good luck.

Sorry not to have got to this earlier .. Been a day of firefighting!

No that’s what I expected to get was baytril and I know that tastes foul (not first hand mind lol!). It’s something called Sulfatrim which I never heard of when I worked in the vets. I smelt it and it didn’t smell too bad really, I think he’s just a fuss-pot who likes being grumpy.

I saw someone on the Internet who suggested blackcurrent squash, well technically Ribena like you said.....offered the boys some with no meds to see if it excited them, both ignored it and Truffle threw the bowl at me! Oh ok, it sounds like I need to give toast or bread a go then before going onto man handling him. Is a bit of bread or toast every day for 6 days ok? And I’d have to give the same to Luther (without meds) or Truffle won’t trust it....

Thank you so much :) oh no don’t be silly, I know you have your own things going on and your buns <3 I hope they are doing well, and you! X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aww poor Truffle. He does look sorry for himself. If only they could understand the nasty medicine will make them better and if they just grit their teeth and swallow it it'll all be over in seconds!

I know it’s hard knowing your doing the right thing, but they make you feel so bad. With the cats I just get on with it and shove things in job done, but I just can’t do that with the bunnies because they feel so much more delicate and they can hold a mighty grudge! Lol

Vibes for Truffle & his meds time. I've said it before & I'll say it again ..if he likes fenugreek the powder is fab at disguising meds as its quite strong . It may not work but worth a try. Boo was fooled x

I used softened nuggets, ellas kitchen or grated pear with fenugreek - mush it all in together

Vibes for Truffle & his meds time. I've said it before & I'll say it again ..if he likes fenugreek the powder is fab at disguising meds as its quite strong . It may not work but worth a try. Boo was fooled x

I used softened nuggets, ellas kitchen or grated pear with fenugreek - mush it all in together

Thank you :)
I’m not going to lie I had to google what that was lol! I have seen it written before but never known.
Thank you I will have a look into that, I’m learning lots of new ideas today!

Would this version work?

1a07a317bedf81704be12a8916ff0013.jpg

Last edited:
No that’s what I expected to get was baytril and I know that tastes foul (not first hand mind lol!). It’s something called Sulfatrim which I never heard of when I worked in the vets. I smelt it and it didn’t smell too bad really, I think he’s just a fuss-pot who likes being grumpy.

I saw someone on the Internet who suggested blackcurrent squash, well technically Ribena like you said.....offered the boys some with no meds to see if it excited them, both ignored it and Truffle threw the bowl at me! Oh ok, it sounds like I need to give toast or bread a go then before going onto man handling him. Is a bit of bread or toast every day for 6 days ok? And I’d have to give the same to Luther (without meds) or Truffle won’t trust it....

Thank you so much :) oh no don’t be silly, I know you have your own things going on and your buns <3 I hope they are doing well, and you! X

I thought it must be pretty low a dose for Baytril! Septrin is banana flavoured but I guess not all rabbits will like it.

So the outsmarting mummy saga continues this morning for meds.

Thought I’d try the toast trick as I fancied some myself, and I didn’t give them their breakfast so they’d be hungry.
Cut a little square of toast and the meds were absorbed really well. I topped it with mashed banana to really disguise it. Both had a nibble of the banana on the top off then a bit of toast before simultaneously going “naaaah” and leaving it. So I put the rest of the meds in the mashed banana thinking he’d eat it now he’s hungry.....nope, not a look in.

So I’d had enough, I can’t try anything else like apple sauce or honey or fenugreek because I don’t have a car at the moment so can’t get to the shops. So I had to give up and because I can’t waste the meds I had to scoop the mash/meds concoction into a recovery syringe, coaxed him in the bathroom where I grabbed him and fed him what was now a 10ml amount with the banana and water.

So the next 5 days I think it’s just going to be the hard way. But I think I might do it in mashed banana and syringe it again because he didn’t mind it.
Bunnies are so head strong lol!!

He’s resuming him grump and United front against me now with his new brother.
a61758fbebe6b2e586e55ccc932e1590.jpg

5439c7a8472a0196c7ff7ea826d299da.jpg

56f76e9e2b6791b963a69da3bf2efc2b.jpg

So the outsmarting mummy saga continues this morning for meds.

Thought I’d try the toast trick as I fancied some myself, and I didn’t give them their breakfast so they’d be hungry.
Cut a little square of toast and the meds were absorbed really well. I topped it with mashed banana to really disguise it. Both had a nibble of the banana on the top off then a bit of toast before simultaneously going “naaaah” and leaving it. So I put the rest of the meds in the mashed banana thinking he’d eat it now he’s hungry.....nope, not a look in.

So I’d had enough, I can’t try anything else like apple sauce or honey or fenugreek because I don’t have a car at the moment so can’t get to the shops. So I had to give up and because I can’t waste the meds I had to scoop the mash/meds concoction into a recovery syringe, coaxed him in the bathroom where I grabbed him and fed him what was now a 10ml amount with the banana and water.

So the next 5 days I think it’s just going to be the hard way. But I think I might do it in mashed banana and syringe it again because he didn’t mind it.
Bunnies are so head strong lol!!

He’s resuming him grump and United front against me now with his new brother.
a61758fbebe6b2e586e55ccc932e1590.jpg

5439c7a8472a0196c7ff7ea826d299da.jpg

56f76e9e2b6791b963a69da3bf2efc2b.jpg

Oh dear! :lol:

I shouldn't laugh .. Solidarity amongst the brothers.

Have you invented a new bonding technique?

Oh dear! :lol:

I shouldn't laugh .. Solidarity amongst the brothers.

Have you invented a new bonding technique?

Lol no worries, my OH has been finding my updates on the situation hilarious while I messaged him at work!

It’s annoying when I’m trying to be nice, but I have to say it is really sweet he’s sticking up and caring for his big brother. Can you believe Luther is 1 on Sat! <3

Haha!! Maybe I have! I call it the “treat um mean make um keen” method lmao!

Lol no worries, my OH has been finding my updates on the situation hilarious while I messaged him at work!

It’s annoying when I’m trying to be nice, but I have to say it is really sweet he’s sticking up and caring for his big brother. Can you believe Luther is 1 on Sat! <3

Haha!! Maybe I have! I call it the “treat um mean make um keen” method lmao!

:lol::thumb:

Back