• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those who board their bunnies when they go on holiday/away

everything thats been said and making sure they dont take unvaccinated rabbits...

Thank you Laura :)

What if there was a specific health reason that the bunny was not vaccinated and the boarder was able to minimise the risk to other bunnies staying there at the time?

The first thing I looked for was accommodation size - it's really hard for indoor buns to find anything suitable, particularly if your buns are used to pen-type setups and free-range time as many on here are. I could never leave them somewhere that they would be shut in a 6x2 space for a week - Fudge probably wouldn't mind as she's lazy, but Truffle would go nuts.

I didn't sent out with specific criteria in mind, but I got a good impression from the places I visited. Camp Nibble were the first place they went (before they became a rescue) - I was a new owner at the time and it was just so obvious that they were so knowledgeable and caring that I knew they would be in good hands.

I visited another place, which had a very professional setup - all the right words and paperwork etc, but the lady who showed me around told me whilst chatting that she used to own rabbits but they kept dying - it didn't really inspire confidence! They were more focussed on cats and dogs, and while it was obvious that the staff cared, I wouldn't say they were especially bunny-savvy. Having said that, I would consider using them for short periods as they have decent sized accommodation and it's very close to me.

Mine currently go to Tuckerbunnies and they are just fab. I didn't even visit them before taking them for the first time - I had seen pictures of Maysie's setup on here and it was so good, and after I got in touch with her she sent me an enormous email with loads more pictures and so much information about what they do (I couldn't have thought of anything else to ask if I'd tried) and all their own bunnies etc etc. As with Camp Nibble it was just so obvious that they cared and knew what they were doing.

I don't think necessarily having a particularly professional or business-like setup is important - a good website might help generate business but it doesn't say anything at all about the care they'll receive. Likewise having the right forms only says that they have covered their own backs!

I think having their own rabbits and all the experience that goes with that is really important - I know if anything happened to either of mine while we were away, they would get whatever treatment they needed, and that the best decisions would be made for them if I couldn't be contacted - that's such a massive thing to trust someone with, but it's not really something that you can ascertain by having a list of questions answered.

Goash -I've gone on a bit. I think I'm just trying to say that it's more about getting a feel for the people, rather than necessarily ticking boxes.

Thank You for the kind words Sharon, we are very lucky we enjoy what we do and we hope we do it right and to read something like this is lovely. We don't have a website for Tuckerbunnies so I do send out email's on Boarding information and photo's of the accommodation and so I try to cover everything in one email hence it's so long .

Thank You
xx

Thakn you. That's very useful.

Ok, just ran a quote with them. To include vet cover of up to £350 per animal up to an annual limit of £2000, pet plan are £258.80 per year which can be paid in ten interest free payments.

They do two levels above that and the next one is £1250 per animal up to an annual limit of £3000.

Didn't ask about the third!

Hope that helps a bit more!

Thank you Laura :)

What if there was a specific health reason that the bunny was not vaccinated and the boarder was able to minimise the risk to other bunnies staying there at the time?

I may be disagreed with here and this is only my personal opinion but...

I would personally not be comfortable sending my buns to a boarding that took on unvac rabbits.... even if the risk is small its still a risk... >_< sorry if I annoy anyone with this but its how i feel

I was thinking of you when I asked :lol:

Thank you *hearts smiley* *smiley smiley*

TRC ask me to sign a form, to say that the risk taken by not being vaccinated is mine, and that the risk is more to my rabbit, rather than to the others in the vaccinity.

Other forms include the fact that if the rabbit needs veterinary care, its my responsibility to pay upon my return. I like that, as it shows they are prepared to pay for veterinary care where needed, but obviously need to claim it back.

I may be disagreed with here and this is only my personal opinion but...

I would personally not be comfortable sending my buns to a boarding that took on unvac rabbits.... even if the risk is small its still a risk... >_< sorry if I annoy anyone with this but its how i feel

I'm after opinions, so don't worry, that's ok :) It doesn't matter if anyone disagrees because we all have different ideas about what we would look for which is why I'm asking, so I'm glad you replied, thank you :)

Ok, just ran a quote with them. To include vet cover of up to £350 per animal up to an annual limit of £2000, pet plan are £258.80 per year which can be paid in ten interest free payments.

They do two levels above that and the next one is £1250 per animal up to an annual limit of £3000.

Didn't ask about the third!

Hope that helps a bit more!

Thank you :)

Things I look for:-

1) Decent sized accommodation (nothing smaller than 6x2x2).
2) Excellent bunny knowledge of things like stasis, fly strike, bloat etc and will happily administer any regular meds etc.
3) A good bunny vet nearby.
4) Someone running the business who actually 'cares' about the animals boarding with them and asks questions about their characterists so that they can tell if they're not behaving normally.
5) Somewhere that insists on vaccinations being up to date.
6) Somwhere that will allow you to phone/text/e-mail to make sure your critters are OK.
7) A 'nice' area - bit difficult really but I wouldn't be happy leaving my bunnies on a sink estate somewhere with burnt out cars and loads of yobs hanging around.
9) Somewhere that will let you visit prior to making your booking.

Wish list :-

Boarding that had a webcam set up on your bunny's accommodation so that you could log in and see if they were OK at any time of the day or night!!!!!!

I've always insisted on visiting any prospective boarding premises before leaving my bunnies there and this gives you a chance to have a good look at the accommodation and a good chat with the person running the boarding. Gut feeling is a wonderful thing! I know when I went to visit Tracy at RNGP Welfare, the first thing that struck me when I walked in was every single rescue bun's accommodation was spotlessly clean and tidy - and there were a LOT of them! It gives you a good feeling that your bunnies are going to be cared for equally well. I also think that if a boarding establishment is prepared to spend a lot of time, effort and money in ensuring that they have excellent facilities, it usually means that they care and will do a good job looking after your pets. Anyone can go to P@H and pick up a dozen two-storey 4ft hutches, charge £3 per night per animal and call themselves a 'boarding facility'. But the person who carefully does their research and gets 6x3 'units' or has kennels made to order and charges a reasonable fee isn't in it just to make some easy money.

Last edited:
Things I look for:-

1) Decent sized accommodation (nothing smaller than 6x2x2).
2) Excellent bunny knowledge of things like stasis, fly strike, bloat etc and will happily administer any regular meds etc.
3) A good bunny vet nearby.
4) Someone running the business who actually 'cares' about the animals boarding with them and asks questions about their characterists so that they can tell if they're not behaving normally.
5) Somewhere that insists on vaccinations being up to date.
6) Somwhere that will allow you to phone/text/e-mail to make sure your critters are OK.
7) A 'nice' area - bit difficult really but I wouldn't be happy leaving my bunnies on a sink estate somewhere with burnt out cars and loads of yobs hanging around.
8) Somewhere that will let you visit prior to making your booking.

Wish list :-

Boarding that had a webcam set up on your bunny's accommodation so that you could log in and see if they were OK at any time of the day or night!!!!!!

I've always insisted on visiting any prospective boarding premises before leaving my bunnies there and this gives you a chance to have a good look at the accommodation and a good chat with the person running the boarding. Gut feeling is a wonderful thing!

That's brilliant, thank you :)

Never considered the webcam thing, but I can see the benefit of it.

What about if the boarder offered a service of coming to meet the bunnies in their home, if the owner wanted and it was feasible, so they could see them in their normal environment and suchlike. Would that interest people or would that not be relevant?

Mackers said:
I've always insisted on visiting any prospective boarding premises before leaving my bunnies there and this gives you a chance to have a good look at the accommodation and a good chat with the person running the boarding. Gut feeling is a wonderful thing! I know when I went to visit Tracy at RNGP Welfare, the first thing that struck me when I walked in was every single rescue bun's accommodation was spotlessly clean and tidy - and there were a LOT of them! It gives you a good feeling that your bunnies are going to be cared for equally well. I also think that if a boarding establishment is prepared to spend a lot of time, effort and money in ensuring that they have excellent facilities, it usually means that they care and will do a good job looking after your pets. Anyone can go to P@H and pick up a dozen two-storey 4ft hutches, charge £3 per night per animal and call themselves a 'boarding facility'. But the person who carefully does their research and gets 6x3 'units' or has kennels made to order and charges a reasonable fee isn't in it just to make some easy money.

That's a big edit, but thank you :)

That's a big edit, but thank you :)

Sorry - LOL!!! I'm not sure that visiting a bunny at home would be of much value because I know from talking to my lovely boarding lady that my buns do not behave as they would normally. For example, they have the option to come out of their accommodation and roam at will around a bunny-proofed room. But she says that they never set foot outside! I guess they feel slightly on guard and much safer in their enclosed area with their litter trays and familiar bits and pieces.

Sorry - LOL!!! I'm not sure that visiting a bunny at home would be of much value because I know from talking to my lovely boarding lady that my buns do not behave as they would normally. For example, they have the option to come out of their accommodation and roam at will around a bunny-proofed room. But she says that they never set foot outside! I guess they feel slightly on guard and much safer in their enclosed area with their litter trays and familiar bits and pieces.

Don't be sorry :D This is all useful and interesting to know. Also useful to know views on how they are different too, so thanks :)

Most important things to me are space - my 3 live in a 6 x 8 shed with attached run and when they go to boarding, they have good sized pen with hutches that are never shut. They get out in a run when the weather's decent but even if they didn't, I wouldn't mind them being in that pen for a week as there is plenty of hopping around room. I really couldn't contemplate them being shut in a hutch for a week unless it was a very very large one.

Also the owner is very caring and knowledgeable about bunnies - she knows way more than me. I know that if they're ill if she can't contact me, she will get them whatever help they need. My last bunny was a regular "dirty bottom" girl and I knew she'd always be kept clean - hugely important to anyone in summer!

Some medical knowledge, obviously wouldn't expect them to be vets but to be able to spot illnesses such as stasis and know what to do in that instance.
Experience with rabbits, and the ability to nurse them if something happened.
Indoor space.
Quiet. (For Smudge)
Some space or divider between them and other rabbits (for Nutmeg)
Refusal to board unvaccinated bunnies, or a separate space for that purpose.
Locality (again for Smudge who hates car journeys)
Communication, such as an email a day or willingness to let me phone each evening.
Cleanliness.

I haven't boarded, as there is just nowhere I know of that meets all these criteria, the locality is the problem, so I have to make do with someone who comes in twice a day and who is happy for me to phone each evening to make sure everything is ok. At least with them at home if necessary the person looking after them can take them to our own vets who will then board them if they need nursing.

ETA: Am considering getting a pair of webcams so that I can keep an eye on them :oops: <- *blushing face*

Last edited:
Most important things to me are space - my 3 live in a 6 x 8 shed with attached run and when they go to boarding, they have good sized pen with hutches that are never shut. They get out in a run when the weather's decent but even if they didn't, I wouldn't mind them being in that pen for a week as there is plenty of hopping around room. I really couldn't contemplate them being shut in a hutch for a week unless it was a very very large one.

Also the owner is very caring and knowledgeable about bunnies - she knows way more than me. I know that if they're ill if she can't contact me, she will get them whatever help they need. My last bunny was a regular "dirty bottom" girl and I knew she'd always be kept clean - hugely important to anyone in summer!

Lovely, thank you :)

When you say 'good sized' what sort of sizes are you talking?

Would a permanent area of 8ft by 3ft (this would be a hutch- but obviously a large custom made one) be enough or would you want for more? (that's to everyone, I guess).

Last edited:
Some medical knowledge, obviously wouldn't expect them to be vets but to be able to spot illnesses such as stasis and know what to do in that instance.
Experience with rabbits, and the ability to nurse them if something happened.
Indoor space.
Quiet. (For Smudge)
Some space or divider between them and other rabbits (for Nutmeg)
Refusal to board unvaccinated bunnies, or a separate space for that purpose.
Locality (again for Smudge who hates car journeys)
Communication, such as an email a day or willingness to let me phone each evening.
Cleanliness.

I haven't boarded, as there is just nowhere I know of that meets all these criteria, the locality is the problem, so I have to make do with someone who comes in twice a day and who is happy for me to phone each evening to make sure everything is ok. At least with them at home if necessary the person looking after them can take them to our own vets who will then board them if they need nursing.

Thank you :)

Indoor boarding!

1/Largest possible size bigger than 6'x3'(as mine are free range!) (with heating if necessary)
2/That the accommodation is secure with no chance of escape!
3/The accommodation is disinfected between guests!
4/The owner has good rabbit knowledge
5/There is a good rabbit savvy vet near by
6/That the owner is capable of taking care of buns 24/7 should the need arise and give meds!
7/They ask questions about your buns normal routines and foods etc
8/They provide a txt service to let you know how your babies are doing
9/That the owner doesn’t have other animals ie dogs and cats as my buns have never seen them and I don’t want them being frightened plus I wouldn’t trust them not to react to my babies!
10/That all buns on the premises are vaccinated
11/If the buns are actually in the house that they are non-smokers (the house owners not D&D :lol:)

and finally...
12/That they understand my bunnies are my entire world :D!

I hadn't realised how picky I was :lol:

Back