• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking About Teddy

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
So, I lost my beautiful Cookie yesterday and whilst I'm exhausted and numb with grief, I'm also aware that Teddy have lost his lovely little gf.

It's too soon for me to even think of adding another bun, but for his sake, I know I need to consider my next step.

Teddy hasn't been with us that long - only since February this year. Cookie's previous bonds (to Poppet for almost 6 years and as a trio with Ricky for three years) ended with Poppet's passing early in the year.

We found Teddy, living in a house full of people who didn't want him (he came with the room), and took him home there and then. He hadn't been neutered and his hormones were raging, so we kept him and Cookie apart (although there was flirting through the mesh) until he'd been done and healed.

It wasn't really a bonding session - they each needed a special someone and in each other, they found just that. I believe we found him for a reason.

I can't quite remember just now, but I think he moved into her room end of March/beginning of April, which means just over 3 months of companionship.

He definitely helped Cookie (he's about 1.5years to her 6) who was thrilled with his presence.

So - I don't know how strong of a bond a 3-month is? I can tell he's feeling sad, he's very quiet compared to his usual antics (climbing, jumping, running, looking at everything), which I believe is part of his grieving process.

Now, Cookie and Teddy lived/lives indoors, but I also have two outdoor buns (Bella & Bertie). I never even tried bonding the twins (they are brother and sister from the same litter) with Cookie, as Bella made it clear she wasn't willing.

I'm thinking it may be different with Teddy, as he is a very laid back boy - she may be ok with a suitor. As Bella & Bertie (named after Bert in Trophy Wife) were litter mates, they have always been together, and they move as one. Where there's one, there's the other. This could be a potential problem?

Having them as a trio would make sense for me - they could all live indoors during cold months and outdoors during the summer. That would give me more time with all, instead of sharing my time between the two spaces. Plus, if one gets sick/passes away, there is still a pairing - which would make sense for them. And - living indoors, they'd be free-ranging all the time. And - I wouldn't have to find a girl to "replace" Cookie / it'd be an evolvement of the current set up rather than introducing a new bun and all that comes with it...

Two boys and a girl - would that work, if the boys could work out their pecking order?

Or would it be better to leave as is, and find a suitable wifey for Ted?

I'm just thinking "out loud" - input and thoughts would be appreciated x

what a fluffy little sweetheart, he must've looked lovely cuddled up with Cookie :love: Bonding them as a trio sounds like it would work really well for you all - if of course you can get your bunnies to agree :lol: From what I've read 2 boys & 1 girl is generally a little easier than with 2 girls & a boy. I think it would be worth a try, with all the usual precautions in place. People will of course advise that the original pairs bond could be at risk - I question how often that actually happens.

I'd be inclined to give yourself a little time out first, if you find bonding stressful (I do). When the time is right I personally would go for it, some bonds just fall in to place & that includes occasional trios as well. More time with all 3 bunnies sounds perfect. Has Teddy any experience of outside?

what a fluffy little sweetheart, he must've looked lovely cuddled up with Cookie :love: Bonding them as a trio sounds like it would work really well for you all - if of course you can get your bunnies to agree :lol: From what I've read 2 boys & 1 girl is generally a little easier than with 2 girls & a boy. I think it would be worth a try, with all the usual precautions in place. People will of course advise that the original pairs bond could be at risk - I question how often that actually happens.

I'd be inclined to give yourself a little time out first, if you find bonding stressful (I do). When the time is right I personally would go for it, some bonds just fall in to place & that includes occasional trios as well. More time with all 3 bunnies sounds perfect. Has Teddy any experience of outside?

Not really. On warm days, I'd let him and Cookie out front (Bella & Bertie live out back) to run around, eat petals and say hello to neighbours.

The back is quieter and safer in that there is *no way* they can get out or anything get in - it's a yard surrounded by tall concrete walls. It's also quiet (as long as the neighbour has her door closed, lol). The door leads to a small hallway, and across is the bunny room. If they lived together, they could move between the two areas as and when they felt like it.

At the moment they can see, smell and touch noses if the door is open and the grid in place, so they are all aware of each other.

They often sit together on either side of the grid, so I feel that a bond could have potential to be successful.

Back