• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking about getting a rabbit or two and could use some advice pls

Hoptoit

New Kit
Hi folks,

Had a look around this forum at various threads and realised quite quickly that there is a lot of good and helpful info and plenty of good caring owners and experts here. With that in mind I wondered if you could give me abit of advice and/or opinions pls.

Basically I am thinking (nothing is definite so pls no-one go to too much trouble to help me in case it doesn't work out) about getting a rabbit or possibly two and want to check out if I am really capable of providing them with the care that they need and deserve if I decide to go ahead with getting one(or two). Also to see what steps I need to take.

Ok not sure how to proceed exactly but figured if I give you a bit of background info on me and what I can provide you folks might be able to tell me where I am lacking and if owning rabbits is feasible or not. Had a rabbit (dwarf lop, who was nuts;)) a few years back who lived to a good age and seemed to be happy and healthy. He was housed in a hutch within a hut and got access (weather permitting) to a run which lay outside and the house when we brought him in. He was very tame and extremely playful.

Since then I have moved tho and now stay in a smaller house with a MUCH smaller garden. Due to various reasons (space, security, neighbours cats and dogs etc etc) I think that keeping a rabbit outside is a non starter, so I reckon my only option would be a house rabbit.

I don't work at the min but am hoping to get a job sorted out in the future so there will be times when the house will be empty. With this in mind I figured that getting some company for a rabbit (such as another rabbit) would be a good idea? I reckon that a small, currently vacant, upstairs back room would be the best place to keep them. The room has a shower cabinet, which is used, in it but is well ventilated (extractor fan, windows) so although I am not sure I dont think that would be a problem. There is nothing permanent in the room, currently used as a 'storage area':roll: so no cables to worry about. I would like to be able to bring the rabbit out at times into the rest of the house where there are plenty of cables, but he/she would be under supervision and I didn't have any problems with that with my previous rabbit.

I figured that i can probably get a friend who is a joiner to knock together a covered sleeping area and could get some kind of easy to wipe flooring and some kind of fencing to corner off an area within the room. I would hope to be able to train the rabbit/s to use a litter tray which would hopefully cut down on cleaning time.

I realise it's not much to go on but wondered if anyone could tell me what they thought and how feasible a plan it is? Also what I should be looking into and what I am lacking? HOWEVER as I said nothing is definite and it is merely an idea at the min, which i wanted to see if it was worth pursuing. So I dont want anyone to go to any trouble, which I notice they have kindly done in answering others' requests and questions. To be honest any advice or opinion would be very much appreciated, including criticism, as at the end of the day the pets' wellbeing is the most important part and not how happy i will be to have them.

If you have managed to get thro all this and are still awake, thank you very much...and go and have a coffee:shock:

Best wishes:)

If you DO get a rabbit you may wish to get a rescue bun. They are usually neutered so much better with litter habits.

All ours are indoor buns with each pair having their own rooms with a base. I am hoping to bond them into a four so they can have a bit more space. With our lops what we did was to get a dog crate and create an extra shelf. This is their toilet and sleeping area and the door has been taken off so they come and go as they please. I prefer this to what my other pair have as it's more substantial but isn't big enough to close them away at night so I have had to make something bigger for my other two as the room they are in isn't totally bunnyproofed yet but I much prefer the dog crate.

This thread shows how we made it... http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=226875

And this shows it in use... http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=230429

I would definitely get 2 rabbits regardless, one would be lonely even if you are with him 24/7 as they like to have company from their own kind as well :)

I would get a boy/girl pair from a rescue centre. If you prefer to go to a pet shop or breeder you will need to get your buns vaccinated and neutered, it'll improve their health and their behaviour :)

The RSPCA minimum guideline for a hutch is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft - so if your room is bigger than that it sounds really good, especially if they'll have free range time around the house when you're in :D

If you neuter them they will be much easier to litter train!!

If you go ahead, defo get a bonded, neutered pair from a rescue. We bought ours at PAH, but now I wish I had gone to a rescue. Have a look at the rescue section on this site, there may be a pair near you that need a home.

You are wise to look into it all before committing - we didn't research enough really, especailly about bonding and vet bills. We would still have got them I think, but I realise now that if they had become ill in the early weeks I wouldn't have known what to do. Since reading this site I feel much better prepared for the signs and symptoms.

Thank you very much to all of you for some helpful advice. Definetely gives me some food for thought and some great ideas. :thumb:

@Schuette thats a comfy looking home you have put together:D

Out of interest I realise this is kinda a daft, how long is a piece of string, type question but any idea how often rescue pairs become available? I know there are many random factors but just to try and get an idea.

Out of interest I realise this is kinda a daft, how long is a piece of string, type question but any idea how often rescue pairs become available? I know there are many random factors but just to try and get an idea.

Many rescues often have pairs available.

If you take a look in the Search on Rabbit Rehome, you can then search for Status = Bonded. Also, many of the rescue websites indicate which of their rabbits are already in pairs.

Hope this helps.

Hiya! :wave:

Well done you for doing your research before committing, I wish everyone would!! :roll:

I don't see why you shouldn't get buns (if you've £200 every month to spend!) as it sounds like you have the room. Please do get 2 though - buns are social animals that would naturally live in large groups, so it's only fair that they have somebun to snuggle with, groom and 'talk' to. I can't recommend a rescue pair highly enough either, as they'll be neutered, vaccinated and bonded already, which will save money and a huuuge amount of stress!! It'd also be a lovely thing to help buns in need! Take a look through some past threads for ideas on turning a room into a bunny palace - there are lots on here!

Keep us updated, and if you've got any more questions, just ask! :D

Hello, welcome to the forum and well done for thinking about the care a rabbit needs before getting one :)

Alot of rescues have pairs but it depends on what they have in at the time. If they dont have any pairs which catch your eye, they may be more than happy to bond 2 single bunnies for you to make a happy couple. Sometimes they have litter mates who have been living together anyway.

Hope this helps :wave:

Hi folks :)

Thanks for the welcome and all the advice, will keep you posted and no doubt ask a few more questions in the process.

One of my friends recently got 2 bunnies from a rescue and she's very happy with them.

Hi!:wave:

Well done for all the research - must say - ibe learnt ALOT from this forum & so glad its here to learn from! Id def. get a rescue bonded pair - the love their own company so much! Alot of rescue centre will also make sure its the right pair for you & be there for support if needed!:D

If they had a room for them selves - thats fantastic! It would be great for them to also be able to see out a window or something so they dont feel too closed in & have something to look at during the day when oyur not around - also make it less scary for them when they get more acces ot the rest of your home!

Good luck...they sound like they will be lucky buns! Perhaps also have a look at insurance costs.....Im sure some have it & others dont....but sure it helps when its needed! xxxx;)

welcome to the forum, I would definatly advise like others on here to get a bonded pair from a rescue, good luck and keep us updated:wave:

Back