• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Think I'm losing Toffee-diet help please post 31 !

Hi everyone, he's home safe, and looking very grumpy.
Vet had a good chat with me, and basically she said that Toffees top teeth (all molars, incisors are fine) look like the teeth of an old rabbit, and have almost worn away ! His bottom teeth have hardly grown at all since his last dental, which was just 5 weeks ago, and he has no mouth ulcers, which is good news. She also said that his teeth are very soft, and only required a very light rasp a couple of times, to wear them down (the bottom ones) She said that with the way they are, it doesn't matter what hay I give him, it's not going to make a difference to his teeth, it's impossible for him to grind it. She gave me a pack of critical care, and didn't charge me, which I thought was very nice of her, think she felt sorry for me !
So for now, we carry on. Once his mouth feels better, I am going to trial him on various softer foods. I am going to get a grinder to crush nuggets and fibre first, with herbs etc. As long as he is happy and not in pain, I'm not going to beat myself up over him not eating hay.
Thank you everyone for your love and helpful advice, I just don't know where I would be without the support of you lovely understanding people. Xxxxxxxx

Well this sounds like a hopeful beginning for little Toffee! If the teeth don't work, the main thing is to keep the gut/digestion healthy with as much fibre as possible. There are loads of ways to do this, and a grinder is a good start :D

Onwards and upwards for Toffee (and you)

Lovely update! i think its a great idea to do the food mashing thing. when you are a little calmer and not on purple alert, take some time out to look after yourselves x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So glad Toffee ' s home. The grinder is a brilliant idea. Snowy loved his herbs and apple and cabbage and carrot and also hay all wizzed up. He was always a good body weight and in good condition even with his rubbish teeth. Go for it Toffee!!

I'm so pleased Toffee's home, I've been thinking about the wee little fella all afternoon. I'm glad you've got a plan of action for helping him to eat, hopefully you're feeling a bit brighter about it all now. xx

I'm glad Toffee is home :)

For the record, I had a rabbit who had a dental every 2 weeks 2 days for a good few months until we discovered abscesses and treated them. He did fine on dentals with that short duration in between (he was 5, at the time- he's now 8), I just caught it quick, and he recovered well, so it was not major issue for him. So it is possible.

I hope you manage to find a diet that works for him :)

Has the vet shared why s/he thinks that this has became a problem now (and now before)?

please can I have some advice of feeding my poor bun Toffee. I was given critical care for him, to get him eating after GA on Tuesday, he managed to eat this himself off his dish. He's desperately trying to eat hay. I have had a go at making him a softer feed, as I know this is what some of you have done successfully. I don't have a blender or grinder, so Ive had to do it all by hand. I've crushed pellets, sticks of fibrefirst, a couple of fenugreek crunchies, and a few rolled oats. I spent hours chopping up hay to tiny tiny pieces of hay, and mixed that in too. To serve, I mix a drop of water in, and grated carrot. He's been wolfing it down, my problem is, how much do I give, and how often ? His poos are so wet still, so I'm trying really hard to get fibre into him, I have to be careful though, as he cant tolerate a lot of veg or fresh grass.
I am exhausted, and have blisters on my hand through cutting hay, but if it helps him, I don't mind.
Anyway, this is what Ive mixed for him-what do you think ? Also how do others chop hay, I cant afford a food processor
image.jpg2_zps2h6hngo3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks everyone x

Aw, bless you doing all that for him. Does Toffee manage readigrass ok? that is finer, easier to chew & ready chopped

Aw, bless you doing all that for him. Does Toffee manage readigrass ok? that is finer, easier to chew & ready chopped

Yes he can, he loves it, but he can only have small amounts. I'm trying to balance one end of of him, with the other !

Sorry I really don't know how to advise :( it sounds a really difficult one to manage. If he is ok with herbs then maybe these would be better tolerated by his tum than grated carrots - more snipping though. I know oats are good but very calorific. I guess a lot would depend on whether he is the right weight. Hope you get something that works for him

Hi again. You are so kind doing these things for Toffee. I cut hay with sharp scissors and use a mortar and pestle for crushing as I don't always use the liquidiser and grinder. It will all be great for Toffee. Apple, carrot and beetroot will grate easily. Lots of love and vibes for him.

please can I have some advice of feeding my poor bun Toffee. I was given critical care for him, to get him eating after GA on Tuesday, he managed to eat this himself off his dish. He's desperately trying to eat hay. I have had a go at making him a softer feed, as I know this is what some of you have done successfully. I don't have a blender or grinder, so Ive had to do it all by hand. I've crushed pellets, sticks of fibrefirst, a couple of fenugreek crunchies, and a few rolled oats. I spent hours chopping up hay to tiny tiny pieces of hay, and mixed that in too. To serve, I mix a drop of water in, and grated carrot. He's been wolfing it down, my problem is, how much do I give, and how often ? His poos are so wet still, so I'm trying really hard to get fibre into him, I have to be careful though, as he cant tolerate a lot of veg or fresh grass.
I am exhausted, and have blisters on my hand through cutting hay, but if it helps him, I don't mind.
Anyway, this is what Ive mixed for him-what do you think ? Also how do others chop hay, I cant afford a food processor
image.jpg2_zps2h6hngo3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks everyone x

To be honest a food processor won't necessarily chop hay into fine pieces. A coffee grinder may, and they are very cheap.

A pair of very sharp scissors is the best thing, I find.

Have you got any horsey feed places near by? They often sell "plain chop" which is chopped hay (you need to ask though as some are chopped straw), you can also get simple systems chopped timothy too - if there is a local stockist.

I hope he starts eating better soon.

Have you got any fibreplex? that can be useful.

Aww he sounds like my wee bunny at the minute. He had a dental last Friday and will only eat mushy pellets and little bits of banana. I've tried everything to get him to eat hay and he's having none of it. I hope toffee feels better soon sending vibes xx

Have you got any horsey feed places near by? They often sell "plain chop" which is chopped hay (you need to ask though as some are chopped straw), you can also get simple systems chopped timothy too - if there is a local stockist.

I hope he starts eating better soon.

Have you got any fibreplex? that can be useful.

I'll have a look at horsey places, we are a bit out of the way though here, so not sure. Fibreplex ! couldn't live without it, it's been brilliant for Toff, sooo expensive though, still never mind. He's such a happy bun, as long as he keeps fighting on, so will I !

Aww he sounds like my wee bunny at the minute. He had a dental last Friday and will only eat mushy pellets and little bits of banana. I've tried everything to get him to eat hay and he's having none of it. I hope toffee feels better soon sending vibes xx

Oh thank you so much. Sorry your bun is struggling too, I hope he starts eating properly too. Toffee has managed finely chopped up hay with his "mush", he seems to love what I'm giving him bless him. X

Back