• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Think Cody Has Bloat :(

Thank u Max. I was reading another post and have seen u had to say goodbye to one of ur buns. I am so so sorry. U give so much to everyone here and never ask for ur self. Sending hugs to u as I know the pain u r in. I truely am so sorry for ur loss and pain xxx

I can bear this waiting. What if this means I am going to have to say goodbye tomorrow, this can't be happening to my boy it just can't. My husband says not to right Cody off but I just can't help think the worst. My beautiful chunky harlequin with the best manners u ever saw. The vet said she never had seen a bunny take fluids so well but that's Cody, never makes a fuss, never complains. My heart is breaking again.

I can bear this waiting. What if this means I am going to have to say goodbye tomorrow, this can't be happening to my boy it just can't. My husband says not to right Cody off but I just can't help think the worst. My beautiful chunky harlequin with the best manners u ever saw. The vet said she never had seen a bunny take fluids so well but that's Cody, never makes a fuss, never complains. My heart is breaking again.

So sorry to hear that Cody is very poorly. Re the 'tubing'- it can be attempted, but if the stomach is not emptying for any reason then it will just bloat up again. Whether 'tubing' is possible or not is a decision that has to be based on the specifics of the individual case.

I wont bombard you with any more information now. How is Cody doing ?

Posted just now before seeing your latest post. Does Cody feel cold to touch ? Is his respiratory rate very fast or very slow ?

If you can get a look at his gums without stressing him out too much do they look very pale ?

Has he had any output overnight ?

Morning Jane. He pooped about 8 or 9 poops about 5 hrs ago. He is a little bit cooler but not too bad. I have had a water bottle under his vet bed for him. I need to wsrm it again now. He has started to slightly tooth grind, I have heard him worse though but the tramadol was given at 6.45pm so is probably wearing off. I will give again at 6.30am. I am so afraid of something bursting inside him before we get him to vet. Not long now though, 2 hrs til we leave.

Sorry his breathing appears ok still. I don't think I could get a look at his gums to be honest. What would that show?? Anemia? Shock ? I feel out of my depth right now.

He was laid in my knee for 30mins while I stroked him and talked to him and cried on him. He still seems bright enough to a point as he eventually climbed off my knees.

I think that all you can do now is comfort him and keep him warm. I would not administer anything more by mouth. It will just make the bloat worse. Do you have any analgesia you could give by injection ? I mean has the Vet OK'd you to do this if necessary ?

I would not attempt anything like abdominal massage at all either. I really hope that Cody can pull through.

No Jane I don't have any injectable pain relief :( should I not give the tramadol orally?? Should I wait til we r ate vets at 9am for him to inject pain relief?? I gave him new water bottle there now and put heating on again. He is beside the radiator in a dog pen. I just love him so much. He has been the bravest soul. I hope he can pull through. Thank u jane. It's good to have u there especially at this time of the morning. My husband is working night shift so its just me and Code and Oliver.

No Jane I don't have any injectable pain relief :( should I not give the tramadol orally?? Should I wait til we r ate vets at 9am for him to inject pain relief?? I gave him new water bottle there now and put heating on again. He is beside the radiator in a dog pen. I just love him so much. He has been the bravest soul. I hope he can pull through. Thank u jane. It's good to have u there especially at this time of the morning. My husband is working night shift so its just me and Code and Oliver.

To be honest I dont think giving medication orally will do much as it'll just sit in his stomach. Is there a Vet you could call now to seek qualified advice ?

I don't have any advice, but I'm thinking of you and sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Thinking of you Nicky. Let me know how things go for you and Cody xx

OK so just caught an hour sleep after coming back from vet. He says it's gas in actual stomach causing it to ve very distended. Says from a partial blockage. So Cody is on Tramadol, cisapride, lactulose, tyagamet, Emeprid 3 times a day. He had first dose of these at vets. Vet said food in stomach so not to syringe feed as don't want to distended stomach further. Cody had a blockage last year but in the lower area so syringe feeding was recommended. He said to feed only about 5ml twice a day. And hourly massage. Vet thinks he has a good chance of pulling through but he is very down at the moment . Cody was thirsty so he drank about 7ml from a syringe - no forcing. How much fluid is safe to give in this instance? ? I am relieved it's not bloat but he is still very poorly. I panicked see his belly so swollen anx I have never felt it like that before so feared the worst. Thanks for ur vibes and hope the meds start to work soon. X

Back