• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The bunny food thread

The baby corn on the cob. I don't think they're allowed the full size...

This week they've tried dog rose leaves and stalks (very yummy), summer cabbage & lemon balm and smooth thistle. They have also tried as shreddie each as I read it's a good thing to use to hide medication and some of the oxbow digestive pellets that smell like aniseed.

I really should write this down as I feed them.
The good news is I found some more bramble in the garden and another couple of forage plants too that I can try next week.

Also my galens garden seeds are ready to be potted up and my herb garden is still growing. We've also brought some more rabbit friendly seeds so will be growing more plants too. I might try picking some white nettle too for them to try fresh.

I look super healthy in the supermarket too, then go home and eat cake :D

yes the full size ones, the corn doesn't digest and could potentially cause a blockage, or GI statis, so its advised not to feed them, even though pet shops still sell them as treats just like they do with other unhealthy stuff like yogurt drops

These week we're trying asparagus, tender steam broccoli, fresh and dried rose petals, dried sunflower, marigold and hibiscus petals, dried carrot and flaked pea.

I am absolutely sure I posted a question about peas but now can't find it so must have been a dream.
So now in reality, do I give the whole pea in a pod or just the pod with peas removed? Is Aloe Vera safe, I grow them specifically to help treat my eczema but would be great if Hoppity could benefit too?

Interesting. Some of the flowers listed, I'm pretty sure are poisonious though (hollyhock & geranium for instance). We need to get the verified somehow as the website seems to have closed, I have emailed RWAF in the first instance.

I do firmly believe the key to health is feeding as much variety as possible.

Last edited:
Interesting. Some of the flowers listed, I'm pretty sure are poisonious though (hollyhock & geranium for instance). We need to get the verified somehow as the website seems to have closed, I have emailed RWAF in the first instance.

I do firmly believe the key to health is feeding as much variety as possible.

It would be good if that page could be removed totally from internet, aloe vera can be fatal for rabbits! When I looked further nearly every page said a strong NO.

I have found another page though that say hollyhock and geranium are safe for rabbits, but it also names a couple of other things that struck me as dodgy. I think I'll stick to the plants whose images are shown on here.

It would be good if that page could be removed totally from internet, aloe vera can be fatal for rabbits! When I looked further nearly every page said a strong NO.

I have found another page though that say hollyhock and geranium are safe for rabbits, but it also names a couple of other things that struck me as dodgy. I think I'll stick to the plants whose images are shown on here.

There was a recent thread about aloe Vera http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...e-for-your-rabbits-health&highlight=Aloe+Vera

I'm feeding Hoppity lots of grass now, great selection picked daily, along with other types of forage but I'm wondering if I should cut down on her hay? Hoppity eats the grass throughout the day and not as much hay aa she used to but I just wanted to check she'll still be getting everything she needs diet wise.

RWAF got back to me and said to use the list from their website and that there was an additional list in the hop to it guide and that they'd be updating their info soon.

My buns have had two new forage plants this week, herb Robert (I think that's what it's called) & fresh mallow.

I think cutting down slightly on your rabbits hay ration now they are having lots of grass is ok as this is what I've done with mine. Obviously making sure they get a bunny sized amount of hay/grass still each a day.

Thank you Tabitha, I'm picking lots of grasses every day and she seems to be leaving the hay alone more and more.
My Collins Complete Guide to British Wild Flowers arrived yesterday and I sat up till 3am going between computer and book. I looked up safe plants online and put crosses beside descriptions in book, circled pictures and stuck post it notes on pages too! Foraging weekend awaits. :)

Mine have been chomping away on roses, petal, stalks, leaves - the lot. They love them.

New favourites are rose leaves, plantain and lavender. I think apple sticks have disappeared but not sure, I wasn't sure about the leaves but just read they're okay so will give her a couple later today. I also was sure that dandelion flowers were a no no but also just read they're fine too so we'll try them too.

Hi

Can any of you please help me out. I want to start feeding my bunnies fresh veg but their is so much different advice not sure where to start and what with .
Bunnies are two 13 week old boys they are brothers.

Hi Maria, mine were slowly introduced to leafy greens at that age so kale, spring greens or similar. It might be worth you starting a new thread though :) Welcome to teh forum :)

This week they have tried fresh forage kale which I've been growing for them and dried meadowsweet that they are not that keen on. Next week they have nectarine to try.

Last edited:
This week they've tried broad leaf plantain and wild geranium which they love. & if I haven't mentioned it they've also had both types of sow thistle too.

Last edited:
This week they've tried, romaine lettuce, pineapple mayweed, nasturtium (SP) and something else that I can't identify from the pots of rabbit food I've been growing because I tidied up all my labels :D but I think is fresh Fengreek

Last edited:
Back