• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The bunny food thread

This week we've tried plum, watermelon and pear all of which went down a treat, savoy cabbage & some knapp weed :)

Last edited:
umm, this week they tried Ice peach, blackberries, lemon thyme, tomatoes and corn flower. They've probably tried some other bunny safe things as I planted out from my 'safe' seed trays and it's all gone :D

They also tried Bok Choi, I'm fairly sure they've had only Pak Choi previously :)

Next week they have Chicory and nectarine to try.

umm, this week they tried Ice peach, blackberries, lemon thyme, tomatoes and corn flower. They've probably tried some other bunny safe things as I planted out from my 'safe' seed trays and it's all gone :D

They also tried Bok Choi, I'm fairly sure they've had only Pak Choi previously :)

Next week they have Chicory and nectarine to try.

Did they like the Bok Choi (and the Pak Choi for that matter!)? :)

Mine killed off 3 lavender pot plants, 3 mint plants, 3 campanula flowers and 2 marguerite daisies pots this summer. :lol: She loves: kale, parsley, mint, basil, kale, more kale, carrot, broccoli stems, celery, horseradish leaves, chicory, beetroot tops, carrot tops, sage leaves, pak choi, chinese leaves, spring greens, rocket, dried lemon balm, magnolia flowers, fresh rose leaves (not dried,) dandelions, radish leaves and stalks, cabbage leaves, radish, dried pineapple, grape, watermelon rind, rye grass, nasturium leaves, apple and pear leaves and twigs (dried is better).. Her bottom twerks when given: papaya, peach flesh, banana, pointy cabbage! So far what she has rejected are: cucumber; asparagus stalk, dill, oregano, rosemary and thyme when given fresh, but she will nibble on my thyme plant. Squash she ate once then wouldn't eat next time. Cauli she eats sometimes, sometimes not. Some things she won't eat initially, then eats later when dried or develops a taste for.... Tried her on some camomile yesterday she ignored at the time but had vanished today. She'll eat most hays and seems to prefer a variety to be recycled at times.. ( was putting the bits from her haybox she wasn't eating into her litter tray and then she'd pick it out to eat all of a sudden...) She also likes: Rosewood Natures Salad, Wilkos Green oat hay and dandelion, Burgess dried herbs mixes, those dried corn cob things (she had one, then discovered they are not east to digest for bunnies so she only gets a single niblet now, every few months, same with locust bean treats,) - Beaphar Dental treats and Wilko carrot/fruit munchies.

It would be good if that page could be removed totally from internet, aloe vera can be fatal for rabbits! When I looked further nearly every page said a strong NO.

I have found another page though that say hollyhock and geranium are safe for rabbits, but it also names a couple of other things that struck me as dodgy. I think I'll stick to the plants whose images are shown on here.

Geriniums - the normal ones grown in gardens and pots, are toxic! They have another true name beginning with Pera... ? Whereas WILD Gernanium is not toxic to rabbits.

Pak choy is yummy, bok not so much. They've also tried red lettuce, red cabbage, pineapple and tomatoes all of which they like.

Last edited:
Geriniums - the normal ones grown in gardens and pots, are toxic! They have another true name beginning with Pera... ? Whereas WILD Gernanium is not toxic to rabbits.
Pelargonium :) I have them in my garden and they come in for winter to avoid the frost.

Lopsy, rabbit of all tastes, has decided he doesn't like courgette. Cucumber, yes, but not courgette. Good thing I like it! We're trying him on different veggies as the forage has dropped off: this weekend he'll get broccoli to try, and there's cabbage for him as well. He likes kale, and I've not seen any differences but I don't give him more than the bottom of the bowl full!

I can safely say that like courgette and celery Artichoke leaves and Asparagus have not been a hit with any of my buns.

The only items on the RWA bunny safe list they've not tried now are butternut squash and Pumpkin.

They've also tried nearly 30 different types of forage now too.

Back