• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The babies are here!!

I'm not sure I fancy little ones chances if you werer to remove it completely but if you cant get littleun to feed from mum in that way then you could supplement its feeds with some goats milks or replacement kitten milk and take it out to feed it but pop it back with the others when done?

that is exactly what we have tried and he is still with us and is a tiny bit better, we are hoping he will make it, i also spoke to a vet and it was suggested to give the kit a tiny drop of honey about an hour before we try this, that gave him the boost of energy to suckle whereas before he had no energy....its just so lucky i have such a good bond with dora, first i held the kit in my hand and she gave him a good clean (i also did that after i gave him the honey so she could clean it away from his tiny little mouth and nose) she is 100% secure with me, she has fed the babies while i had her hutch open, she also allowed me to keep trying to put the kit under her belly several times.

so what we tried first was me laying dora on her back and exposing a teat (oddly i didnt expect her to let me as she hates her belly being touched)...the kit tried to suckle but i dont think he was getting any, so dora let me move her more onto her side and then he had a good suckle, he didnt get a round belly but you could clearly see the wrinkles in his tummy were less, this could all fail and we could still lose the kit but at least we can say we fought for his tiny life.....i just hope it works.

update........we are seeing improvement on the little one, his wrinkles are almost gone, we are very tired and have a long way to go, but he/she is showing signs of improvement, of course, still very tiny though, i just hope our perseverance pays off and the kit survives, me and my partner are now very attached and hope what we are doing is going to work.

all i can do is praise dora, she has let me lay her in any position i want to put her in, i think it helped by me showing her the kit in my hand first, she gave him a good clean which sparks him into life, then i lay her on her side and she doesnt move a muscle until i lift her to let her know we are done, then she gives him another clean before jumping down and having a well deserved drink and a munch on some fresh apple....she truly is a rabbit one of a kind....unbelievable.:love:

Good luck with the little one, I really hope he makes it. If he does I think it will answer the which one to keep question. (we kept the runt of our litter too, mostly because I couldn't be saddling anyone else with his vets bills!)

He has been well worth it though, he is a cutie and I really was amazed at his survival.

Oh gosh I'm so sorry the little one didnt make it :cry:
I guess mother nature knows best but it must be so hard after building such a relationship with the little one. You have done everything that you could.
I hope the others continue to thrive and please give some noserubs to Dora from me, she sounds like a very special bunny :love:
Binky free little one x

we had a very strong bond with the little one, but maybe now he/she can binky happily where ever she/he is...:)

heres a pic update.....6 days old...:love:

DSC00024.jpg

doesnt it just make your heart melt...:love::D

OMG :love::love::love::love::love:
They are so gorgeous :love::love::love:

I am so sorry for the little one that didnt survive :( When my female had a litter of kits (over a year ago now) I woke up to findone of the kits in the corner of her cage out of the nest i picked him/her up and unfortunately the kit passed away due to being cold :cry::cry: After i checked the other kits i noticed one was missing and where the other kit was, was another huddled up and cold but still a little warm! He/she was still alive so i tried warming her up but unfortunately she died in my hand at 7 days old :cry::cry::cry::cry: At the time i felt like it was my fault for not checking on them but who was to know they were going to leave the nest :cry::cry:

You tried everything you could for the baby bunny and he/she will now be happy at the bridge with all the other bunnies :)

Sending vibes for the 5 remaining kits :love::love:

we had a very strong bond with the little one, but maybe now he/she can binky happily where ever she/he is...:)

heres a pic update.....6 days old...:love:

DSC00024.jpg

doesnt it just make your heart melt...:love::D

Awww so cute love them :love:

Back