• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tear Duct Infection U/D p27 Found the Cause!

Oh poor Ginger :(

Interesting that the vet let you do a couple of test jabs with sterile water. I hope my vet suggests that, if we go down the Depocillin route. I've never injected a bun myself. I've noticed a few threads on giving injections at home, so I'll have to do some reading I think.

One thing i can't stress enough is to make sure, if you do spill any, that you clean it thoroughly as ingested depocillin can kill a bun, as it destroys the bacteria in the gut. This could happen to injected bun, or bonded partner, or both, if you see what i mean :)

Gingers a dream to inject, but i know not all buns are. I find it really easy, but you need two people, one to hold bun, one to do the injections as you need to change needles after drawing the depocillin and before injecting.

I think I'm a bit late to add much to this but Grim has always had infections in his tear ducts as they're blocked up by his tooth roots. He was on eye drops but they actually caused him irritation so we switched to a cream which worked much better. Baytril does seem to do him some good, but if they get very bad, then depocillin injections work really well.

You can read about nasolacrimal duct flushes (tear duct flushes) on here

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/DacrocystitisRabbit.html

Thanks Jane :wave:

Wow, that's a lot of big words! :oops: Interesting reading though. I think I understand the procedure a bit better. The vet said Billy had nice wide openings to his tear ducts, which was part of the reason why she feels confident to do it conscious.

Nice that it mentions how much it helps to have a bonded partner to help clean the face and eyes. Storm is certainly very good at looking after her man in that way!

Im so pleased you have an action plan for billy helen i found it so blooming frustrating when charlie kept having to go back and fowards to the vets and it kept on running again :cry:

Anyway our vet said at the time it looked very much that charlie's previous owner had neglected his poorly eye it was a real deep seated infection and this is why it needed more aggressive treatment. xx

Billy has just had his tear ducts flushed. The vet was off sick on Tuesday, so we had to reschedule for today, as none of the other vets were confident enough to do a flush under local anaesthetic.

She said it went really well. He was a good boy and stayed very still. She thinks she's got it all out. :) His eyes do look sore now though, understandable I guess.

He's now got more Tiacil drops and some banana flavoured Septrin for the next week. If there's no improvement by the end of the week he'll go on to Depocillin injections. I'm feeling quite relieved for now that I don't have to learn how to inject him myself! :shock:

Well, after two flushes, plenty of antibiotics, eye drops and goodness knows how much money, we've found the cause!

I was cleaning Billy's nose on a particularly snotty day and spotted a bit of hay sticking out. Thinking it would just be a tiny bit that had got stuck to the snot, I gave it a pull... What came out was about four inches long! :shock:

I've never seen anything like it! It was covered in goo... I very nearly threw up! :oops:

The vet agrees it was probably the cause. And since then he's been fine! I think that was about two weeks ago now. I didn't want to say anything too soon in case I jinxed it! :oops: But I think I can safely say now that it was the hay all along!

Flippin' hay! :lol:

Well, after two flushes, plenty of antibiotics, eye drops and goodness knows how much money, we've found the cause!

I was cleaning Billy's nose on a particularly snotty day and spotted a bit of hay sticking out. Thinking it would just be a tiny bit that had got stuck to the snot, I gave it a pull... What came out was about four inches long! :shock:

I've never seen anything like it! It was covered in goo... I very nearly threw up! :oops:

The vet agrees it was probably the cause. And since then he's been fine! I think that was about two weeks ago now. I didn't want to say anything too soon in case I jinxed it! :oops: But I think I can safely say now that it was the hay all along!

Flippin' hay! :lol:

I've heard of this a few times lately - how scary! But very glad to hear he is ok. :)

:shock: Really?! So hay up the nose is a common medical complaint in buns? I thought Billy was just a hay inhaling freak! :lol:

I dont know if its common as such, but I've heard of it happening to 2 other bunnies in the last week - as in I heard it in the last week, not it happened in the last week :oops::oops::lol: Ignore me :roll::lol:

It must have smelt gooooood :D

Back